New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Corsa Clone Catback anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Corsa Clone Catback anyone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160690399320...S:1123&vxp=mtr

I had OBX headers and loved them. Wondering if I should buy this for my Trans Am to replace the stock exhaust. Looks good, and I can vouch for their headers. Maybe this is quality too..
Old 01-19-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Overpriced and quiet mediocre sound.

Quality is good from what I've seen, but no better than any other reputable exhaust company.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Well they are pretty cheap for stainless steel, no?

Plus the sound has to beat stock, right?

Last edited by homerz28; 01-19-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Had and sold the real deal Corsa, tips are great, not a true "muscle car" sound imo. Poor quality, splitting at the seam, one year old, no winters.

my .02 cents
Old 01-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Banned

IMO the Corsa is overpriced and over-rated. The OBX version looks like nice quality though, but idk as far as sound goes.

What kind of sound are you looking for? Crazy loud? Quiet but throaty? Medium at idle but loud on WOT?

The Hooker Aerochamber catback is one of my favorites sound wise, and at a great price. It's got a nice low rumble at idle but gets loud at WOT. I love the chambered sound. GMMG being the best IMO.

It all depends what your car is like too. If you are stock/bolt ons, the sound is important between systems. But if you get into a head/cam/full engine build a lot of the sound character is lost and there won't be too much of a difference between systems.

You really can't go wrong with the Magnaflow in any case though... good price and great sound. I had one on my stock z28, it sounded great. It has more of a quality tone vs pure volume. I have a Magnaflow on my 383 stroker z28 now, and still think it sounds great. But the cam is so choppy and the car is so loud that like I said, you lose a lot of the sound character.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Banned

There is a great selection of exhausts to choose from in that price range, so don't think you're stuck with a knock off brand because you only have 300-400 to spend.

If you want LOUD, go with the SLP loudmouth. Prepare for a lot of drone though, you are going to hear it at all times.

The hooker aerochamber would be a really good choice, it's got a great sound and can be quiet when cruising and loud on WOT. Slightly droney but not too bad.

Magnaflow is sort of in the same medium-class as hooker, softer on idle and cruise but with a great tone, and loud on WOT. Not too loud, and not as loud as the hooker. Quality sound though, and minimal drone.

I had a Randomtech catback and liked the tone, it was similar to the hooker volume wise but didn't have the chambered sound I like. It was also pretty droney.

Dynomax isn't terribly popular, but makes a great quality system. It flows excellent, and is one of the more quiet setups. It won't be super loud at any point but will sound good. To me I basically classify it as a step up from stock with a good tone and least drone you'll get.

Or if you want something different you can go true duals. A buddy of mine got 2.5" true duals with a custom X pipe done here in Milwaukee for $350 total. He opted for no mufflers but with the x pipe and the full 2x pipes running all the way out back, it sounded great and the drone wasn't too bad. If you got some bullet mufflers or some single chamber flowmasters put in on some true duals it would sound KILLER.

Well, that's my .02 cents, hope I helped in some way. I've had almost all the exhausts available for an F body, my favorites being the GMMG, Hooker Aerochamber, Magnaflow, or some nice TD's. But it alllll depends on what you want and how loud your build is going to be. A lot of people with heavy engine builds use stock exhaust with a cutout to keep the noise down and it's STILL super loud.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Launching!

THanks ballin on a budget. I have had LMI with long tubes before, as stated in my sig. It wasn't too loud for me. I just love the way the OBX looks. I dont want hooker, I'm not gonna spend the cash and time putting anything on my car that's gonna rust in a couple years. it's gotta be stainless. I will do headers in the future, and I hear magnaflow sounds good with long tubes, but is too quiet with stock cats and manifolds. I just asked cause i havent found any youtube vids of the OBX catback..

Anyone tried the PYPES catback for our cars? it's stainless...
Old 01-23-2012, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

I picked this up on an ebay auction new for $285 shipped (It came with an ORY that I haven't used, yet anyway):

The LS1 version is quite expensive though at $885

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-02-Camaro...item2554ec0271
Old 01-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Launching!

^^ That looks awesome!! Why is the LT1 version so cheap? (or vice-versa)? louder and more rasp than LM1 haha.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by homerz28
^^ That looks awesome!! Why is the LT1 version so cheap? (or vice-versa)? louder and more rasp than LM1 haha.
The catback portion of LT1 and LS1 cat backs are the same. Its the Y that is slightly different and I believe that the LT1's need a pipe extention to work with LS1 cat backs.

And honestly why would you buy a cat back because of the way it "looks" I would go for quality and sound. Alot of times cheaper cat backs will have cheap mufflers that will blow out. And for $400, I would be more tempted to pay a little extra for Mangaflow or something of that nature then some off brand.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Banned

Yep I vote Magnaflow based on your setup, it will be pretty loud with LT's and full bolt ons, and leaves you some room for more mods if you're going to get any louder.

It sounds great on my 383 and does well to keep the volume tamed a bit. It's still extremely loud though lol. I've also got an E cutout for the track/racing.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
The catback portion of LT1 and LS1 cat backs are the same. Its the Y that is slightly different and I believe that the LT1's need a pipe extention to work with LS1 cat backs.

And honestly why would you buy a cat back because of the way it "looks" I would go for quality and sound. Alot of times cheaper cat backs will have cheap mufflers that will blow out. And for $400, I would be more tempted to pay a little extra for Mangaflow or something of that nature then some off brand.
true, but I want Stainless steel because I don't want rust (which happens to look good)

and why does a slightly longer y pipe cost so much more?
Old 01-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Banned

It's the way they play the market.. while the Y pipe is only slightly different, everyone wants a direct bolt-up product so they charge more for it.

You might as well just buy the LT1 catback, sell the Y pipe and recoup a good bit of your money, and get the proper LS1 ory. You'll probably only have less than $400 into everything total after it's all said and done, if you sell that Y pipe for only 85 bucks.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Launching!

hell those tips alone would cost a fortune if they were real corsas
Old 01-24-2012, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by homerz28
true, but I want Stainless steel because I don't want rust (which happens to look good)

and why does a slightly longer y pipe cost so much more?
Most of your name brand exhaust systems are stainless. I know magnaflow and the SLP LM are both stainless systems.

And the LS1 Y pipe is a little bit longer then the LT1 Y pipe (So the LS1 catabacks are actually shorter then LT1 catbacks). But the way the muffler assemble hangs and the piping over the axle is the same on any 93-02 F body. But yea if you go to any website that sells exhaust the SLP LM will have the same part number for LS1 and LT1 cars. Only thing it notes is for LT1 cars you need an "installation kit" which is esentially a pipe extention.

As to why its more expensive its all marketing and overall demand, parts for newer cars generally cost more. Does a catback for a Corvette really cost more to make then a catback for a F body? No, and if it does its not double, but companies know that people will pay it.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Corsa Clone Catback anyone?