Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with 2002 Camaro Z28 6 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with 2002 Camaro Z28 6 Speed

Hello everyone. I currently own a 2002 z28 Camaro 6 speed with around 75,000 miles. Only real mods are long tube headers, texas speed catted y-pipe, and street tune.

I am looking to move across the country in the coming weeks which would be around a 2,500 mile drive. I am selling just about everything and planning on driving the Camaro across the country. I don't think I will be able to sell my harborfreight tool chest thats filled with tools, and my standup air compressor along with various air tools. I had an idea thrown at me to get a hitch installed on the camaro and rent a small uhaul trailer. My friend already moved out but left his 2015 CBR 600RR behind but we were kicking around the idea of getting that on a trailer too. We are probably talking 550LBS all together in the trailer across the country. I would have the trailer hitch removed immediately when I get there. Is this a sound idea, or out of the question? The only other option I have is to trade in my Camaro towards a truck but then I am strapped to a truck payment. I would hate to sell my Camaro but I also do want a truck too.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

I'm going to guess that a tool chest, tools, vertical air compressor and a rocket weigh a bit more than 550 pounds. Then you have to add in the weight of the trailer.

Wet weight on the bike is ball parking 435 pounds. A small 21 gallon air compressor is right at 100 pounds. Then you have to add in your tool chest and tools, which is an unknown because of size and how many tools. My tool chest and tools weigh over 5k. . . . and a small 4*8 trailer weights 250 pounds before sides and flooring are added on. so you have 785 pounds plus tools and tool box and the trailer add-ons of the 1000 pound capacity.

If I were you I'd rent a small uhaul truck and trailer load all the stuff in the truck and the car on the trailer and ride off into the sunset.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 67Lark
I'm going to guess that a tool chest, tools, vertical air compressor and a rocket weigh a bit more than 550 pounds. Then you have to add in the weight of the trailer.

Wet weight on the bike is ball parking 435 pounds. A small 21 gallon air compressor is right at 100 pounds. Then you have to add in your tool chest and tools, which is an unknown because of size and how many tools. My tool chest and tools weigh over 5k. . . . and a small 4*8 trailer weights 250 pounds before sides and flooring are added on. so you have 785 pounds plus tools and tool box and the trailer add-ons of the 1000 pound capacity.

If I were you I'd rent a small uhaul truck and trailer load all the stuff in the truck and the car on the trailer and ride off into the sunset.
Small uhaul truck and trailer appears to be around $3,000 across the country and that doesn't include fuel. That would be more than what my tools and **** are worth. If its really too much, my two options would be to either sell the camaro for a truck or sell all my **** and start fresh.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

If your box and tools don't weigh much get a small trailer and haul your compressor and tools and make your buddy fly back and get his own bike. That's a huge chunk of weight you wouldn't have to worry about.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

you're moving from where to where ?
Old 07-12-2016, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
you're moving from where to where ?
Pennsylvania to Seattle Washington
Old 07-12-2016, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

What's more important to you, Your car and tools or your buddy's bike?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

I am thinking keep the camaro, buy a truck to get across the country and toe my camaro behind it. Maybe use the truck for a bit to get settled in and then sell it shortly after?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:41 PM

Take the tools out of your box and just sell the box. Pack the tools in the car and tell your buddy to figure out what he's going to do with his own bike. Problem solved.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Marshy
Take the tools out of your box and just sell the box. Pack the tools in the car and tell your buddy to figure out what he's going to do with his own bike. Problem solved.
What about the air compressor? That was a $400 compressor.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

So hitch the camaro, buy a $250 trailer and haul the tools and compressor and tell your buddy to get bent
Old 07-14-2016, 07:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

to OP,what is the concern about in your original post ?
I travel a lot in my 98Z A4. Hatch area is full/weighted,full size spare,floor jack,OEM spare & jack,tools(many to accomplish whatever is needed on trips),spare parts,fluids-pan-funnel,back seat full of clothes & personal stuff. Easily hundreds of pounds over the rear end. I use rear coil spring spacers to level the car. The 'mountainous' areas I travel thru from Ohio to Florida are the Appalachians.
A 02 M6 should be able to handle towing a 'balanced' trailer. I would assume your hatch and back seat would be full too. Your MPG would be down and if 'engine loading' is of concern,you've always have 5th and 4th to kick down to to lessen engine loading.
There have been a few times I considered using a trailer to take my bike(FZ6),but it was never the weight that caused me not to do it,because I enjoy driving my Z down in Florida.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any easy way to stiffen up the rear is add air bags to inside the springs. The just puff out to tighten up the springs. I got mine through Stranos for about $60.

Quick Reply: Towing with 2002 Camaro Z28 6 Speed