Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise for engine stroke & cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise for engine stroke & cams

Hello All,

Name's Nick, I'm new to LS1 Tech, just joined actually. Always been a huge fan of F-Bodies and I am currently a proud owner of a 2002 WS6 A4, its blue on silver. So far, I've done bolt-ons: Intake, full exhaust, headers, Volant air, TB, 373 gears and few other things. After dyno, I'm at 350hp & 340 torque RWHP.

My goal has always been to pass 400HP and torque so, I'm here looking for some advice!

My plan is to stroke the engine to a 383 or higher and go with cams and heads as well. I have a racing built tranny, full BMR suspension, tires & reinforced rear end. My car is built for the torque/HP, I just need to get it.

I'd like to keep the original engine block, so I'd like suggestions on the best route to go as far as engine stroke and cams and heads.
What is the best stroke, size & parts? Best cams? I'm looking for semi-aggressive; it’s a weekend car but still want to cruise around comfortably.

Also, what can I expect in gains and cost? I live in SoCal so if anyone can recommend a good place to have this done would help too!

Thanks in advance and if more info is needed I'll give what I can!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You really can't go beyond a 383 with that motor. Lot's of heads and cam options. Do you have a budget in mind
Old 04-25-2014, 03:32 AM

Budget wise to have it all done, I'm thinking 5-7 g's if possible. Not really sure cost of everything to stroke the engine, do the cams and heads plus all the things needed with them and dyno tune. My goal is to get the car past the 400HP mark so I'm hoping going this route will achieve that. Also, I've seen other posts of people stroking to 402 i think. 383 is fine if it gets me where I want to be. Also if you know any good shops in SoCal to do the work. Thanks again!
Old 04-25-2014, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have to pass emmissions with this when it's all done ? 5-7k is barely going to pay for the parts and lobor to build the engine let alone pay someone else to swap the engine.

Stick a P1SC procharger on it and keep the boost around 7-9 psi that will be good for 450+ hp.

A&A corvette is in soCal might be close to you.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

That seems odd that your torque number is lower than your HP, assuming it has a stock cam.

You also do not need a 383 to get 400+ RWHP, just a nice heads/cam package or procharger as mentioned above.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...heads-cam.html
Old 04-25-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This^^

Good set of heads and cam package will get you over 400RWHP naturally aspirated.

Boost will get you there with ease and still have a safe engine.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the advise. How much to get the procharger for the car, installed and parts? I'd like to keep the original engine block and its at 95K miles right now so I'm worried any kind of boost or major engine work will blow it. That's why I was looking into an engine stroke while having it rebuilt. Would a procharger stress the motor too much at 95k+ miles?

Thanks!

And also, having it smog legal would be a plus, but not a requirement.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nicksinbox
Thanks for the advise. How much to get the procharger for the car, installed and parts? I'd like to keep the original engine block and its at 95K miles right now so I'm worried any kind of boost or major engine work will blow it. That's why I was looking into an engine stroke while having it rebuilt. Would a procharger stress the motor too much at 95k+ miles?

Thanks!

And also, having it smog legal would be a plus, but not a requirement.
If you keep the power at a reasonable level, and have a good tune you should be fine, as long as your car is in good working order. I'm sure a new kit along with tune and install would be a little north of 5 grand
Old 04-25-2014, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What he said ^^^
Keep the power reasonable and you wont kill the motor. Although if emissions isn't a must for you you could reach your power goals with a good head/cam/intake/exhaust setup (as others have stated above). The procharger suggestion was more for the California emissions you guys face.

Do some research, call some shops and take your time deciding what setup best fits your final goals.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:10 PM

Thanks for all the help guys! My motor actually runs great, the previous owner and I have babied this car lol, It passes emmisions right now with only 2 high flow cats and LT headers! The headers and engine light for not having 2 OC sensors on is what fails it. But I'll look into a procharger, and different headers so it will pass again. If the pro charger can get me 450+ hp street legal, I'll be more than happy.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 04-25-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 04-26-2014, 04:03 AM
On The Tree

Is it true ? If the pcm detects a problem , it will start to detune the engine , cutting down the HP to save the engine .
Old 04-26-2014, 06:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when you have the ecm retuned ,you can have the rear O2 eliminated .afr heads are emission legal .get a custom cam .

Quick Reply: Advise for engine stroke & cams