Sponsored by:

My Questions For My New Toy

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Questions For My New Toy

Hello LS1Tech,

So I have purchased a 2001 Pontiac Trans Am with the ls1, m6, off my parents. I believe we are the third owner. I have recently took it to the track and I some how went a 13.27 at a 105mph in the 1/4 mile. Now a little bit about the car, as far I am aware, it is completely stock. The only thing I know about is that the bottom of the air box is cut-out and my exhaust is just dumping right after the y-pipe, stock 10 bolt with a 3.42 gear. The car is hitting 100,000 miles soon and I'm just surprise that from what I have read that the car should run mid to high 13's. Does anyone believe a previous owner got the car tuned, or am I just lucky to have a strong motor? Another question I have is that I plan on getting a turbo upgrade over the winter. A local reputable shop says that they use a 88mm turbo and with my completely stock motor I'll be okay with 550~600hp. Of course they recommend head bolts and head gaskets but should I be worrying about other things? I am aware of the rear end and the fuel system but I just am preparing for the worst. The car is my daily driver, I do race the car at the Route 66 Raceway, and I am a college student so I'm trying to get a bad a** car for the best price. I respect everyone's opinion and i'm just trying to learn everything I can, hence why I'm going to school for automotive. So thank you for the feedback.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

the time you ran isnt unusual stock/ish ls1 fbody.

yes,your stock bottom end should be able to handle that kind of power as long as precautions are made and you have a competent tuner.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Normal time. On low boost you should be OK, but if you want to crank it up you'll need the supporting mods for sure.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Forced induction is expensive. You may want to look into the cost of that before you go that route. Also what shop are you talking too I live in the area and am just courious. What's you budget for this? I went to jjc for auto is that where you are going?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Speed01
Hello LS1Tech,

So I have purchased a 2001 Pontiac Trans Am with the ls1, m6, off my parents. I believe we are the third owner. I have recently took it to the track and I some how went a 13.27 at a 105mph in the 1/4 mile. Now a little bit about the car, as far I am aware, it is completely stock. The only thing I know about is that the bottom of the air box is cut-out and my exhaust is just dumping right after the y-pipe, stock 10 bolt with a 3.42 gear. The car is hitting 100,000 miles soon and I'm just surprise that from what I have read that the car should run mid to high 13's. Does anyone believe a previous owner got the car tuned, or am I just lucky to have a strong motor?
ET is largely a product of traction, so it's hard to compare different cars in this regard unless you know that both were able to attain a perfect launch. Having said that, under the most common conditions most stock LS1s will run mid-13s, though some have run high 12s and some low 14s, so you are right in the ball park.

Trap speeds are a better indicator of power (when weight and gearing are relatively consistant). 105mph is about average for a stock M6 LS1, though having a catback delete (even better than a cutout, since you've reduced weight as well) and being an '01 (better intake than '98-'00 and better exhaust manifolds than '98-'99), that trap speed is probably just a hair lower than it should be. This might be due to the weather conditions on that run, or the fact that you shifted slightly earlier than you could've, or it might just indicate that some general maintenance is needed (plus/filters/basic tune-up related items). Some pratice and maintenance might net you a couple more MPH of trap speed.

I would take a pass on major modifications for a 100k mile, 13 year old car that you want to use as your daily driver, assuming it's your only means of transportation. Sometimes when you go down this road, everything works out great, sometimes not. In my experience, it's better to have a reliable daily driver on the side before starting major projects on your "toy". It's a big hassle if you start running into problems and delays and don't have any means of transportation in the mean time.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:57 PM
Teching In

DS98Formula, the shop I'm looking at is Straightline Performance, I believe they are a sponsor on here as well. I'm aware of the main cost hence why I'm saving up till winter or so but its the hidden costs that I'm working out or the little things to make it all run smoothly. Yes, I am currently going to JJC for Automotive.

