Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody ever heard of this

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody ever heard of this

I stopped by the exhaust shop to confirm my appointment and the guys asked hey do you want to try something different with my setup. He wants to put a Magnaflow canister/ mufflers behind each header then into a x Pipe then over the axle and out the back duels. He said he always wanted to hear what this sounds like and he is cutting me a deal. I am getting header install complete exhaust system for 600$ out the door. so my question is

Has anybody heard of this set up if so, how did it sound and will I get the same performance of the traditional duel setup. looking for peoples opinions.

Sorry for all the questions but I get to drop it off next week and am a little leary of this suggestion just because I have not seen or heard of people setting there exhaust up like this. I imagine it will be awesome and have a great sound and you cant beat the price for everything. He did say it will all tuck up nicely. anyways shoot me some opinions and thoughts.

Next after this mod I plan on doing a LS6 swap then a cam Getting excited
Old 08-02-2013, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The mufflers need to be after the x pipe. The point of a cross over is to improve scavenging in the headers and combustion chambers. Putting the mufflers before the x will kill flow where you need it the most.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

And my guess on sound is it will be raspy as hell. The converging gasses in the x is what creates rasp. The mufflers after the x is what controls that.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

I'm all for experimentations....it's fun and that's how we learn, but there should be some kind of theory or reasoning behind it. Did he give his thoughts as to why he thinks it would be better? If he can't give a decent explanation, then I personally wouldn't want to be the $600 dollar guinea pig. (no offense to guinea pigs...you're contributions to the world of science is duly noted)
Old 08-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Teching In

He's not doing it for 600 to experiment. he will do what I want I was more leaning towards some bullits after the x. He I think just has not done it before so he wanted to try it I guess me being a lab rat. wouldn't it be just like having cats after the headers as far as flow is concerned What would glass packs sound like after the x pipe those should fit still before the axle.

Thanks for all the feed back
Old 08-03-2013, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rmarti5
He's not doing it for 600 to experiment. he will do what I want I was more leaning towards some bullits after the x. He I think just has not done it before so he wanted to try it I guess me being a lab rat. wouldn't it be just like having cats after the headers as far as flow is concerned What would glass packs sound like after the x pipe those should fit still before the axle.

Thanks for all the feed back
Ok, I hear ya....it's cool. Again I love experimenting with projects. I just got the impression that it was more his idea then yours and that came across kinda shady....so I wanted to make sure you knew his theory behind it before handing him a wad of cash.

The Guinea Pig comment was just joking around. I just had a visual of some Guinea Pig reading this and saying "hey wtf man...I lost my whole family for science...show some respect".....so I was trying to show my respect to the Guinea Pig.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Teching In

No problem I didn't take any offense to any comments. your right it was his idea I am just being cautious because I do want to get the best bang for my buck. right now I am going to lean towards trying to put bullets behind the X Pipe that just seams the way to go. thanks for the feed back.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Well he still wanted to do it, He said that if I wasn't happy he will redo it no problem but if I like it I have to bring it by his shop every once an a while to show customers. I guess I am being lab rat, experimentation can work out for the good
Old 08-10-2013, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

I don't see it wrking to well. Theres a reason ppl ain't puttin mufflers befor the x pipe its probly guuna run worse then the smashed factory y pipe lol what's he think its gunna gain ?
Old 08-10-2013, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

I don't see it wrking to well. Theres a reason ppl ain't puttin mufflers befor the x pipe its probly guuna run worse then the smashed factory y pipe lol what's he think its gunna gain ?
Old 08-12-2013, 06:08 AM
On The Tree

Oooooor just tell him to do it the way it's supposed to be and you're not interested. Let him play on his own car.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

True that if that guy even thinks that's a good idea he doesn't deserve to own a wrench. Get ur parts and RUN. I'm not tryn to be rude just lookin out for a fellow LS member. Good luck bud keep us updated.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldnt let him try something new. Seems to me like it wouldnt be a good idea. Lol

You should let him do it, and not charge you in case you hate the setup and want it done the right way. FREE OF CHARGE Doubt he will do that soo just get it done right!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

If you are seriously considering it, get his offer to change it in writing...just sayin
Old 08-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

I think it would sound very tinny/raspy with the mufflers being so far forward
Old 08-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Teching In

yes not a good idea or else it would e done that way all the time and by factory
Old 08-18-2013, 12:14 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

As others have said, this will inhibit scavenging, which is the whole point of LT's in the first place. Plus there's going to be a fitment problem on the driver's side. Do it right the first time.

And no, I have never heard of this.

Quick Reply: Has anybody ever heard of this