Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 newbie ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 5.3 newbie ?

Hey guys, very very new to the LS series, ordered this book to get me started! -

"How to Build and Modify GM LS-Series Engines (Motorbooks Workshop)
Joseph Potak (Author);

I have a very easy question, just don't want to waste $$ or someone's time. Will a stock LS1 intake bolt up to my 5.3 without problems? My 5.3 came from an 03 Tahoe, stock heads, DBW throttle body (I'm changing to a DBC TB). The heads are "cathedral heads", and the intake I'm looking at seem to be square, with hole at the top of each port.

Will this work? and is it worth it to make the change from the truck intake to the LS, power wise? What do I need to look for to make this work??
Old 03-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Maybe I should just wait for the book? lol
Old 03-19-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The ls1 intake will bolt up to your 5.3L, do you have the 799 casted heads on that motor ? What are you putting this engine in ? The truck intake will flow better than the ls1 intake. Also if you swap to the ls1 intake you'll have to swap the fuel rail as well.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by conan
The ls1 intake will bolt up to your 5.3L, do you have the 799 casted heads on that motor ? What are you putting this engine in ? The truck intake will flow better than the ls1 intake. Also if you swap to the ls1 intake you'll have to swap the fuel rail as well.

My heads have the 862 casting. It's going in a 77 Chevy C10 short bed. I'm not looking to make huge power, I'd like to get close to 400hp without major mods. Would the LS6 intake be a better option... I'm open to suggestions/opinions.

And I just found out the book I ordered is on back order, can't find this thing anywhere for a decent price. not paying $200 for the thing lol... I'll keep looking!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by conan
The truck intake will flow better than the ls1 intake.
huh? really?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Teching In

So.... not true?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by homerz28
huh? really?
Originally Posted by JNJchev77
So.... not true?
From what I have read and seen with my own 5.3L intake manifold, It flows better. It is twice the size as the "car" intakes. The reason you don't see it on the cars is because you couldn't shut the hood.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

there are lots of other books out there plus you have all the guys and gals here and on other sites all over the web if you putting the motor in a truck consider keeping the truck intake it makes much better torque or if you want a bump in torque cosider going with a carb plus it looks cool with a classic air cleaner and if you want to have some extra kick drop on a plate no2 system with a 150 shot there is your 400 plus without changing the drivability of the truck for work or daily use. go with a lq4 no replacement for displacement...good luck oh yeah you can do a rear mounted turbo system from squires turbo system you have to do some welding but big power gain better mileage ect ect...with out doing anything to the motor.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Boogie I appreciate the help! I am doing as much research as I can lol. Just ordered a second book, hopefully get some reading done this weekend. This truck will not be towing anything. Not a typical 77 c10. I like em low and fast. Full air system with PB front and rear (4 link). Low end torque isn't my biggest concern.

I may just keep the truck intake for now, change cam, and possibly a couple more add-ons to go with it. Trying to figure out which cam is gonna work best for my 5.3.

Eventually going to be turbo'd or SC.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

LS-6 Cam & Springs & Intake will wake that 5.3 up and will work great w/ a Turbo also !!! Look @ the E-Bay Turbo kits they r the best bang for the buck !
Old 03-21-2012, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

torque is what you can feel and measure by the seat of your pants hp is is often over rated if its a street truck with some real nasty intent than check out the guys at tsp they have the cam game well in hand. horsepower and torque go together either in the gains or the losses make sure if you cam it you do the whole thing springs locks rockers pushrods lifters and while its all apart call the guys at arp and get some studs to replace the head bolts for added security. because of your desire to add boost. but i will suggest that you find a 6.0 then the world of power can really open up the better head options become available. the 4.0 bore is the best platform. you can then get a 4.125 stroker crank and have a 427 ci small block sleeper.. check out tsp they have everything you need there. texas speed and performance.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

I agree on the ls6 cam for the 5.3L, and many like it for boost as well.
Here's some more 5.3L insperation for ya...
http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...=8&carid=29353

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...=9&carid=29353
Old 03-21-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for a good torque cam check out comp 54-455-11.or look at a TSP or thunder racing cam pkg.maybe look at their 224 cam kits.the ls truck intake keeps up to the ls6 intake until 5500 rpms.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Thanks fellas! I appreciate all the help, trying to keep up lol.

I'm all in for plenty of torque, I'm just trying to do things once, if I can. But I see if I ever want to drive this thing, certain things may have to wait until I've got this thing running

Conan... that's definitely some good inspiration, I'm going with fire red (KBS Coatings Motor Coater).

Found this remain kit for my 5.3. This look like a good start? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2003-Ch...ht_3799wt_1185

Also ordered my GMPP Oil pan, should be enough clearance for my crossmember, and the ground. I don't plan on draggin the frame, to much time cleaning and painting the thing!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:55 AM
Teching In

Doesn't look like it was mentioned, but if you swaped to an ls based intake, you'd have to change out your wp as well.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JNJchev77
Thanks fellas! I appreciate all the help, trying to keep up lol.

I'm all in for plenty of torque, I'm just trying to do things once, if I can. But I see if I ever want to drive this thing, certain things may have to wait until I've got this thing running

Conan... that's definitely some good inspiration, I'm going with fire red (KBS Coatings Motor Coater).

Found this remain kit for my 5.3. This look like a good start? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2003-Ch...ht_3799wt_1185

Also ordered my GMPP Oil pan, should be enough clearance for my crossmember, and the ground. I don't plan on draggin the frame, to much time cleaning and painting the thing!!!
Do you have a machine shop lined up for this engine yet ? I would wait to order any bearings or rings untill the machine shop verifies that the cylinders don't need to be boared or any thing like that. Also your machine shop might be able to get you a better deal on rings and bearing... My shop gives me great prices on parts. Also I would recomend a ls2 timing chain (It will fit your cam/crank gears) Ls7 lifters and and new oil pump.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Teching In

I've got the block torn down, and this thing was well maintained. Looking at it, I don't see a need to take it to the machine shop. I'm gonna hold off on the intake swap and just do a nice cam kit, springs lifters, may even change to full roller rockers. Gonna keep it mild for now, this being my first rebuild of an LS.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Well I scored a brand new LS6 cam from a buddy... best part is it was free . So my question now is.... is this spring kit the correct one I will need to put this in the 5.3?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Z06-LS...#ht_1126wt_825

Also, any idea what length push rods I will need? Or is that something I will need to measure?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you look at your heads intake ports....you will notice that they are "cathedral" shaped like a church window....that is the shape of the ls1/ls6 intake as well....so it will fit. I would recommend going with a ls6 over the ls1. There is a reason they swapped over to them.