Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new LS-1 owner...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new LS-1 owner...

Hello fellow LS Engine owners! Just wanted to make my first post to this forum. 3 weeks ago I stopped my restoration on a 1988 Ford Mustang GT, and decided to spend my money more wisely by purchasing a 2002 Camaro SS 35th Anniversary Edition. Named her "Lucille"....needed a good name for a hot red car with t-tops...Lucille seemed to roll off the tounge easy.

Anyways, just cruisin through the forums and I am pleased to know that there are soo many folks on here who know whats up with the LS series engines. I will be looking into my first low-grade performace mod here shortly, and am leaning towards an SLP lid. Car has the SLP center mount exhaust from the factory, as well as the SLP 10 spoke chrome rims..Love the way it sounds...

In regards to the exhaust, is it worth ditching the SLP muffler and installing a Flowmaster? I love the way a flowmaster sounds, but if both mufflers flow the same amount of air out, then there's no point in changing it if the SLP does the same job a flowmaster would. Does anyone have any input to this?

Thanks!

D.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Welcome to the LS world!

The lid is a good starting mod for sure, and you can't go wrong with the SLP piece. As far as exhaust goes, the muffler that you have on there will actually flow BETTER than a Flowmaster. I would leave that alone for now, and concentrate on getting some Longtube Headers and an Offroad Y-Pipe; you will gain the most power this way, and the car will sound a LOT better. If you aren't ready to go to that extreme yet, and just want a better sound, try a GMMG Chambered Muffler, you will not be disappointed.

Cheers!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

you will get alot of input on the Flowmaster swap rest assured, and it wont be good input...for the flowmaster anyways...alot of people on here love the SLP exhaust and ive noticed alot of people like Kooks headers etc... Congrats on the purchase, im also about 4 weeks into owning my "new" 35th anniversary Z28...purchased mine with all the bolt ons done, 67k miles on it and im in love so far. I have OBX headers, and OBX Y-Pipe with Hi-Flo "cats" and and an SLP Loud Mouth 1 cat-back...I promise you that youll be so much happier with a full exhaust set up(sound and perf) then just the cat back flowmaster but they sure as hell arent cheap! glad mine came with it thats for sure!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would def leave the SLP Muffler in place over the Flowmaster. The SLP lid will also be a nice choice alone with a nice set of Long Tube Headers.

Welcome to the Forum & The LSX World!!!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:12 AM
Teching In

Gotta agree with these guys, SLP is IMO the best sounding exhaust on the market. If you want to change the sound for the better and prepare for HP mods, TSP headers and off-road y pipe(ORY) are about the best choice for the price I think. I bought 'em a few months back and I know they are by far my favorite. Happy modding to the new ls1 and welcome to the family!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not change out that exhaust you have on there now. I am a trans am person by heart, but if I owned a camaro it would def have the CME done. I love it. So i must say keep it. Go with that SLP lid for now... and look for headers and a y-pipe down the road. I suggest a catted y pipe. This will be pretty much what everyone will tell you to start with. Later on if your car is an auto... a stall will be an amazing upgrade.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys! I reallt appreciate the warm welcome and your advice on the exhaust question. I do love the way the SLP exhaust sounds. The CME gives the car a unique look. Will hold on to the stock exhaust for now. An SLP performance Lid will be in the mail shortly.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Welcome, and congrats on the purchase!

The newbie tech section is great for learning more about popular mods for LSX cars.

And just as an extra emphasis, don't get a Flowmaster
Old 06-28-2012, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1999CamaroSS
Welcome to the LS world!

The lid is a good starting mod for sure, and you can't go wrong with the SLP piece. As far as exhaust goes, the muffler that you have on there will actually flow BETTER than a Flowmaster. I would leave that alone for now, and concentrate on getting some Longtube Headers and an Offroad Y-Pipe; you will gain the most power this way, and the car will sound a LOT better. If you aren't ready to go to that extreme yet, and just want a better sound, try a GMMG Chambered Muffler, you will not be disappointed.

Cheers!
^^^ I whole-heartedly agree with what this dude said. Your car's exhaust was actually done right from the factory, in my opinion; if it were mine, I wouldn't mess with perfection.

Welcome to the LS1Tech.com family, man! Post up some images of your new car for us to admire at your earliest convenience!

Again, welcome!
Old 06-28-2012, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

congrats on the car!

as said above, leave the muffler. Headers and lid are much better choices
Old 06-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. This forum is great for information and input from those with experience. I am a new Camaro owner myself (2000 SS purchased 3/31/12) and mine came with the SLP exhaust. Like you, I asked around and got the same responses you are getting here. I agree with those that suggest keeping the SLP exhaust and getting the SLP air lid. That is exactly what I did. Also agree with those suggesting headers and a catted Y-pipe. That is next on my list of mods and I am going with Kooks for the headers and Y-pipe. After that, who knows.

Good luck and post up pics of your new ride when available.

Cheers!