New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can i find out if my ss is real?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can i find out if my ss is real?

Hi I just wanted to make sure my ss is real, I went into the office today and said said I heard you drive a camaro ? I said yea.. He said so its stick? Me: no auto..him: it's fake!!! They only made SS camaros in stick .. Me: lol ok ? And before I could say anything else he talked over me and left the room lol .. So I wanted to make sure my car was real to shut this cool guy up for trying to make a fool of me where can I find this info at ?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Umm okk what a tard, from what I remember most of the actual 35th anniversary camaros with the factory stripes were automatics with t-tops. Look on the drivers door sticker that has all the 3 character codes and look for WU8 which stands for camaro ss option. heres my RPO options list with explainations of each. You can ever email slp and get your build number if you give them your vin number and other info is located on this site http://slpowners.com/car/6636.html
Old 06-21-2012, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One: They definitely made the SS in an Auto.
Two: Look for this RPO Code on the door tag.
"WU8 = SALES PACKAGE CAMARO SS APPEARANCE AND PERFORMANCE CAMARO SS APPEARANCE & PERFORMANCE PKG(WU8)"

Or PM your VIN and I can search the RPO list for it.

*jaxcam02 beat me to it while I was typing, lol
Old 06-21-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

lol don't you just have when that happens
Old 06-21-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
Umm okk what a tard, from what I remember most of the actual 35th anniversary camaros with the factory stripes were automatics with t-tops. Look on the drivers door sticker that has all the 3 character codes and look for WU8 which stands for camaro ss option. heres my RPO options list with explainations of each. You can ever email slp and get your build number if you give them your vin number and other info is located on this site http://slpowners.com/car/6636.html
You beat me to is

Mine is real, and an auto #2742
Old 06-21-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys and yes a huge tard!! He is one of those guys who has to one up you, so if you make 350hp then he makes 400hp if you have a 11sec car he has a 10sec car! Lol so when he started yelling over me and not letting me talk I gave up .. Haha I have my car here in Germany , him idk state side ? No one has even seen a pic .. Dude is a tool .. Absolute tool !!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ Back in high school(long time ago) I had this kid running his mouth saying my SS was FAKE! cause it was AUTO with CLOTH seats... Didn't bother me they thought it was Fake... I knew it was Real... And to Top it off I had Fastest car in school... They had to talk smack some how lol
Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

You can look for the WU8 RPO on the SPID sticker on the driver's door jamb, as mentioned above. You can also contact a GM dealer and have them run a VIS report that will show all the options for your VIN (including the WU8, if it was assigned to your VIN). Additionally, you can contact SLP with your VIN for further verification.

For the record, you could 100% MOST CERTAINLY get an auto with an SS. The option codes for an original A4 SS car would be WU8, MX0, M30. Cloth interior and a hard top were also available with SS; neither of these options were standard on SS, unlike Trans Am.

And lastly, tell your co-worker to stop insisting on things that he clearly knows nothing about. If he wants to challenge this FACT which he has disputed, tell him to find this thread and provide whatever "proof" he thinks he can find. I welcome the challenge.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 06-22-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:55 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by 2win_SS
^^^ Back in high school(long time ago) I had this kid running his mouth saying my SS was FAKE! cause it was AUTO with CLOTH seats... Didn't bother me they thought it was Fake... I knew it was Real...
I don't know why this is such a big deal to some people, like it's somehow a serious problem that your car might be a fake (even if it isn't). Only time it really matters is when it comes to resale value....so unless they are buying your car, why do they care? It's not like it's 1969, where the SS package is actually a performance package that includes significant engine and drivetrain upgrades. In base configuration (meaning no additional Y2Y SLP options) it's a hood/wheels/spoiler/front sway bar/revised muffler & tailpipes/badges/standard PS cooler. It's no faster than a similarly optioned Z28. As a matter of fact, the fastest stock LS1 on record was a '99 Z28.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't know why this is such a big deal to some people, like it's somehow a serious problem that your car might be a fake (even if it isn't). Only time it really matters is when it comes to resale value....so unless they are buying your car, why do they care? It's not like it's 1969, where the SS package is actually a performance package that includes significant engine and drivetrain upgrades. In base configuration (meaning no additional Y2Y SLP options) it's a hood/wheels/spoiler/front sway bar/revised muffler & tailpipes/badges/standard PS cooler. It's no faster than a similarly optioned Z28. As a matter of fact, the fastest stock LS1 on record was a '99 Z28.
like I said I didn't mind they thought it was Fake... I was just sharing a similar story. The thing that bugged me(not that much tho) like you said ppl shouldn't talk about things they dnt really know about...
Old 06-22-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

I just checked and yeah it has that code
Old 06-22-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You can look for the WU8 RPO on the SPID sticker on the driver's door jamb, as mentioned above. You can also contact a GM dealer and have them run a VIS report that will show all the options for your VIN (including the WU8, if it was assigned to your VIN). Additionally, you can contact SLP with your VIN for further verification.

For the record, you could 100% MOST CERTAINLY get an auto with an SS. The option codes for an original A4 SS car would be WU8, MX0, M30. Cloth interior and a hard top were also available with SS; neither of these options were standard on SS, unlike Trans Am.

And lastly, tell your co-worker to stop insisting on things that he clearly knows nothing about. If he wants to challenge this FACT which he has disputed, tell him to find this thread and provide whatever "proof" he thinks he can find. I welcome the challenge.
I will tell him but I know for a fact he will make something up to make him self sound right .. But I will send him the link to rub it in .. Haha
Old 06-22-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well Congrats! You are now the Proud owner off a True SS... Throw that in the guys face lol
Old 06-22-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Tell him that yours is the only one with an auto. 1 of 1 built. And it is also the only one with a special Corvette spec engine.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

I would have just thrown something at the back of his head.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations on not being able to read thru the stickies...you have a real SS.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Someone said my Corvette was fake. Dafuq? Cop pulls me over says it's a stolen motorcycle. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Last edited by vetteboy99; 06-23-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vetteboy99
Someone said my Corvette was fake. Dafuq? Cop pulls me over says it's a stolen motorcycle. I don't want to live on his planet anymore.
^^^ this is a joke right?
Old 06-23-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2win_SS
^^^ this is a joke right?
Nope. Lol. I hope the cop and the other Guy were joking though.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vetteboy99
Someone said my Corvette was fake. Dafuq? Cop pulls me over says it's a stolen motorcycle. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
^^^ maybe guy thought the Z06 part was fake... I see ppl do swaps to make em look like a Z06... But as far as the cop situation goes... I would have told him YES... I stole this bike and tried to disguise it with 4wheels and a body...

Quick Reply: How can i find out if my ss is real?