New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what cam to run in my lq4 build.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what cam to run in my lq4 build.

Alright guys well im new to owning ls engines although i have known a good amount about them. as of now im swapping in a lq4 into my single cab stebside bed v6..

i purchased a lq4 for $500 tore apart for inspection and replaced main bearings, rod bearings, re ringed and i honed the cyl walls for cross hatching. im pretty lenient about this kinda stuff. now im down to deciding what cam i wanna run. i been really looking into 228/228 .600/.600 tsp cam. sounds and performs good for the street. also throwing in dual springs. i got a ahold of a ls6 manifold im gonna install. already bought the idler relocate bracket and spacer to run a vette or camaro water pump.

anyways what cam can i run that will top out my ls6 manifold.? and whats the biggest cam that these engine can take with dished pistons.?

thank you guys, appreciate it.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ms3 is what I'm going to run with my full bolt on lq9.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:14 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Vehicle weight, converter stall, idle quality, tuning capability, driveability, all play a factor in what cam to choose.

You can get a massive cam to fit easily.
It won't idle below 1100, have zero part throttle cruising torque, cause the truck to stall and die in gear with a stock converter, only make top-end power (actually making the truck slower), top out stock injectors (causing it to go lean), etc. Saying you want the biggest cam that fits is an extremely foolish thing to say.

Btw, truck intakes make more torque AND power than the car intakes, so you likely wasted a bunch of money getting the LS6 intake and the parts to run it. Car intakes were designed with hood clearance in mind. You don't have that issue.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Vehicle weight, converter stall, idle quality, tuning capability, driveability, all play a factor in what cam to choose.

It won't idle below 1100, have zero part throttle cruising torque, cause the truck to stall and die in gear with a stock converter, only make top-end power (actually making the truck slower), top out stock injectors (causing it to go lean), etc. Saying you want the biggest cam that fits is an extremely foolish thing to say.

Btw, truck intakes make more torque AND power than the car intakes, so you likely wasted a bunch of money getting the LS6 intake and the parts to run it. Car intakes were designed with hood clearance in mind. You don't have that issue.
excellent post. good info.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Forgot to mention I have a 2800 stall. The ls6 manifold was $75, already have ls1 fuel rails with injectors from previous build...

So back to cams. What's a decent street cam I can run then, cause I never asked what's the biggest cam I can put on (not going to just curious). I asked what's a good cam that you can use with a ls6 manifold.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

perhaps look into a custom cam.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What heads do you have? If 317's it will be down on compression and you may be disappointed. I'd contact BTR, Martin, etc and tell them what you have and your goals. Sometimes a "small" cam will best suit your needs (212/218 for example).
Old 09-22-2016, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
What heads do you have? If 317's it will be down on compression and you may be disappointed. I'd contact BTR, Martin, etc and tell them what you have and your goals. Sometimes a "small" cam will best suit your needs (212/218 for example).
I planned on polisting my 317s a bit to get rid of the imperfections in the runners.. and talked to a shop about milling my heads maybe .020 nothing crazy to where I need different pushrods, intake manifold fitment problems and etc.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:53 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by astat4
I never asked what's the biggest cam I can put on
Originally Posted by astat4
whats the biggest cam that these engine can take
O RLY?

You can sell the LS6 intake with rails and injectors for $475. That will cover a complete TBSS intake/rails/injectors and ebay TB combo with probably $100 or more left over. The TBSS intake will pick up power/torque from idle to the limiter over an LS6.

Also, you would have to mill about .080" ( or more) per head before you would have noticeable issues getting the intake to bolt up.

Vehicle weight still plays a big factor in cam selection. 6000 LB truck and a cam designed to make power above 5000 RPM is going to be laughably slow.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:57 PM
Teching In

O RLY?

You can sell the LS6 intake with rails and injectors for $475. That will cover a complete TBSS intake/rails/injectors and ebay TB combo with probably $100 or more left over. The TBSS intake will pick up power/torque from idle to the limiter over an LS6.

Also, you would have to mill about .080" ( or more) per head before you would have noticeable issues getting the intake to bolt up.

Vehicle weight still plays a big factor in cam selection. 6000 LB truck and a cam designed to make power above 5000 RPM is going to be laughably slow.
I mean it's a 2000 Silverado single cab with a stepside bed. So it's not the heaviest thing ever.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:11 PM
Restricted User

Want something that sounds decent and makes tons of torque? Look for something on a 112 (or smaller) LSA to help bring torque on fast. LSA also helps determine cam overlap which will play a factor in the way it lopes.

Anything with a 23x duration on the intake is going to be a bit too big for your average 4500+ lb truck. I would stick with something in the 212-226 range on the intake/exhaust.

Something like this would sound good and perform decent in your truck and work with stock valvetrain. Its oriented more for all-around performance. Great HP gains without sacrificing any torque. Mild cam for a 6.0.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...make/chevrolet
Old 09-29-2016, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Martin smallwood is cutting my cam for me.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm having EPS build me a cam..

Quick Reply: what cam to run in my lq4 build.