New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP???! Question about wheel Locks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question HELP???! Question about wheel Locks!

I recently purchased a 98 SS camaro. However the guy who I got the car from didnt give me the wheel lock, and I'm currently wanting to put a new rear end in the car. I've tried to contact him but his phone number is out of service. I'm guessing it changed or something like that. Does anyone know how to break a wheel lock and get it off? I really dont know and I dont want to mess around with it without any direction for fear of breaking the axle studs.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Rob
Old 03-20-2004, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

I am not sure how to go about breaking them off, but if the original owners manual portfolio is in the glove box look for a card identifying the wheel lock number and the company that makes the locks can send you a new key.

Hope you can locate that ID card.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:16 PM
Teching In

You can weld a nut to the lock.

A new set of locks is less than 30.00 from a dealer.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went to our local tire shop. They took the locks off for $5 each.. I didn't think that that wasn't too bad.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the locks off and leave em off. If someone wants your wheels they'll get em locks or no locks. The only person locks make removing your wheels difficult for is you. My .02
Old 03-20-2004, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

My Dad is a Professional Locksmith and his favorite saying is:

Locks are only for keeping honest people "Honest"
Old 03-20-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

I had this problem with the wife's old GTA. Bought it used and didn't realize until too late that there was no key for the locking lugs. I ended up taking it to a local shop and they welded on a socket and got it off. I've also heard of people finding a 12-point socket that is just a tad smaller than the locker and hammering it onto the nut. The you can attach a ratchet and just twist it off like normal.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:44 PM
wrencher

There are locking lug nut removal kits, or like said B-4 ask around & see what a tire store will do for ya...........
Old 03-21-2004, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

I lost mine the other day. I was changing the brake pads and I don't know what happened to it. Iwas about to head out on a road trip and didn't want to get a flat and not be able to change it. I stopped at the local Dealer and the parts room was closed so I asked him to get the keys for the 2000 T/a that was out on the lot and he let me borrow the key from that one and I took off the locks and ran like that until I got back. I have to go back and buy one now. I called and they have them for like 10 bucks.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah tire shops will break em off for ya for real cheap, just do that
Old 03-21-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Most GM dealerships will have a lugnut master key set with multiple keys. You can drive to your dealer and ask to borrow the kit. As long as you have the car there they probably won't charge you anything, but they will probably ask for some proof of ownership...registration and drivers license. I had this problem last year...after having f-bodies with these factory locking lugnuts for almost 10 years I finally did it. I got off work on a Friday at 7:00pm and raced home to get the SS cleaned up for the local hotspot. The local cruise-in hotspot(Annibeles Diner)doesn't get busy until about 9pm or so; so I figured I had plenty of time. I got home and changed clothes. Then I washed the car, dried it off, and threw on a quick coat of Meguires #26 liquid. I then decided to bolt on my chrome Zr1 rims. I got halfway done and it was getting dark and almost 9pm; so I started to rush. I got the last wheel bolted on and put my tools away and the floorjack. I gathered my stock rims and put them in the garage and I was on my way...well dumbass me left the lug key on the windshield cowl and somewhere it rolled off. I of course didn't realize it was gone until about a week later when I got a flat tire(just my luck)! My fiance had gone to work and the SS was the only car I had at the house at that time. I jacked up the car, dragged out the air compressor, and tools. I then cleaned my stock silver SS rims, and dried them(front and backside). I used my compressor to dry the rims all the way so I could through a couple coats of wax on both sides(I do this at least once a month; to keep them in decent shape). I was ready to go...and then I had no key! After spending over one hour tearing my garage apart and my car, I gave up looking for it. So I grabbed an 8pt socket(don't remember what size, sorry)that was just a bit smaller then my locking-lug and hammered it on. Once it was on a bit I used my compressor and they came lose, one after another no problem. Then next morning I replaced all the locks on all three of my LS1s with standard lugnuts!