Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road trip with misc info

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Road trip with misc info

Went on a road trip with my son. Here are some pics....sorry if they are too large, and some basic info on the car's performance. The car is a stock 2000 Camaro B4C with 4 speed automatic driving on BF Goodrich 255/50/16 all season tires. Has 114,000 miles on it. For those of you unfamiliar with a B4C, it's basically a Z28. I think some have been modified by the police agency and others are bone stock. Mine is bone stock and in fact I think I have both the Federal and California emmisions on mine because when I look at my engine versus others...there are a couple more hoses around the intake area...so mine is probably a little slower then a standard Z28. Also, for what it's worth, my plugs are pretty old and crappy looking....just haven't had the time to change them. Combine that with all season tires and a lot of weight in the car and that's why my numbers are a little slower then what other people have been posting on their stock Z28's. Anyway, started out in Kansas City (900' above sea level) then to Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, up the coastal highway to San Francisco, back home through Reno, Salt Lake City, across Wyoming to Lincoln Nebraska, and then back down to Kansas City. Total miles was 4219. Averaged about 80mph with several burnouts, playing around, etc, etc. Had A/C on, inverter on, CB on, my son and I, plus about 100lbs of luggage and misc stuff. Fuel used 173.7 gallons, overall average fuel mileage was 24.29 mpg. Did two 1/4 runs using post as markers and cell phone as stop watch. San Francisco (elevation 70' temp 74F) with hard launch 13.71 at 102mph. Western Nebraska (elevation 3900' temp 82f) very soft launch...kid was asleep 14.25 at 98mph. Overall car did good, no break downs. Performance definitely dropped off going across the Rockies in the higher elevation. Temperature in Vegas was 109f day one and 112f day two....we sat in bumper to bumper traffic on the strip with A/C going and car never got over 210f on the gauge....of coarse fan was going non-stop. That's about all the specs I can think of for any new folks wanting to know about a stock cars performance, reliability, fuel mileage, etc, etc. First pic is my son leaving Denver Hotel, Second pic is me in Utah, the other pics are a drive up US1 in California, a stop at Laguna Seca Speedway, and one near the Golden Gate Bridge. I really liked the CHiP's recruiting add they had up at the Speedway...I thought it was fitting that we had our B4C Camaro right next to this poster of another B4C Camaro. If you have any questions or comments about the numbers I gave out....feel free to ask. Thanks, Adam.

[IMG]http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/lego1970/2013triputahadam.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by ajwoodtransport; 06-28-2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: more info on car
Old 06-28-2013, 01:26 PM

There's nothing like a little road trip for some bonding time with the son. 4,200+ miles was quite a trek I'm sure. Those are good times, and thankfully you've got pictures to keep.

That CHP Careers sign is funny. There used to be a time where police were known to be crime fighters (many still are-I know). Why some departments continue pushing the whole ticket thing is beyond me. Better to be known and advertised as crime fighters instead of mobile revenue generating machines.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Love the photo with the Golden Gate bridge. Road trips can't be topped, especially in American muscle.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wengines
There's nothing like a little road trip for some bonding time with the son. 4,200+ miles was quite a trek I'm sure. Those are good times, and thankfully you've got pictures to keep.

That CHP Careers sign is funny. There used to be a time where police were known to be crime fighters (many still are-I know). Why some departments continue pushing the whole ticket thing is beyond me. Better to be known and advertised as crime fighters instead of mobile revenue generating machines.
We take a vacation every year and this was our most epic one yet. It was a good time and there were a lot of highlights, but in particular I really loved Laguna Seca......we have all the Gran Turismo games and Laguna Seca is my son's favorite track so it was a real treat to go there. I didn't have tickets or nothing but they let us walk around the entire park....it was pretty cool.

I just now noticed the "ticket" part written in there....I'm guessing someone wrote that in......LOL.
I agree with you. As a truck driver of over 15 years I still cringe every time I drive by a fatality and I realize that there is something like 25,000 fatalities per year, therefore something has to be done to limit those numbers. However, I question some of the methodology used by law enforcement to curve those numbers. I think some of their methods are both ineffective and at the same time stains the reputation of law enforcement officers and the laws in which they enforce.

Thanks for the response...take care.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Love the photo with the Golden Gate bridge. Road trips can't be topped, especially in American muscle.
Thanks....it was cool. I'm a truck driver and have been to the Bay area several times, but this was a first going over the Golden Gate Bridge....it's impressive.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:59 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Yeah, love your GGB pic from the Marin headlands looking toward The City. I grew up there in Marin County.

