Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OR/Y vs Catted Y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OR/Y vs Catted Y pipe

I know this has probably been covered a million times but I'm getting Pacestter LTs with the loudmouth 1 exhaust and I just don't know which 1 to run I want it loud but I hear it gets really raspy and drone on the highway an I don't want to have to get under the car every year when it's time for smog -_- . If I go with a catted y will it still have deep rumble and be loud? I know it will cut a lot of rasp. What are your opinions?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:07 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The loudmouth 1 is loud and raspy regardless. If you are trying to cut down on some of it I would at least do the loudmouth 2. As for the cats, its hard to describe sound to a person on the internet but it would be less raspy with the cats. Its going to be loud no matter what.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My cousin and I both have exact same headers, 3" y pipe, loudmouth cat back except I have cats in my y pipe and he doesn't..

Mine=loud at every speed/rpm....his=LOUD as f**k at every speed/rpm, you can hear his car from more than a mile away!

I hate when people say they want a loud car, but not too loud...that's like saying you wanna go fast but not too fast....my reply : get a Prius
Old 09-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Lmao at the Prius comment I feel you man... Thanx for the advice tho what I'm saying is I don't want a lot of drone when crusing
Old 09-27-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Then you definitely don't want a loudmouth 1...not sure about the 2 I've never heard it...you can add the flow pac mufflers right at the tailpipe for a more refined sound...I for one enjoy obnoxious exhaust notes that irritate neighbors and coworkers lol
Old 09-27-2013, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The loudmouth 1 DOES NOT have any type of "muffling" inside the chamber of the muffler. It is just a straight through tube that expands a few inches bigger than your piping. With a LM1 catback you will just be running straight pipes with an expansion chamber. Useless waste of money! No point to it at all except to get a good stainless piping system and replace with muffler with something better. I.E. Bullets, Sweet thunders, Borla XR-1.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Thanxs for the comments I'll keep that in mine
Old 09-27-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Until recently I ran the LM 1 with Pacesetter long tubes and ORY. Combine that with a big cam, the crapy merge in the Pacesetter ORY, and being loud and raspy was an understatement lol. Do yourself a favor which ever way you go....get a ORY with a good merge in it, or have a Flowmaster merge welded in...that's what I did. The merge alone will help a lot on the rasp, sound, and flow
Old 09-27-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Until recently I ran the LM 1 with Pacesetter long tubes and ORY. Combine that with a big cam, the crapy merge in the Pacesetter ORY, and being loud and raspy was an understatement lol. Do yourself a favor which ever way you go....get a ORY with a good merge in it, or have a Flowmaster merge welded in...that's what I did. The merge alone will help a lot on the rasp, sound, and flow
The lm is really only loud on a cammed car.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Loudmouth is so useless that tons of people are running it...
Old 09-28-2013, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Loudmouth is so useless that tons of people are running it...
B/c it was one of the first actually well built stainless systems that fits these cars well and sounds good if you have cats still because it's basically straight pipe and there are a lot of young people that like their car to be really loud lol! The previous owner of my T/A put it on here, I am going to replace it with Borla when I get headers. And it's from SLP which is a very well known company for these cars as well. But if you want your car to even be close to quiet. SLP LM1 is useless except for the stainless piping.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I was going to get a ORY originally too but didn't want to dismantle my exhaust system every time emissions came around, and also I'm not a fan of rasp. But with catted y pipes, really bad ground clearance seems to be an issue. I've seen some with just 3" of clearance. So which brand gives me the most clearance (TSP 1 7/8 LT's)?
Old 09-28-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS

X2 Pacesetter merge sucks

Quick Reply: OR/Y vs Catted Y pipe