Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new LS1 car

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new LS1 car

Hello all. I finally found a 2002 6 speed z28 camaro. I am pretty new with cars, but I am trying to use this as a learning experience. I have invested a lot into tools which also includes an air compressor. I am trying to pretty much learn from scratch. What I want to know is what would be the best place to start learning. I want to do tasteful mods that wont detract from that cars value, or cause it to run bad and throw SES lights. I was thinking of starting with shocks/springs, but any advice would be great. I want to work towards getting a cam/heads installed, but I lack a tuner in my area (as far as I know) and like I said I am not trying to drive a car with an SES light.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Teching In

You can look all over this website There is a lot of good info. If you Can think of it someone has probaly tried it. There are also books at stores like barn & noble that will help u with the right head and cam packages and how to install them. Also boos on suspension to.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Post some pics and a little more info on the car.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

new LS1 car-yqjfjx2.jpg

I think it has all SS options, but wasn't an SS from the factory. It has ~70,000 miles. Leather, t-tops, and all power options. The previous owner says it has an SLP intake and an SLP loudmouth 2 catback. Everything else is stock. Clean title and no wrecks. Sorry this is really the only pic I have since I had to drive it right into the garage for storage.

I was thinking of switching to full synthetic oil come spring time. Is that a good idea?
Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, looks to be a Z28 with SS hood and wheels. Nothing wrong with that though, it's a nice clean looking car. One quick and easy thing is the skip shift eliminator if you don't have it already. As for the oil, full synthetic would be fine if you choose. Enjoy, these are fun cars to drive!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

synthetic is good. sharp car. i have the lm2 also. do u like it? some say its too quiet but i love it.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thats a great looking car. What you have looks like a Z28 with a SS hood installed after purchase from the dealer. Theres no SS spoiler and if it has the SLP intake it was also aftermarket. The SLP Loudmouth exhaust is definately aftermarket. The wheels however are the SS wheels that were also swapped in. You have a very nice car with alot of very nice parts but it was a Z28 from the factory. I uploaded some pics of my factory SS in the attachments. My stripes and headlights and taillights are aftermarket but a factory SLP SS has SS emblems, the SLP SS grille, The wheels you have (I got rid of mine), and the SS spoiler for exterior appearance package. There were two SLP options for genuine SLP cars. One came with the SLP Intake and Blackwing filter 335 HP. And the other came with the SLP Intake and FIlter and the SLP Center Mount Exhaust (CME) or the Quad-Tip SLP exhaust both rated for 345 HP. Mine had both and the non- SLP SS cars supposedly came with 325 HP. If I remember right the Z28 was rated at 315 HP, but personally the HP ratings are bull **** a Z28 can be just as fast as a stock SS, they are both really nice and each have their own appearance preferences which is probably the only obvious difference between Z28's and SS's.

A hint on posting pics, Go into paint and make sure the size of it is relatively small, atleast small enough to fit on screen to not stretch the window horizontally. Just makes it better to read a thread.

As far as learning things about cars. You found the right sight. Before I started reading here I considered myself technically inclined. Not I have the confidence to do the majority of work on my car. I am still working up to do engine internals but a lack of funds as put that to rest for a while.
Attached Thumbnails new LS1 car-dscf0869edit.jpg   new LS1 car-dscf2442edit.jpg  

Last edited by jaxcam02; 11-25-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JDEP162
synthetic is good. sharp car. i have the lm2 also. do u like it? some say its too quiet but i love it.
The exhaust is in no way shape or form quiet. Starting the car sounds amazing, and idle sounds really good. WOT sounds deep and not raspy like some major exhaust brands.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can send your ECM to some tuners for a pretty good tune .Frost on here dose great mail order tunes .whats your budget ?check Texas Speed for heads cam combos .vengeance racing sells a good head/cam combo.there are a couple of great cam people here ,that will grind you a cam to maximize you whole build .a ls6 intake is good to 440 hp ,consider a fast intake if you want more .check the ws6 store also for parts .
Old 11-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by garygnu
you can send your ECM to some tuners for a pretty good tune .Frost on here dose great mail order tunes .whats your budget ?check Texas Speed for heads cam combos .vengeance racing sells a good head/cam combo.there are a couple of great cam people here ,that will grind you a cam to maximize you whole build .a ls6 intake is good to 440 hp ,consider a fast intake if you want more .check the ws6 store also for parts .
For cam/heads I can do $2,000. I love the MS3, but I don't want to deal with mail order tunes as I will be missing power and possibly driving with an SES light. I remember spending 3 full days adjusting my dads carb on his 396 chevelle. I want that kind of tuning, but sadly I don't think anyone locally can do that.

Quick Reply: new LS1 car