Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!AIR on 02 SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 01:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default !AIR on 02 SS

Apologies, I know this has been asked a million times before, but when I read previous posts I get a pretty confused on removing versus disabling the AIR system...

Just purchased some TSP headers and a catted Y for my 02 SS. I know my car has AIR but no EGR, and that these headers don't come with provisions for either one. That being said, what do I need to do to make these work properly without the AIR hookup on the headers?

I don't really want to remove the components of the AIR system completely, and could care less if it actually works...I just don't want an air leak or open vacuum line under the hood since the headers don't have a hookup for the stupid system. I'm assuming I have to plug a line off or something...any help is appreciated!

-Tommy
Old 09-15-2014, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remove it and don't overthink things or make it more complicated than it needs to be. Your headers have no provisions for it and you say you could care less if it works so it's just dead weight and clutter in your engine bay. Just start by unbolting the parts that hook into each your stock manifolds and then follow it's trail throughout the rest of the engine bay. Takes 20 mins to do. I forget the name of whats supposed to be plugged, but it's on the driver side behind the intake manifold, but thats all you need to plug. Just one. Theres a step by step write up somewhere you can try searching or maybe someone will post the link to it here.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:56 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty much what badformulaLS1 says, especially his first sentence.

If you like ugly emissions stuff hanging around to clutter and make it more difficult to get to other things, then the only thing you *need* to do is put a vacuum cap on the t-fitting behind the intake manifold -- it goes on the stem which the line that runs from the top of the circular vacuum thingy (I don't know what it's called) on the driver side slid on to.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Removing the AIR stuff will be free weight reduction
where you need it most (nose). You will want to kill a
couple of codes. It's easy to remove.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to everyone for the heads up - when I return from deployment I will just remove the stupid system and be done with it.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Makes a big difference in how the engine bay looks, I should have done it long ago since I don't have testing where I live. Saves a bit of weight as a bonus, wasn't much but every bit helps.

Quick Reply: !AIR on 02 SS