New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any quick ideas to loss of power!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any quick ideas to loss of power!!

Hey folks, drove my car to work the other night, drove fine. When i left work i could tell something was amuck, the gas peddle didnt feel like it was doing all that it should. Acceleration is terrible. Constant popping and crackling between shifts and when letting the foot off the gas from the exhaust. No codes. I dont know. Any ideas. Oh 2001 SS Camaro 6speed. Thanks
Old 03-03-2012, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

How long has it been since u changed your plugs?
Old 03-03-2012, 03:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be alot of things...does it happen at warm ups only? could be also you fuel pump or filter..
Old 03-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Teching In

I changed the plugs recently to ngktr55's and i havent been pleased with how the car has responded to it changing from the denzo iridiums that were in it. But this got really worse real quick. And the lack of power is the whole time im driving it. Maybe its these plugs my car does not like. But there is definately something missing behind my gas pedal, you can just feel it in the pedal and response with constant popping and cracking when letting up between shifts and slowing down.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I'm surprised that you're not getting an SES light. My first guess would be some sort of misfire, but then I would expect to see a P0300 code. If the popping is coming from the exhaust but there is no misfire, then it's possibile that the mixture is excessively rich and excess fuel is igniting in the exhaust system. An overall excessively rich condition (if this is the case) could certainly cause a power loss. A misfire would also dump raw fuel into the exhaust, but you should be seeing an SES light if that was the case.

TR55 plugs in general are certainly not a problem, as many of us use them without any issues at all. However, you may have a cracked plug and/or a damaged/poorly seated wire that may have happened after you changed the plugs. If this condition started right after a tune up, then my first step would be to go back over anything that you touched during said tune up (starting with an inspection of the wires, and then the plugs).
Old 03-04-2012, 02:36 AM
Launching!

Check your MAF! I had a the "terrible acceleration" problem and a simple MAF cleaner with Qtips(be gentle) solved it. But that's just one possibility.

Good Luck
Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Launching!

check for DTC's check fuel pressure and fuel trims.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:21 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by D3VIL
Check your MAF! I had a the "terrible acceleration" problem and a simple MAF cleaner with Qtips(be gentle) solved it. But that's just one possibility.

Good Luck
Good advice. A dirty MAF will cause all kinds of problems. If the issue didn't start immediately after the plug change, then the MAF would be the next thing I'd probably look at.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Teching In

The light has not come on so would there be any codes. I am going to go outside and check the maf soon after i watch the miami/lakers game.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Well i cleaned the maf, i drove it locally today for a few and i believe its driving alot better. We will see more tonight when i drive it to work 30 min away. Thanks boys

Quick Reply: Any quick ideas to loss of power!!