New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to LS engines and have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to LS engines and have some questions.

So I have been working on a procharger build for my lexus gs400. Iv been told swapping a LS engine in my car would be alot cheaper then building my current 1uz. Anyways I went to a drift event and and there was a 240sx with an engine swap and it make the most beautiful sound i have ever heard... I found his car on a site and it was indeed an ls1 engine and I am all for the swap and want to start the build ASAP. My questions are, the SOUND and WHP are what I'm after. The LS1's mods were lingenfelter heads, ls6 intake manifold and custom ground cam. Would I need to replicate these engine parts to get the same sound? Or can I throw on my current V2 vortech and basically replicate the same exhaust/piping mods while making around the same whp?

Anyways what is the most price effective way to build this engine? Do I go to a junkyard and find a block and just build it up in my garage? 380 to 400whp is what I'm looking for. Since the car is my DD

here is the site of the car where I got my info

http://streetsweepergang.com/paint-drippin-elite-automotive-candied-240sx/

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WggMq_JzWyc

And a video of the car and the exhaust note I am trying to achieve
Old 09-25-2014, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome...

Your goal of 380-400 hp is easy to do with a junk yard LS1/6. Cam, intake, and headers is all you would need. Heads would take you past the 400 mark.

Is this car going to be a manual transmission ?

As far as sound goes, do you have room in the car for long tube headers and a true dual exhaust ?
Old 09-25-2014, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by conan
Welcome...

Your goal of 380-400 hp is easy to do with a junk yard LS1/6. Cam, intake, and headers is all you would need. Heads would take you past the 400 mark.

Is this car going to be a manual transmission ?

As far as sound goes, do you have room in the car for long tube headers and a true dual exhaust ?
Would it be better if I just used my procharger since I already have it? I paid a decent amount for my vortech v2. Could I just use the supercharger for now and upgrade the cams and heads down the road when I'm ready for more power?

And I was actually thinking of using a auto since the car is my daily.. I wanted to use the manuel mode on the transmission and hook it up to my steering wheel shifters.

And as for the headers I'm not exactly sure if it will fit.. I know I have room to run true duels but I'm sure with enough cutting I could fit some long tubes, does it sound like the 240 has long tubes?
Old 09-25-2014, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do you have a Procharger or a Vortech supercharger ?

Are talking about supercharging your current engine or a LS motor ?
Old 09-25-2014, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what is your budget ? a ls1,ls6,ls2 ,and some 5.3s use a aluminum block .the 5.3 will probably be the easiest to find .look at places like Texas Speed to get a idea of how much things mite cost.get a cam meant for a super charger ,it is worth the extra power .buy the cam last after you have bought all your parts .
Old 09-26-2014, 04:26 AM
Teching In

Do you have a Procharger or a Vortech supercharger ?

Are talking about supercharging your current engine or a LS motor ?
I have a procharger sorry, all the procharged Lexus's on youtube and the forums say supercharged. When they are actually procharged.

And yes I was talking about pro charging the ls1 with the vortech
Old 09-26-2014, 04:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garygnu
what is your budget ? a ls1,ls6,ls2 ,and some 5.3s use a aluminum block .the 5.3 will probably be the easiest to find .look at places like Texas Speed to get a idea of how much things mite cost.get a cam meant for a super charger ,it is worth the extra power .buy the cam last after you have bought all your parts .
I don't actually have a budget, I was going to pull out a loan for the swap, with my car being a 2001 and 200k on the engine things are starting to leak and break from age, and just to get power from it I would need to get a $tandalone ecu and pay an arm and leg for forged internals, not to mention the stock tranny can barley hold 300whp. I just want a whole new engine and the LS engine seems like a great platform for reliability and performance, and from what I have heard is they are easy to work on.. For crying out loud I need to replace a knock sensor on my lexus and its under the intake manifold... And I might as well replace the starter that's in their also. I'm just confused on how to go about this build. I would like at least 500-550 at the crank with good reliability through an automatic. I just mentioned the procharger cause I have a vortech v2 head unit just laying around. I don't know where to start really. If I want an ls1 engine do I buy a smaller block like a 5.3 and have a machine shop turn it into a 5.7? Like I said I'm really new to these engines
Old 09-26-2014, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 6.0Lover
I have a procharger sorry, all the procharged Lexus's on youtube and the forums say supercharged. When they are actually procharged.

And yes I was talking about pro charging the ls1 with the vortech
I'm confused here ^^^

Procharger is a brand of superchargers... http://www.procharger.com/

Vortech is also a brand of superchargers...
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/

Both are superchargers, which are belt dirven turbines.

