Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb Question - Cam with stock stall

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dumb Question - Cam with stock stall

How driveable would my car be with stock stall and a decent sized cam?

I have a yank ss3600 stall ordered but due to being built to order I'm still waiting on it.

My car is basically stock but this weekend I have access to a lift and a few friends are helping me do anything we can get done (I'm going on 2 months with a bad foot injury that has kept me from doing jack ****).

Currently the plan is to install my headers, y-pipe, catback, 3.73's, lid, intake, air/egr deletes, o2 extensions, wideband, trans temp, trans cooler, and then some general maintenance stuff. If I order the cam today I could have it Saturday since my friends are urging me to go ahead and do it while we're all free and have access to the lift and have so much apart.

Thing is I probably still have a week or two until the yank gets here. Would it be halfway driveable with the cam (more specifically I'm planning on the torquer v2) without the stall for a bit? I'm not talking WOT/racing it. Just taking it out to the meets a couple nights and potentially driving it 30 miles to work a couple times. If not - as long as it'd be okay driving home to await the stall I'd be happy with that.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So you will be doing all the bolt ons with a cam and tune, but the stall will be put in a few weeks later?
Old 08-24-2016, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
So you will be doing all the bolt ons with a cam and tune, but the stall will be put in a few weeks later?
exactly.
I'm tuning it myself via hptuners so I'll just tune it as I go. Hell I'd like to think the stall will make it here next week so I could get it done potentially the following weekend.

Just wanting to make use of the lift as much as possible since it's hard to find much free time to use it like this without cost. + having a few friends all offering to help at once is motivating me a bit since I have another month or two before I'm healed enough that I'll be mobile enough to do indepth work with the trans or a cam job for example.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will most likely try to push through the brakes. Sort of like trying to stop when keeping a manual car in gear. Not quite so violent but similar.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 08-24-2016, 01:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

You mentioned having HP tuners, you'll need that to make it driveable as the stock A4 idle speed will be too low to reasonably operate the car using that cam without an idle speed bump (you could two-foot it, but that's not reasonable for anything more than getting the car home IMO.)

The biggest issue with the stock stall and basic driveability will be this:

Originally Posted by Sales2@Texas-speed
It will most likely try to push through the brakes.
The higher idle speed + tight stock stall will cause this issue, and the idle characteristics of the cam will exaggerate it further. That's one of the many areas where a higher stall speed will help.

Of coruse, there will be many other tuning concerns as well. But with your own tuning suite you can tune and retune as needed.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You mentioned having HP tuners, you'll need that to make it driveable as the stock A4 idle speed will be too low to reasonably operate the car using that cam without an idle speed bump (you could two-foot it, but that's not reasonable for anything more than getting the car home IMO.)

The biggest issue with the stock stall and basic driveability will be this:

The higher idle speed + tight stock stall will cause this issue, and the idle characteristics of the cam will exaggerate it further. That's one of the many areas where a higher stall speed will help.

Of coruse, there will be many other tuning concerns as well. But with your own tuning suite you can tune and retune as needed.
Gotcha. Thank you all for the responses.

It's a friend's hptuners but I figure I should be able to figure it out. I've tuned my DSM's for years via ecmlink and have tuned hondata s300. Friend is lending me his tunerschool CD's/books for hptuners so I can learn myself up on it a bit. Will still get a dyno tune but probably not until next spring when I plan to have some ported 243's, a built trans, bigger fuel system, and spray.

Sounds like its reasonable that I'll be able to tune it well enough on the stock stall to put around town a bit for as long as it takes for the stall to be on my doorstep. Either way it should have the stall within the next week or two
Old 08-25-2016, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

well this was a false alarm lol, my stall shipped today - and its showing it'll be here Saturday. Perfect timing!
Old 08-26-2016, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by El-Ess-Won
Gotcha. Thank you all for the responses.

It's a friend's hptuners but I figure I should be able to figure it out. I've tuned my DSM's for years via ecmlink and have tuned hondata s300. Friend is lending me his tunerschool CD's/books for hptuners so I can learn myself up on it a bit. Will still get a dyno tune but probably not until next spring when I plan to have some ported 243's, a built trans, bigger fuel system, and spray.

Sounds like its reasonable that I'll be able to tune it well enough on the stock stall to put around town a bit for as long as it takes for the stall to be on my doorstep. Either way it should have the stall within the next week or two
You are tuning a bigger (by a lot) engine with the same knowledge of basic mechanics that you used to make some peanut sized DSM motors work. The tuning software always has a type specific learning curve, but fuel and air tend to stay the same. Don't overthink this.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by El-Ess-Won
well this was a false alarm lol, my stall shipped today - and its showing it'll be here Saturday. Perfect timing!
good deal. i was going to suggest to have everything done at once.

Quick Reply: Dumb Question - Cam with stock stall