I do enjoy the road trips and drive back and forth from KS (where my career has taken me) to the San Diego area (which has become my home base in CA) once a year or so.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Yeah, love your GGB pic from the Marin headlands looking toward The City. I grew up there in Marin County.

I do enjoy the road trips and drive back and forth from KS (where my career has taken me) to the San Diego area (which has become my home base in CA) once a year or so.
Cool, that area north of the bridge was really nice....I bet it was awesome growing up there. I wish we would of had more time to explore that area and also continue north along the coast.

Good ole Wichita huh? Are you a Pilot or do you work in the aviation industry? Most people don't pick Wichita as a favorite place to live, although it's not that bad to me and I've always like the drive across the flint hills. I go down to Wichita several times a month. In fact I used to pick up from Love's Box Company and take packing boxes to Sea World in San Diego about 4 times a year. I'd normally get to Sea World around 3-5am and the dock door was right next to one of the Dolphin tanks. Flipper love Cheetos. He kept begging and it's all I had....he loved it.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Pontiacerator

Lol Flipper!

I'm in a different line of work, but I was offered a premium position there, and although I never thought I'd leave CA, it turned out to be good move in a lot of ways - good folks and I've made some great friendships that will be lifelong. We have a place in SD and I get back there and up to the Bay Area as often as I can.

I do love the Flint Hills; they remind me of the rolling grassy hills in certain parts of CA. They're incredibly green right now. I was blessed to be able to do some cowboyin' out there on occasion for a few years through a friend ... it was the real deal and something I'll never forget.

Love Box - yep, I know a guy who was their CFO for years.

Lastly, in what is the most "personal" post I've ever made here on tech, it WAS great growing up there in Marin County. Something that cannot be recaptured in today's world.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Lol Flipper!

I'm in a different line of work, but I was offered a premium position there, and although I never thought I'd leave CA, it turned out to be good move in a lot of ways - good folks and I've made some great friendships that will be lifelong. We have a place in SD and I get back there and up to the Bay Area as often as I can.

I do love the Flint Hills; they remind me of the rolling grassy hills in certain parts of CA. They're incredibly green right now. I was blessed to be able to do some cowboyin' out there on occasion for a few years through a friend ... it was the real deal and something I'll never forget.

Love Box - yep, I know a guy who was their CFO for years.

Lastly, in what is the most "personal" post I've ever made here on tech, it WAS great growing up there in Marin County. Something that cannot be recaptured in today's world.
South Dakota too? Very cool, I love South Dakota....deliver to a lot of the tribal nations up there. Sounds like you have an interesting life/background....thanks for sharing, take care.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for sharing your road trip, that's great to spend time with your son. There is one solution to the crime problem right there . Kids that have parents who care. Tickets are meant to reduce accidents, but know it's all about revenue making ! I'm ret cop25 years on the road, seat belt tickets at one time was $20 now $ 100 or more. You can't take the human element out of accidents, you can try to regulate everything but it won't stop accidents. Same as OWI. everyone who gets behind the wheel intox, thinks he or she will not get caught .
Old 07-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by ajwoodtransport
South Dakota too? Very cool, I love South Dakota....deliver to a lot of the tribal nations up there. Sounds like you have an interesting life/background....thanks for sharing, take care.
SD = San Diego, lol
Old 07-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sgtrgpfdps
Thanks for sharing your road trip, that's great to spend time with your son. There is one solution to the crime problem right there . Kids that have parents who care. Tickets are meant to reduce accidents, but know it's all about revenue making ! I'm ret cop25 years on the road, seat belt tickets at one time was $20 now $ 100 or more. You can't take the human element out of accidents, you can try to regulate everything but it won't stop accidents. Same as OWI. everyone who gets behind the wheel intox, thinks he or she will not get caught .
Yeah, it's a lot of fun. We take one or two vacations a year and they are great memories...plus like you said it gives you time to really talk with your kids about all sorts of life's issues.

When you throw in all the financial and social issues regarding both the laws and how to enforce them.......deciding which laws need to be written and how they should be enforced becomes pretty complex. Some of it agree with, some of it I don't. Anyway, thanks for the response and your 25 year of service.

Quick Reply: Road trip with misc info