Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack points

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack points

I know this is a stupid question to ask, but I need to ask regardless I have been jacking up my 96 ws6 on what look like black boots. I am not sure if this is the correct spot to put my jack on, what really gets to me is where to put my jack stands. I have no clue if the black boots is where I am supposed to put my stands or my jack, if so, where am I supposed to jack the car up from without cause damage to the car. I am really looking for pictures as well, please. Thankyou.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Those "black boots" are fender tab guards that were only found on the earlier models. My 03/98 build date car also has them, but some of the later '98s didn't get them, and I don't think any of the '99+ cars did at all. This is still not really the correct jacking location though. There are accessible areas of the frame behind that fender tab, and those would be the proper jacking points. If you install sub-frame connectors, one of the advantages is that you have several more jacking locations.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

I'm still at a loss at where to properly jack my car up and to place my jack stands. It seems that no matter which part of the frame I try it seems to bend a little, is there a specific part that you could name where I could put my jack and my stand on either side? front and back?
Old 09-07-2014, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What kind of jack are you using? If you don't want any of it to bend, use some sort of pad when jacking. I always used a piece of 2x4 about 4" long.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

I'm using a low profile jack since I have lowered the car about 1.5 inches. I don't remember the exact brand, but I bought it from harbor freight a while back. Where do you place your stands at? Near the wheels? I'm always so paranoid about my car falling on top of me because it has already happened once and it was a pretty close call.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never place the stands under anything that is "sprung" or moves on the car. Usually once you jack up, you can find a control arm mounting area or similar which are very strong points but I don't have an F-body so I can't tell you. Generally it is a fairly intuitive thing to identify the strong spots once you've jacked up a few cars. If you're worried, use an extra stand or two that are just below the ones holding the actual weight to catch it if it might fall off the primary stands.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

sounds good thankyou
Old 09-09-2014, 04:22 AM
Launching!

Go to installuniversity.com. link is http://www.installuniversity.com/ls1...ft-points.html. Theres lots of picks there.

the k member is a good spot to jack from, which is just in front of oil pan. I first have to jack the from sub frame because the car is too low to go straight for the k member. You can tell where to jack from the subframe because there will be two pieces of metal over over top one another a little behind the front wheels. Anything with two pieces of metal can be jacked. Once i jack the front sub frame i can sneak a jack stand under the k member and then jack the whole front from the k member. Same technique with the rear sub frame and the rear axle, just behind the drive shaft and ahead of the diff cover.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:25 AM
Launching!

Once the car is on stands, try pushing the car side to side to make sure its solid before going under. Car shouldnt budge at all.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

Nice, that helped a lot with the pictures and it was very informative. The jack stands they are using look pretty big especially at the very top. Do you happen to know what kind of jack stands those are, as I might look into purchasing them since the stands I have are kind of small/
Old 09-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Those stands look like 3 tonne jack stands. I use 3 tonne stands and have 2 6 tonne jack stands for when i had to do longtube headers or remove the tranny.

Quick Reply: Jack points