New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New WS6 too low???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New WS6 too low???

First I'm so glad I found this forum, I've been out of cars and into bikes for awhile, I need the help!

Ok, I've had this car a week...still figuring out everything thats been done to it. The guy told me he dropped it with Eibachs by 1", an gave me the stock springs. I also think I have smaller tires than the 275/40R17, but I have to look again, I'm spending good govt time right now..lol. But I mean the front end scrapes on everything! I've had about 5 other firebirds/Trans ams/Camaros so I understand how to drive the darn things, I've never had one scrape this bad. The car has just over 100K on it, so we were thinkin the suspension is going to need some tuning up.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-17-2012, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Hi! Welcome back into the game!! Post up some pics and yea not sure if they are any Eibachs made that lower our car an inch?
Old 01-17-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they are eibachs, they can be prokits (black) or sportline (red). Both drop the car more than an 1in. The Prokits are about 1.2", the sportline even lower. Post up some pics or if you can find the model# on the springs, it would help determine which ones.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Sounds like the ONLY thing he replaced was the springs, either case (pro kit or sportline), the car is probably closer to a 1.4-1.6" drop if you're on the stock shocks. With 100k on the car, it's safe to say the shocks are in need of replacement as well as some lower control arms (lca's) to compliment the altered suspension. I would start with your shocks though. My current set up is about as low as I can go without scraping 'abnormally.'
Old 01-17-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-17-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would put the stock springs back on. Eibachs spring rates are terrible for these cars. My old LT1 car came with them and I hated them and went back to stock.

I have Strano springs & Konis which drop my car about 1.25" and I still have to hit speed bumps and steep driveways at an angle. BTW you may need shocks they will not change ride height only the speed at which the spring reacts...
Old 01-18-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It takes a different driving style to drive a lowered car. You gotte take almost any incline or decline on a huge angle. Ive driven a few lowered cars in my time and its do-able. Speed bumps are the worst but most anything else can be gotten past without scraping, its all in the approaching angle!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

post pics, imo eibach springs look killer but suck in every other way, have been in 2 cars with them and i just couldnt drive something like that with the way the roads are in ohio
Old 01-18-2012, 11:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by udienow
It takes a different driving style to drive a lowered car. You gotte take almost any incline or decline on a huge angle. Ive driven a few lowered cars in my time and its do-able. Speed bumps are the worst but most anything else can be gotten past without scraping, its all in the approaching angle!
Having owned lowered cars, I have had to learn this the hard way. After a while, it becomes natural habit.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 01-18-2012, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Mine came from the seller on Eibachs with stock shocks, and they were lowered 1.5". It's much more difficult to get around in my town with all the hills and bumps, but you just have to remember to take stuff at a decent angle. Surprisingly, I've only scraped once. I scraped that plastic guard at the bottom of the car by going up my driveway too fast. The car is definitely going to need some new shocks though, but that isn't going to be my first thing I do to it. Darn college budget.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:12 PM

wow..you guys are like wikipedia...I haven't been underneath it yet, but I think he said they were prokit Eibachs. I think I agree these have to go...My 95 didn't give me this kind of trouble, but I wasn't sure what the difference was with the WS6 package. I like the low car but if I cant drive it anywhere....

I'll get some pics up this afternoon...
Old 01-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Pics of said car please. My car has a 1 1/4" lowering springs with 28" rear tires.....I can't imagine yours is "too low" just gotta be careful and not drive it like a monster truck lol.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anticop ram air
...+6
Old 01-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TTownFastgirl
First I'm so glad I found this forum, I've been out of cars and into bikes for awhile, I need the help!

Ok, I've had this car a week...still figuring out everything thats been done to it. The guy told me he dropped it with Eibachs by 1", an gave me the stock springs. I also think I have smaller tires than the 275/40R17, but I have to look again, I'm spending good govt time right now..lol. But I mean the front end scrapes on everything! I've had about 5 other firebirds/Trans ams/Camaros so I understand how to drive the darn things, I've never had one scrape this bad. The car has just over 100K on it, so we were thinkin the suspension is going to need some tuning up.

Any suggestions?
Heads up friend.
Eibachs will and do sack pretty bad after that many miles.
Just trash em and the shocks.
If your in the mind of re setting to stock height, then OEM springs are ok.
A better suggestion is to contact Sam Strano and get a set of hid boingers.
I can tell you they are soooo much better than OEM or Eibachs for performance driving.
They don't set the car up too low at all and they are sprung just perfect for F bodies.
Run a set of Bilsteins if your cash strapped or Konis if you have a fat wallet.
The steins work superbly with the strano springs.
Replace your sway bar bushings with new poly units or just get some new strano units.
Again, if your wallet can handle it, grab a Watts link from Sam.
If not, an adjustable PHB will make that F body dance through turns like a belly dancer on crack. LOL
The ride will be noticably better and you won't have to grip the wheel when you hit the occasional piece of torn up pavement.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by udienow
The best thing though is to not live in California as our roads are the worst F-ing roads in this country.
That's why everyone buys SUVs....
Old 01-20-2012, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Cool

Originally Posted by TTownFastgirl

Any suggestions?
Get STRANO'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a 2 inch drop all around and only scrape if I enter head on... a little angle driving for rough stuff and I rarely scrape (It's either the front plastic air dam or the stupid y-pipe that hangs 30ft below the body, and I daily drive 20K a year).. Illinois roads are definitely not the best either... sounds like they are sagging really bad or the drop was more than the guy knew about.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:27 AM
Teching In

I've got a 2 inch drop also and the only thing the scraps on mine if I'm not careful would be the 3 inch y-pipe or the air grabber up front.

My guess is that air grabber up front is scraping for you
Old 01-21-2012, 03:33 AM

Okie, since everyone is so visual....glad I finally looked though, found some bilsteins under there...bad news is we got leaking go on, not sure where from yet and considering I drag on about half the speed bumps I can't avoid I'm kinda to find out.

Last edited by TTownFastgirl; 01-21-2012 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Pic
Old 01-21-2012, 03:48 AM

Guess I should clarify....damn iPad, my laptop is on the fritz.....we have to look tomorrow and figure if it's the engine or trane or what that's leaking. Im readjusting after driving a truck for awhile but I'm pretty careful an still having trouble, makes me wonder if the guy that sold me the car didnt screw something up.

Quick Reply: New WS6 too low???