New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Ls1 owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ls1 owner

Recently got a 99 SS Camaro. The car has bbk long tube headers and some sort of exhaust. I'm thinking of getting a K&N CAI and a Borla catback but i am really o the fence about what catback system to get because there are so many to choose from. I also bought bmr subframe connectors and strut tower brace and now im looking into what shocks and struts to get. upon getting the new exhaust and cai i plan on getting the car tuned. The car is my daily driver and i wanna make mods that still allow me to keep it as my daily and get the most enjoyment out of the car. I have wanted this car for a long time i had a 93 z28, a 91 rs and a 95 formula and now i finally have an SS. I would really appreciate any suggestions or any information your willing to share. This is my first LS1 and has sentimental value to me. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2014, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by J_God
Recently got a 99 SS Camaro. The car has bbk long tube headers and some sort of exhaust. I'm thinking of getting a K&N CAI and a Borla catback but i am really o the fence about what catback system to get because there are so many to choose from. I also bought bmr subframe connectors and strut tower brace and now im looking into what shocks and struts to get. upon getting the new exhaust and cai i plan on getting the car tuned. The car is my daily driver and i wanna make mods that still allow me to keep it as my daily and get the most enjoyment out of the car. I have wanted this car for a long time i had a 93 z28, a 91 rs and a 95 formula and now i finally have an SS. I would really appreciate any suggestions or any information your willing to share. This is my first LS1 and has sentimental value to me. Thanks!
Depending on your budget...I would do in this order: Skip the K&N CAI...Headers, SS3600 stall, LS6 intake, good streetable cam for sound and performance = big smile.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
Depending on your budget...I would do in this order: Skip the K&N CAI...Headers, SS3600 stall, LS6 intake, good streetable cam for sound and performance = big smile.
Thanks! But why skip the cai? And i have bbk longtubes are you saying to change them? And i was a little weary of changing internals and intake seeing as the motor has 85xxx miles on it and i was told not to ever do a cam or heads or intake on a motor thats been together for that long, if your gonna do it do it early or do it with a crate motor. Thts just what i was told and i changed the heads on my lt1 with 140xxx + miles and got a rod knock a few months after so that always made me weary. I would love to do an lsx intake and MS4 cam but again i dont want to damage the car
Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

At 85k it should be totally fine to do a HCI if the car has been well maintained and is in good working order. I'd keep the BBK long tubes, get a SLP lid, maybe a SSRA. Does the car have a ORY pipe now?
Old 01-12-2014, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
At 85k it should be totally fine to do a HCI if the car has been well maintained and is in good working order. I'd keep the BBK long tubes, get a SLP lid, maybe a SSRA. Does the car have a ORY pipe now?
Yeah, I missed the LT' already...^^what he said^^
Old 01-13-2014, 02:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah the k&n is overpriced and imo ugly as sin. slp lid 99bucks. LM2 catback 349bucks. stall 500ish. cam??. done.(for a few months)
Old 01-15-2014, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

I have the Borla adjustable catback. Its ALRIGHT.. and I'm being generous when saying that. Go with the GMMG right from the start. I see you're planning to mod it a lot, so it will sound really good especially with Longtube Headers and a cam Also, look at getting a cutout, they're awesome for when a mustang pulls up to you lol

Shocks, depending on your goals I would give Sam Strano a call.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Banned

I did a cam swap on my car with 100k miles and its totally fine but stall, gears, full exhuast, lid, cam,port the heads for now and ls6 intake then tune you'll be more than happy for a while

Sent from my LG-LS980 using IB AutoGroup
Old 01-15-2014, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

^What this guy said
Old 01-15-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd look at the BBK headers as a gift, and keep them. I have the Borla catback on my daughter's '08 Mustang GT and it has a nice deep tone, I have Magnaflow on my T/A and it shakes the house! lol Here is a good link, it really helped me and still does. Its a blast shopping for stuff as I'm sure you know, like a kid in a candy store
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html
Old 01-17-2014, 03:51 PM

I agree with "MAC".
Old 01-17-2014, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go to Texas Speed and start shopping .

Quick Reply: New Ls1 owner