Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy, thoughts?

Hey everyone,
Looking into getting into a 99' WS6 I found and wondering what your thoughts would be on this since I'm not that familiar with these.
1999 WS6 - 175k claims highway miles
5k miles on rebuilt AT
Leather
Monsoon sound
I don't think there are any mods.
Wish it was a 6sp but AT is fine with me, would be the first AT car I've ever owned.
Talked with the guy, sounded older. He said that he has had it for a year and when he bought it it was running rough. He said he switched an 02 sensor I believe and he said that it fixed its running rough issue and said now it runs great. Not sure how many people have owned it before him. Asking for around $6k.. I live in MN so this would specifically be a summer only car. And I forgot to ask if there was any rust....
But anyways how does this price sound? Anything to watch for/avoid or ask specifically?

And I have done research and found out that the miles on the motor isn't an issue and some other things, but just wondering about this specific car.
Thanks,
Bryan
Attached Thumbnails Looking to buy, thoughts?-1.jpg   Looking to buy, thoughts?-2.jpg   Looking to buy, thoughts?-3.jpg  

Last edited by Bryan621; 09-24-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

Looks good, 6k is fair, hell my 98 z28 costed 6k with 84k on it. But Id rather have a ws6..
There probably isnt any rust, Im in MI and people are just pretty good about taking care of these cars in the winter by storing them.
As long as it runs good and pulls hard, which it probably will, go for it.
If it says anything else, my 98 z pulled on a 09 Mustang GT/CS that some kid was really "proud" of. Needless to say my whole work laughed at how much he up-talked his car when a 15 year old car smoked it lol.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Where is the car located? 175k is 12k+ miles/year, so it sounds like it was someone's daily driver. If it's from a northern state, then I'm sure there will be some amount of rust on the undercarrige and engine bay with that much mileage.

Being a WS6 Formula makes it a pretty rare car, but too much mileage to really have any collector value at this point. I wouldn't pay $6k with that many miles. I'd rather have a lower trim model (such as a Z28 or Formula), where the $6k would go further towards a nicer, lower mileage car rather than a hood/wheels/badge, but that's just me. Yeah, the engine might go for 300k, but then there's the rest of the car to worry about. At least the trans is rebuilt, but does he have receipts for anything else? If the rest of the car is original, then you can expect some repairs to be needed in the near future (pullies, PCV line, window motors, fuel pump, etc.); normal high mileage stuff.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better deals to be found. id give 3k for it.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Too many miles for the price IMO
Old 09-25-2013, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

'99 Formula WS6 is indeed a rare car but it's too much mileage for me. If all you want is a LS powered car, you're better off getting a Camaro or regular T/A in better condition with less miles for that price.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the input everyone, I was kind of thinking the same.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

I dont think the mileage is really that bad. You have too look at the car, and determine the condition. Mileage can be just a number if it was cared for correctly, and the suspension parts have been replace. Check for rust, make sure it is still making power, and the interior isnt trashed. I see the one rip on the seat, make sure that is the only damage. I would rather have a car with 200k miles that was cared for and driven on the freeway, then a car that was flogged on the track every weekend and has 100k.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

too many miles
Old 09-25-2013, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

I'd say to many miles for the price if you really want it you can haggle him down. Just make a really good walk through on the car
Old 09-25-2013, 12:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by pferris
I would rather have a car with 200k miles that was cared for and driven on the freeway, then a car that was flogged on the track every weekend and has 100k.
Everybody says this, and in theory I agree, but unless you have the chance to meet all previous owners (or you're buying from the original owner), and there is all the supporting documentation to prove the care it has received, you don't really know what you're getting. Maybe it's been treated well for the last 50k but was driven hard for the first 125k, or maybe the other way around. And even if it's the original owner, you still have to make a judgement call on his supposed level of honesty.

It's always a bit of a gamble with used cars, and the higher the mileage the more opportunity there was for abuse/lack of care throughout its service life. All things being equal, a 100k mile car will be more reliable than a 200k mile car (unless everything has been replaced/rebuilt), which is why they are worth more with lower mileage.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

My general feeling towards a car like that is it is going to nickel and dime you to irritation and possible regret of buying the car.

-Darn it, radiator is leaking
-EEhhh...passenger side window motor went out
-Doh, starter took a crap
-Son of a gun, the water pump is leaking
-Are you serious? One of the headlights won't pop up anymore.
-Ugh, power steering pump needs to be changed.
-GGrrrr...looks like the fuel pump needs to be replaced.

Even though they might be things that aren't really that big of a deal, little things that keep happening over and over can wear on you. That's just my 2 cents.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Also, if you want a stick, get a stick! I regretted getting my auto. Drove around pretending to change gears
Old 09-25-2013, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

I agree with, if you have the money, and find a lower mileage car, go for it. But, if you cant afford a low mileage car, or plan on doing extensive modification, There is no point in buying a car with lower mileage. I did buy a car with near 200k. It has since passed that. I am glad i did as i still have money left over, and was able to do the mods i wanted. Sure, i would of loved too have a 50k t/a, but that was out of the question. Yes, you must look into common problems, and do an extensive pre-purchase inspection just so you dont get burned.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A little too pricey for the mileage. Thats just my opinion, its not too bad of a deal though.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Obsessed over high miles cars are what I always go for but the deal has to be right and the torn seat is a red flag right away about how it's been cared for ... It's not obsessed over if they tore the seat and didn't replace or fix it so it's likely a well worn 176,000 miles.

my 236,000 mile 2000Z is the nicer of the ones I have owned by far its proof you can get some darn nice high miles 4th gens but I paid 3800 when it had 226k on it 3 years ago ( I put it up winters) it already had in place new suspension koni/Strano/hotchkis qtp long tubes,true duals , ls6 intake ,truck coils ,slp lid ,sd tune , ls7 clutch , kirban shifter , raptor shift light , killer stereo and much much more... Watched the previous owner run 11.9's with it a few months before I bought it lol

6000 should get you a lot of car if it has high miles , find something in nice shape with more money in upgrades than your paying for the car and you can't lose
Old 09-26-2013, 06:28 AM

I just picked up a 2001 Z28 convertible with 148,000 miles on it 1 owner female car for $4000.00, did a cat back and cold air, and I love it, weekend driver and for taking kids for ice cream
Old 09-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Teching In

I'm about to pay 4k for a 98 Z28 w/149k, one owner.

That's a lot of miles for $6k, even for CA where the used car market is over-priced. Offer the dude 4k, and explain that's a ton of miles and it's frankly not a collectible at that point.. It's still a ws6 though.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in agreement here. $6K seems high for that kind of mileage. If you have the money and aren't afraid of some future repairs, then go for it. If you want something that is likely in a bit better shape, look for a Z28 (cheapest LS powered F-body of them all).

$6K is what I'd expect to get for mine in its current condition/mileage, if I'd ever want to sell it.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Z Fury
If you want something that is likely in a bit better shape, look for a Z28 (cheapest LS powered F-body of them all).
Yep, that's exactly what I was getting at above. Whatever your budget is, you can get a lower trim level car in nicer condition/lower mileage for the same price that you'd pay for a higher mileage/lesser condition SS/WS6.

But if you only like the higher trim level cars, then I guess this is a moot point. I once paid a lot of extra money for a WS6 car, I regret that and wouldn't do it again, but my tastes have now shifted away from the WS6 cars so this is an easy decision for me.

One point to consider here though is the fact that the lower trim level cars are sometimes harder to find in nice shape. Lots of people kept their SS/WS6 cars in better condition over the years, while lots of Z28s just got beat.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy, thoughts?