RPM WS6, Thank you on the input. The car just went through the much needed tune up. My shift points were at 5500rpm and my problem was that I am an arm's length away from the finish line when I need to go into fourth. Like you said, I just need much needed practice. I plan on shifting a little earlier so I can be in fourth gear a little sooner. As for the DD problem, the Trans Am is my DD/track day but I do have one other car in case of things going south. Like right now I'm using it because the clutch master cylinder went out. So if hell comes my way I do have some transportation, reliable...... well that's a different story. There are many reasons why I choose the Trans Am over my other P.O.S. besides speed and looks.

MetalMilitia and Ultimate, Thank you for your input. Again the numbers felt a little to good in my opinion but there are variables that enhance or hinder times.
Thanks Again everyone.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

RPM WS6, Thank you on the input. The car just went through the much needed tune up. My shift points were at 5500rpm and my problem was that I am an arm's length away from the finish line when I need to go into fourth. Like you said, I just need much needed practice. I plan on shifting a little earlier so I can be in fourth gear a little sooner.
5500rpm is already too low IMO. I think you will find your best trap speeds shifting as late as you can before hitting the rev limiter (6200rpm). It'll take a few runs to get a good idea of what displayed rpm (factory tach) you can shift at before hitting the limiter.

With higher shift points, I think a 106-107mph run would be possible in same-weather conditions. Maybe even a touch higher than that.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RPM nailed it, and as for a turbo set up, it crossed my mind once too, then i read a thread in the forced induction page called "the real cost of forced induction" that was the last time i thought of it lol. give it a look. im on spray now, a tenth of the cost, and its fun as hell.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Teching In

RPM, shifting 500-600 rpm later will make that much of a difference? I knew it would a little bit but I didn't think it would be enough to mention. Well I'm going to the track next Sunday so I'll do some testing then. Again thank you for your vast knowledge.

JDEP, I believe I have read that thread once or twice also. I took it more of a peace of mind set up then what was absolutely necessary. I'll have to re-read it. As for the spray set up, I have never really been a big fan of it because I feel like you have to keep paying for extra power where like forced induction you put a little extra money up front and you can have as much power as you want when you want. That's my thinking, but I guess I could take another look into it and see how much it goes for. Thank you for the input.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:15 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

RPM, shifting 500-600 rpm later will make that much of a difference? I knew it would a little bit but I didn't think it would be enough to mention. Well I'm going to the track next Sunday so I'll do some testing then. Again thank you for your vast knowledge.
You should definitely notice an improvement, especially if it allows you to cross the traps in 3rd gear (which it should). Depending on next Sunday's weather, you might not be able to directly compare those runs to the previous runs, so try both the higher and lower shift point on the same day and see what the difference is. I would be surprised if you didn't pick up at least 1mph between the two, and would not be surprised if there was even a bit more than that.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The LS bottom end should be fine but you'll be limited to how much boost you can run on a stock motor. Theres a lot of planning that goes into a turbo build. I made a ton of mistakes the first go around. You also won't need a 88mm to see those numbers. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:16 PM
Teching In

RPM, I will definitely keep that in mind when I go to the track Sunday.

Monmouth, That's what I have been hearing. Also from what I have read is most people are using 70's mm turbo. how big of a turbo do you recommend? My power goals are not set because being a 20 year, I enjoy a good adrenaline rush. Thanks for the input.

Couple more general questions, What on the top half of the motor wears down because of a turbo? Should I think about building the motor before I do the turbo so I can have less to worry about? Like getting some 6.0 heads, cam, forged rotating assembly, etc.

Also a buddy of mine has a 73 Challenger and likes talking about how fast his car is. He sent me a time slip today and his best time was a 10.23. First this car is pretty much a full track car. But for sh*ts and giggles, would love to put his money where the sun doesn't shine. So if there is a process I need to take to beat his car, please give me some input. I try and make every GM car owner happy by leaving all the mustangs I see in my rear view mirror, so if i can get some assistance on beating my buddies mopar, again give me some input.

Thanks again everyone for giving me some knowledge.

Quick Reply: My Questions For My New Toy