Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Throttle Body / PCV Hose Combo Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Throttle Body / PCV Hose Combo Question

Recent 2002 Camaro purchase. My A/C was not working. The small vacuum hose that attaches to rear of intake to HVAC Check Valve had no vacuum. I couldn't get my hands around the back of the intake all the way. I decided to pull intake off. I studied the forums here for a week or so prior to doing the job. From all that I read I went ahead and ordered a new PCV Hose, Intake gaskets and OPSU. So questions this, there is a fitting at top of Throttle body. This fitting connects a hose to passenger valve cover. Is this fitting part of PCV system? It was completely clogged on the throttle body. Car ran great despite having a rotten PCV hose that was broken in 3 places, in other words completely non functioning and the clogged TB to PCV hose. Was the computer just compensating for all this? Is there anything to look out for during reassembly?

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by Stingerrray; 08-25-2015 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:20 AM
Teching In

Default Heres A Pic of TB

This is after I cleaned TB. The port and the hose fitting were completely clogged.

Thanks,
Rob
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Throttle Body / PCV Hose Combo Question-rsz_p1070044.jpg   LS1 Throttle Body / PCV Hose Combo Question-rsz_p1070045.jpg   LS1 Throttle Body / PCV Hose Combo Question-rsz_p1070046.jpg  
Old 08-25-2015, 04:48 AM
Teching In

Default Did see that hose was a vent hose for PCV

However if it is a vent hose with fresh air coming from front of Throttle body. Why would it plug up so bad???

Rob
Old 08-25-2015, 05:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Was it plugged on the valve cover side only or on the TB side as well?
Old 08-25-2015, 05:53 AM
Teching In

Default Just on the Throttle Body Side

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Was it plugged on the valve cover side only or on the TB side as well?
Just the throttle body side. The pcv hose itself was toast. Also the rubber gasket connecting the air filter housing was folded over. Do you think that could have let enough debri in there to clog up that port? It looked like oil.

Rob
Old 08-25-2015, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Possible but hard to say. I used to have a similar issue with that hose getting saturated with oil, and realized I recently starting consuming oil (about 1 quart every 1000 miles) and took that hose off and capped the ends on the passenger side valve cover and TB, and instead ran a hose from the drivers side TB to the PCV valve, and that stopped the oil issue. I'm running a breather as well. How much oil do you go through?
Old 08-26-2015, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Default Looking at Intake and see another problem

Not to sure of oil consumption. Just got car several weeks ago. The car is bone stock and well taken care of. Between the Throttle Body and intake the gasket was blown through as well. I'm not sure but could it have been the janky leak between the TB and filter housing. Unfiltered air was def getting through. I guess ill replace the gasket between the TB and Filter housing as well. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rob
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Throttle Body / PCV Hose Combo Question-p1070047.jpg   LS1 Throttle Body / PCV Hose Combo Question-p1070053.jpg  

Last edited by Stingerrray; 08-26-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:05 AM
Teching In

Default Got it all back together.

It ended up being super simple to finish this. I removed Intake. Replaced rotted PCV hose with updated Factory PCV Hose setup. Put a new Map sensor and Camshaft Sensor O-ring. Replaced the OPSU Sensor as all through the forums you guys stated it would break due to age when i removed intake. Which it did. Replaced all the Gaskets. Buttoned her all up. Changed oil over to Mobile 1 and went with the ACDelco filter. This was easy with all the help I got from here. The searching was the hardest part. Thanks for all the great info. Catch can is in the very near future. Dealing with some suspension problems now.

Again Thanks,
Rob

Quick Reply: LS1 Throttle Body / PCV Hose Combo Question