Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear-End Pretty Much Gone.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear-End Pretty Much Gone.

So my diff is pretty much toast, not sure how to go about shopping for a new one. I've heard good things about MOSER and ford 9 inch. I want 373 ratio not sure what splines and such to look for with it. What do you guys think? I plan to give her more power so I might as well do it right the first time.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check out Bob at brute speed in the rear gear sections,he sells moser rears .you can get 35 spline for no extra price ,and they will handle a lot of power .the toughest decision is what differential .
Old 02-02-2014, 05:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by garygnu
check out Bob at brute speed in the rear gear sections,he sells moser rears .you can get 35 spline for no extra price ,and they will handle a lot of power .the toughest decision is what differential .
Thanks, I appreciate it! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-02-2014, 05:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by MidnightDynamite
So my diff is pretty much toast, not sure how to go about shopping for a new one. I've heard good things about MOSER and ford 9 inch. I want 373 ratio not sure what splines and such to look for with it. What do you guys think? I plan to give her more power so I might as well do it right the first time.
How much additional power do you intend to add? This will determine which differential to go with. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-a...Ends_c2632.htm Please take a look at the Moser 9 inch rears at the link here, which include free shipping, and let me know if you have any questions. Thanks. Bob

Old 02-02-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The 9 inch is a good rear but unless you plan on changing your gears frequently you might be better off getting a S60 or a 12-Bolt. It might also save you some money.

The 9 inch gained popularity with racers primarily because of the ease of changing gears as well as the bearing retainers on the housing ends. Not because it was stronger or better than the Dana 60 or 12 bolt. The 9 inch has a higher parasitic power loss than either the Dana 60 (S60) or he 12 bolt. In short you get more power to the tires with the S60 or 12 bolt.

If you order a 12 bolt you can get them with the housing end axel retainer plates, this eliminates the c-clips.

The advantage of the housing end retainer plates is if you brake an axel the axel flange (and tire & wheel) stay connected to the rear. This reduces potential damage to the car and prevents the tire & wheel form flying off.

Good luck.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

My goal is around 500 wheel, idk what splines and such I would need I have some research to do. Also Bob I'll check out your inventory !
Old 02-02-2014, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Normally the extra spline do not cost extra, unless you go to 40 spline which you won't need.

35 splines will give you plenty of strength, good for more than you will be making. Spend some time researching the different carriers, TruTrac, WaveTrac, locker, etc.

The best way to find out about them is to call someone like Moser, or Strange and ask lots of questions.

Good luck
Old 02-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Hooyah you guys kick ***.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by MidnightDynamite
My goal is around 500 wheel, idk what splines and such I would need I have some research to do. Also Bob I'll check out your inventory !
Thanks!

The factory 10 bolt that came in these cars has a very small 7.5" gear. A variation of this rear was used back in the '70's in the Chevy Monza, then in the Chevy S-10. GM had to of known they would have warranty claims when they decided to use this rear in the 3rd and 4th gen f body's, apparently the cost of creating a stronger rear was higher than what they thought the warranty cost would be. This has been a real plus for the aftermarket, as a bone stock LS1 F Body with a manual transmission can break one of these 10 bolt rears! Many people have tried to beef these 10 bolt rears, spending a lot of money in the process. What they normally end up with is a rear that still breaks, as everything on these rears is too small.
The 12 bolt rears that are available for these cars is a step in the right direction. The 12 bolts are well known for being a stout rear that was a factory option back in the day in many performance cars. You can have a 12 bolt in an early Chevelle, Nova, Camaro, etc, and beat the snot out of it and not hurt anything. Put a 12 bolt into a late model f body that uses a torque arm, make a couple 4000 to 5000 rpm launches at the dragstrip, and I can just about guarantee you'll have a lot more gear noise on the way home. The torque arm seems to distort the housing on the 12 bolts, and it seems to happen to all the brands of 12 bolt rears. This does not happen to the 9 inch rears, and there is no price difference between the 12 bolt and nine inch rears. As the horsepower in our engines keep escalating, most people these days go straight to the nine inch rear. The 9-inch has an internal rear-pinion support that also supports the gear end of the pinion to limit gear deflection under high torque loads. This seems to be the major reason why the 9 inch doesn't start whining after high rpm clutch dumps, when the 12 bolt will pick up noise. The 9-inch locates its pinion gear lower on the ring gear to improve tooth contact, better the 12 bolt does. The 9-inch also has a 0.125-inch larger ring-gear diameter and internal pinion support than the 12 bolt. Bob

Old 02-03-2014, 02:20 AM
Staging Lane

Awesome info learning new **** everyday.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

I have a S60 in my car and so far it has been perfect. Easy install, no gear noise, and has taken all the abuse I can throw at it. Give Carl at Central Racing Parts a call (or pm him) and he can discuss the pricing & +/- of a S60. Either way I think you'd be happy with a S60 or 9in.

Quick Reply: Rear-End Pretty Much Gone.