Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

metallic noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default metallic noise

so I just finished replacing my clutch about close to a month ago. I am having a metallic clanging noise coming from my clutch which seems to be getting worse slowly. My last clutch had a pressure plate failure from what I understand, it was a spec stage 2 clutch, I now have an oe duralast clutch in it to try to figure out what is wrong. Whenever I seem to let off of the clutch the transmission seems to move up and down. The noise happens whether I am in neutral or engage in gear, mainly in first second and third gear. Any help with this would be appreciated since this problem seems to be killing my clutches slowly.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How was your transmission mount when you took it all apart? Those are known to separate and a fairly affordable fix. This is the only way the transmission should move up and down significantly in the shifter area unless you have catastrophic internal issue in transmission. I assume you bolted the shifter down thoroughly. Motor mounts can have somewhat the same effect but probably wouldn't cause a super noticeable movement inside the car as this would move the front of the transmission and not as much the rear. Worth checking though; OEM and many aftermarket mounts typically have soft parts in between the mounting bits to isolate vibration and these wear out, tear, separate. When not under load, they sit down thanks to gravity and probably nothing looks out of the ordinary but once you twist things up with some torque, the drive train will move around a lot if not properly tied down. Did you check the pilot bearing, throw out bearing for slack that might also cause noise? Torque arm depending on your vehicle?
Old 08-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

I tightened down the torque arm as much as it would go and I put in a new throw out bearing as well, both times. I have not checked the mounts though, but now that you mention it my tranny does tend to bounce a lot when I am driving it. My car actually sits so low that I bottomed out a couple of times and I could visually see it coming up. I will most likely replace those next, any reputable brands or places that I could get them from?
Old 08-26-2014, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Energy Suspension has always been the go-to for polyurethane mounts. I think they likely have something for you. Probably give you a little more NVH but not as much as solid mounts. Should be stronger than stock mounts.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Well I bought an energy suspension tranny mount, now I'm looking for the motor mounts. Would ws6store.com have some motor mounts, if so, where else could I go to get some strong motor mounts?
Old 08-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Another question, this will be my first time replacing motor mounts. Is there a video or step by step instructions on how to do it?
Old 08-28-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replacing motor mounts is a giant pain in the *** if your doing it with the manifolds on, if your car doesn't have headers and you can scrape another $400 together put headers on it because your going to have to do 90% of the work of putting headers on to change the motor mounts.
http://www.speedengineeringlsx.com/s...ersion-25-1021
This will save you $40 if you get headers.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...vette-o2s.html
Motor and trans mounts.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...on-mounts-kit/
And a how to.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...otsa-pics.html
Old 08-28-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Holy PIA Batman.. 52 hours really??!!??!! I'd push it off a cliff once it needed mounts.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

yeah I just looked at the instructions and I'm already dreading this problem. Thank you very much for the info fry, it was very helpful. I will post some pics and let yall know how the project goes once it's finished.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Just tried to do the tranny mount, bought an energy suspension mount that came with all the bolts. I could not install this mount because once I got the crossmember off and put the energy suspension mount on. The holes for the OE screws on either side of the crossmember would not line up on the mount. Had to leave the original mount on, but I changed tranny and rear differential fluid all to royal purple. Royal purple really helped with all the noise and made my car run cooler. Still disappointing that the new mount wouldn't go on. Anybody have any suggestions on an aftermarket mount that fits?
Old 09-11-2014, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

I would call the vendor that you bought it from and ask them if they sent you the right thing..or call the mfg. Energy Suspension has been around a long time and typically has their **** together.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd rethink that RP trans fluid, then I had mine rebuilt Tick Performance really stressed to never use synthetic transmission fluid.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

I understand where you're coming from because in an auto tranny I wouldn't put synthetic in it either. I have a six speed manual and have used every tranny oil out there on the market and rp is really the only one that has worked so well. I'll look into it though. I bought the tranny mount from ws6store.com
Old 09-14-2014, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sebe4848
I understand where you're coming from because in an auto tranny I wouldn't put synthetic in it either. I have a six speed manual and have used every tranny oil out there on the market and rp is really the only one that has worked so well. I'll look into it though. I bought the tranny mount from ws6store.com
I'm also talking about a 6 speed. T56's are the only transmission that Tick builds, I believe when they started it was the only thing they did.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Oh really? I'm not too familiar with tick, I do believe that they build a really nice master cylinder that runs about 300 dollars that is well worth the money, from what I've heard. I would like to put a new tranny in my car, but as it sits right now with vogtland springs it sits way too low and I have scraped my crossmember on the ground about three times now that I have had it on. Luckily my tranny is one tough ****** and doesn't have any scratches or leaks on it. Come to think about it, the engine was very well built as well, those iron heads are really hard to warp and it's about the only component that I haven't had to replace.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

replaced tranny mount with energy suspension mount, metallic noise is completely gone and shifting has improved dramatically. Had to use a ratchet strap to realign the tranny and then use a pry bar to align the transmission with the crossmember screw hole to thread the aftermarket screw in.

Quick Reply: metallic noise