What supercharger are you thinking of for your LS build ?
Old 09-26-2014, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Scroll down to the Conversions and Hybrids section and do a little digging, you should be able to find at least a couple of build threads with cars similar to yours. We can't really help much with helping plan a engine build without a budget to work within, but you may be better off selling the supercharger and going NA depending on cost of brackets and piping.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there are many ways to skin this cat you just have to know what your ultimate goal is and what you are willing to spend...as other members are asking. Think about things such as staying NA vs Forced Induction....two totally different ways to attack your build.

As far as the sound, that will depend on a few factors like exhaust configuration, cam, is it FI or not, etc.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:27 AM
Teching In

I'm confused here ^^^

Procharger is a brand of superchargers... http://www.procharger.com/

Vortech is also a brand of superchargers...
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/

Both are superchargers, which are belt dirven turbines.

What supercharger are you thinking of for your LS build ?
Okay, we'll actually I was the one confused.. I thought belt driven turbines were prochargers. I thought supercharger ss were the ones that sit directly on top of the engine. So yes, I have a vortech supercharger head unit that I was planning to install.. On my gs. I was thinking if I do the engine swap I would just use the vortech to make power and not have to spend too much for n/a power
Old 09-28-2014, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have you ever though about just looking around for a used 4th gen. After you spend the time and money to get a motor, build it and install it you could probably have a decent Camaro/Firebird.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Okay, we'll actually I was the one confused.. I thought belt driven turbines were prochargers. I thought supercharger ss were the ones that sit directly on top of the engine. So yes, I have a vortech supercharger head unit that I was planning to install.. On my gs. I was thinking if I do the engine swap I would just use the vortech to make power and not have to spend too much for n/a power
What size is the vortech head unit you have ?
Old 09-28-2014, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Centrifugal type superchargers are the ones that look like belt driven turbochargers, Roots type superchargers are the ones that sit on top of the engine.
Also your hp goal should be extremely easy to achieve, 400rwhp is child's play N/A or FI. The guy in the 240sx you linked to must have a very very mild cam if he is only making 380rwhp with LPE heads...
Old 09-29-2014, 03:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
Have you ever though about just looking around for a used 4th gen. After you spend the time and money to get a motor, build it and install it you could probably have a decent Camaro/Firebird.
True. I just love my second gen gs and I plan to keep it forever.. I actually want a new camaro ss it's just not in my budget for now. And maybe one day the newer cts v's

What size is the vortech head unit you have ?
Size?

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Centrifugal type superchargers are the ones that look like belt driven turbochargers, Roots type superchargers are the ones that sit on top of the engine.
Also your hp goal should be extremely easy to achieve, 400rwhp is child's play N/A or FI. The guy in the 240sx you linked to must have a very very mild cam if he is only making 380rwhp with LPE heads...
Yeah, I just don't want to run a big cam since it will be my dd. I don't want really big power cause I don't wanna get the tranny built and have to worry about it. I travel alot for work especially and I need the car as reliable as possible.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:17 AM
Teching In

I don't really have a budget. I have 1500$ to build an engine and I was going to pull out a loan for the rest. I was hoping I could build an ls1 from scratch and just boost it with the safest tune possible. Maybe throw some headers and a custom exhaust. I have not built an engine before but I'm on vacation and I was thinking this would be a perfect time to start
Old 09-29-2014, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hate to bust your bubble but your not going to build a LS1 from scratch for $1500. I think your first step is going to be to find a bracket to hang that SC off a LS motor, I did a quick search and found that Vortech has discontinued many of there there LS based kits so it might be hard to find something to fit. It may end up costing more than its worth if you have to have an expensive custom bracket made.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do you know what blower that is ? Model ?
Old 09-30-2014, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fry_
Hate to bust your bubble but your not going to build a LS1 from scratch for $1500. I think your first step is going to be to find a bracket to hang that SC off a LS motor, I did a quick search and found that Vortech has discontinued many of there there LS based kits so it might be hard to find something to fit. It may end up costing more than its worth if you have to have an expensive custom bracket made.
I really can't build an ls1 from scratch with 1500? Then would it be better to buy a long block ls2 then? They are going for 3-4k on craigslist from shops with 3 year 36k mile warrantys, also come with custom cams and arp head bolts.

Do you know what blower that is ? Model ?
Idk. I got it on craigslist on trade. I will have to look for it and find out.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you can figure out if that SC is big enough and how to get it to work, just about any LS motor will work, I'd just look for a good low mile motor. A 5.3 L33 would be my top choice, it's a truck motor so it's cheaper but it still has a aluminum block plus it has 799 heads (same as LS2 and LS6 motors). Run it at 8lbs of boost should be reliable with a good tune and good for at least 425-450rwhp.

Quick Reply: New to LS engines and have some questions.