Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eforce or heads intake and cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eforce or heads intake and cam

I have a stock 5.7 ls1 except for headers and a flowmaster exhaust in a a 64 impala wagon I've been offered a used e-force supercharger kit around half the price of new i was wondering what my gains would be bolting it on the stock motor.
or would it be better to go for a set of ported heads, cam and inlet and keep it naturally aspirated?

Last edited by ziplegs; 12-07-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Eforce=no force

Theres a reason you never really see anyone run it here
Old 12-08-2016, 05:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The reason people don't run the Eforce is because their are "better" designs out there that may make more power or make it easier to install and run in a specific car. It doesn't mean the Edelbrock sucks.

Is the blower coming off of a vehicle with the same Front Accesory Drive as the setup in your car? If not, it may involve a bit more effort to get it to work. If you think it's a fairly simple bolt-on affair then I'd go with the blower.

You can make 500 RWHP with 8 lbs of boost and the torque should be around 500 ft/lbs too. I believe the Edelbrock is based on the Eaton TVS 2300 which has proven itself on many Gen V Camaro, new 5.0 Mustangs, Challengers, and 'Vettes. The only issue that I've seen with the Edelbrock is the supplied fuel rail setup and people simply used rails and lines of their own choosing.

I'd do the blower. You can always add a blower cam later if you want sound and you can add meth and more boost if you want more power.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^ I agree. The e-force kit uses an Eaton TVS 2300 blower (same unit in the C6 ZR1). I think they are not seen as much, not because suck, but because there are better design kits for the money. An LS1 e-force kit new is around $6500. For that amount of cash, there's simply better forced induction options.

To answer your question OP, for about half the cost of new I'd go with the supercharger here for sure.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Of course it will make power, but the reason for my post was to basically state what the two of you said. There are better options with better ability to upgrade. OP may slap it on and realize he wants more, boost is addictive trust me I know.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The OP didn't state the price, if it's $3,500 or less and a bolt on affair it's worth the price. If he got a Procharger (I have a D1SC setup sitting in my garage) he'd most likely have to fab pipe from the blower to the FMIC, metal to hang the FMIC, and piping from FMIC to TB. After that he's okay if he found a blower in his price range with the correct J bracket and pullies.

If the E-force that he's looking at is meant for a car with the same heads (probably cathedral) and FEAD then he's probably going to be okay to buy and run it.

We agree that the Edelbrock doesn't suck. Given that the OP wants more power and has this blower available he may not find a Vortech, Procharger, Paxton, KB, Whipple, Maggie, or Turbo setup for the same price or one that is close to working on the LS1 in his Impala wagon.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The biggest trouble I had with my E-Force was the tune they sent was TOOOOO lean, Mike Norris tuned it and it made 65 more hp than the tune they sent....FWIW
Old 12-09-2016, 06:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by usnfenix
Of course it will make power, but the reason for my post was to basically state what the two of you said. There are better options with better ability to upgrade. OP may slap it on and realize he wants more, boost is addictive trust me I know.
Right, it may be an excellent option and deal for the price. But regardless of better superchargers out there, between the two options the OP stated the blower route will likely give him much more bang for the buck.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Ive never seen a stock LS1 last over about 8 psi. Me personally id prefer the simplicity of NA heads/cam power. Overall results will be similar, I'm assuming for you cost will be similar as well. If that's the case, id chose the most reliable, which to me is NA power.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

For an lsx build I am partial to NA. Other platforms I was more comfortable with boost and ran it well. IMO the lsx engines perform well in NA builds and is what the engine is more designed for
Old 12-09-2016, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Ive never seen a stock LS1 last over about 8 psi. Me personally id prefer the simplicity of NA heads/cam power. Overall results will be similar, I'm assuming for you cost will be similar as well. If that's the case, id chose the most reliable, which to me is NA power.
8psi is no problem with any decent tune. As far as similar results, that is only true if you look at peak HP numbers and nothing else. At the same peak HP level, a PD blower makes much more power under the curve than an NA setup. The main downside is front end weight and transmission issues.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
8psi is no problem with any decent tune. As far as similar results, that is only true if you look at peak HP numbers and nothing else. At the same peak HP level, a PD blower makes much more power under the curve than an NA setup. The main downside is front end weight and transmission issues.
Its a complex argument that can be examined many different ways. But I see no true advantage either way, other then complexity. I just about havent popped a valve cover on my car in the last 3-5 years on an NA heads cam setup, and all issues have been minor, never worrying about taking out a stock shortblock, which with boost would always be in the back of my mind.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Its a complex argument that can be examined many different ways. But I see no true advantage either way, other then complexity. I just about havent popped a valve cover on my car in the last 3-5 years on an NA heads cam setup, and all issues have been minor, never worrying about taking out a stock shortblock, which with boost would always be in the back of my mind.
From a complexity standpoint, obviously boost has more parts, but reliability at any given HP level will be better with forced induction. The only reason you think about boost related reliability is related to the ease of cranking up the power. People "especially on high performance forums" push the limits of everything, leading to inevitable failures of whatever part is weakest. A 600 HP NA ls1 would be a magic unicorn, whereas the same power from FI will last far longer than the disinterested yawns it inspires.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

The torque curve the E-Force will provide is just what a heavy car needs on the street and you won't have to turn a bunch of RPMs to get it.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:46 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

What are you talking about? Don't last over 8 PSI? I had to double check and make sure your post was from 2016 and not 2006 lol.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Go with H/C... what's your friend want for the blower setup?

Quick Reply: Eforce or heads intake and cam