New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Converter worth getting if you don't drag race?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Is Converter worth getting if you don't drag race?

I've read alot of posts were people recommend stall coverters as one of the top mods for an A4 car (I got the 3.23 gears). I don't plan on racing my car because I can't afford to fix my rear end if it goes, so is there any other benefit to getting a converter if you don't race? If not I'll pry save my money and get a set of headers. My only mods are a lid and GMMG.

Thanks for the help....I'm a neewb.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't imagine not having a converter in a street car. The car is a whole different animal. I think its hands down one of the best mods for an A4, street or race. Just pick a converter that is more taylored for an everyday driver (like around a 3500 stall with a 2.0-2.2 STR)

FWIW: You shouldn't have to worry about the rear on the street. I've been spraying the hell ou tof mine and it's just fine.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get the converter 2800-3400 if you aren't into drag racing or the track. If you are on street tires you won't break the rearend. You just won't be able to hook up enough to cause it to give out on you.

What causes it to break are hard launches on drag radials or slicks. If you do those then it's only going to last so long. If you don't do that it'll be fine and plus you'll love the power an aftermarket converter will provide for you.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A good street (or street/strip) converter makes
a big difference. So does shift programming. Put
'em together and the A4 drives like a sports
monster, only without the manual labor.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was int he same boat as you were. dont drag race, and owuld like to keep the rear in one piece. i ended up goin with a converter bcuz i felt that i dont beat on my car very much and would like to know i can kik sum *** if i have to. i can only tell you that getting a stall for your car will be the best money you ever spent. i was so dam happy that i did it. i usually hesitate about geting things for my car, but i consider myself to be very mild mannered when im on the street. just get it and then put up a post how you should have gotten it done a long time ago!

J