New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car feels different after clutch install....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car feels different after clutch install....

well i put my 400 miles on my clutch before i started going WOT....and since i have the car seems like it is slower...the tires wont break in first...and it just flat out doesnt seem as strong...i didnt put a heavier flywheel in, just a new one and my clutch is a spec stgIII xpad...anyone have any earthly idea what the hell is goin on????
Old 05-04-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

someone please help me with this.....
Old 05-04-2004, 11:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HM....I don't have any experience with the X-pad personally, but where is the clutch engaging/disengaging at? Does it feel like it is "grabbing" really well? It might also be really tight right now, with all new guts on your clutch...give it another tank of gas of good spirited driving, unless it gets worse....mayeb it'll help..
Tim
Old 05-05-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well it feels like it grabs really well...i know my pipes are hitting the floorboard again...i would think that would be since it grabs so much harder that it causes the engine to torque more(could be wrong)...it enguages real close to floor and it doesnt allow for any feathering(from the research ive done this is normal)...it just seems a lot slower and i dont know why??
Old 05-05-2004, 12:22 AM
9 Second Club

you called spec? I would call them and tell them what it's doing....maybe they've ran into this before???
Old 05-05-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i called the guy today and basically got the answer i was expecting..."unless the clutch is slipping its not possible to lose power from the clutch." so now i have to start checking other areas...it is more than obvious that i am missing power somehwhere and now im convinced that this is just a coincidence...im going to check my plugs, and then do a diagnostics test to see if i have any codes...the engine only has 22k miles on it and i take care of it...any other suggestions would be nice
Old 05-05-2004, 02:55 PM
9 Second Club

it's hard to tell considering you think the car just feels sluggish....i would check plugs and double check that the wires are well plugged in...does it idle smoothly?
Old 05-05-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea it idles fine...no ticking noise like a BHG or anything like that....however the pipes are NAILING the floorboard and im beginning to wonder if its giving false KR and causing the timing to be retarded enough for me lose this kind of power
Old 05-05-2004, 03:03 PM
9 Second Club

ALot of guys pipes do that(common esp with our Hooker style ORY)....I didn't notice any KR though..hm....you can take a old coolant hose in between the pipe and the floorboard, take it out for a drive and see if it clears up any....that would be a temp fix to the pipe problem...when was the last time you changed plugs? Changed the fuel filter lately???
Old 05-05-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

havent changed either of them...i am going to change the plugs this weekend since as of now i have zero dollar bills to my name...how do you tell if ur getting KR?
Old 05-05-2004, 03:08 PM
9 Second Club

really can't unless you have a programmer/scanner of some sort....
go ahead and change out the fuel filter when you change plugs...make sure your plug wires are in good shape too(i don't think it's the prob though)

Only way to find out other than software is like i said, rigg your y-pipe with a colant rubber piping and see if some power comes back. It'll take a while for the tune to loosen back up.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

would it help if i reset the pcm?? thats what im waiting on right now...
Old 05-05-2004, 03:13 PM
9 Second Club

sure would. Definately can't hurt. do that, and do the little riggin on your y-pipe. Drive down to the parts store, and get your new plugs(NGK TR-55's, and a replacement stock fuel filter).....just see how it drives