New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing AC lines without taking off AC compressor, possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing AC lines without taking off AC compressor, possible?

I need to replace the AC lines that run to the condenser and the drier. My question is: is there a way to remove both those lines (they are together if I'm not mistaking) without having to pull off the AC compressor? It seems like they both bolt up to the compressor, and it looks really crammed up with little work space to pull them off without having to take off the compressor. Any tips, tricks, or past experience that might help a newbie?
Old 05-29-2014, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by peterWU8
I need to replace the AC lines that run to the condenser and the drier. My question is: is there a way to remove both those lines (they are together if I'm not mistaking) without having to pull off the AC compressor? It seems like they both bolt up to the compressor, and it looks really crammed up with little work space to pull them off without having to take off the compressor. Any tips, tricks, or past experience that might help a newbie?
If its the suction and return hoses (two lines that bolt to the back of the compressor), I had to replace them. I had to unbolt the compressor completely (maybe just because I'm lame with this stuff). I tried for hours without moving the compressor, and it didn't work. Your best bet (in my mechanically-lame opinion) is just to unbolt the compressor. Hopefully I helped somehow
Old 05-29-2014, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Yes, it is the high and low AC lines. They both are pairs and bolt to the back of the compressor as you said. I already accepted it as fact that I had to take the compressor off in order to get it out (with intention of using the compressor again, of course). Anyways, how long did it take you to get the compressor off, and how difficult was the job? Were there any things you had to take off in order to remove the compressor (besides the bolts)? Any tips will make my life easier. Working on cars is no fun in triple digits...any help would really benefit me in this heat.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It is tight but I'm pretty sure you can get them and IIRC I connected the lines to the compressor while it was in the car. A/C isn't in the car anymore though.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Getting that damn hose assembly back on is the bitch. Gotta try to hold the hoses at just the right angle, get the bolt in while making sure that the aluminum outlet is aligned with the compressor, and keep the seals from falling off is a ball buster. It can be done but it's not for the rookies.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jamesgr81
Getting that damn hose assembly back on is the bitch. Gotta try to hold the hoses at just the right angle, get the bolt in while making sure that the aluminum outlet is aligned with the compressor, and keep the seals from falling off is a ball buster. It can be done but it's not for the rookies.
Is this with the AC compressor in place, or removed?
Old 05-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Teching In

In place. If you loosen the mounting bolts it can make it easier after removing the belt.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jamesgr81
In place. If you loosen the mounting bolts it can make it easier after removing the belt.
At that point, wouldn't it be better to just completely remove the AC compressor? Or what other additional steps are there in order to remove the compressor?

Quick Reply: Removing AC lines without taking off AC compressor, possible?