Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK tb problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBK tb problems

I just installed my 80mm BBK tb the other night and I am having trouble with the car stalling when i come to a stop and put it in park. It is totally random and without warning. It only does it when I am coming home ironiclly. The only reasons i can think of are 1.) plugs 2.) the throttle cable bracket that comes with the tb puts the kick down cable a little farther forward. I dont know why. Anyone have a problem similar to this? Aside from that the car has much better throttle response now, but seems like it falls on its face after the initial burst and therafter ( if that makes any sense). Is it possible that my stock exhaust is too restrictive for my increased air intake? BTW i have autolite spark plugs, just did them about 3 weeks ago, had car for about a month.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you buy the BBk new or used? Only ask because I bought mine used (now re-sold) and it didn't some with the paper gasket or the 1/2" spacer plate that is needed....
Old 07-22-2004, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

i bought it new from jegs $329 i believe.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe try adjusting the idle screw (if you haven't already) to take car of the stalling problem. Not sure about the rest though.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

Well i looked over he directions again and i misread something. I put on the wrong throttle cable bracket. In hopes that correcting that would help, it didnt. In fact it seems like my car is even slower now b/c i had to lengthen the throttle cables with this extension that you screw into the intake manifold and then put the stock bracket back on top of that. Could i just need a tune? Am i getting too much air? this is supposed to be an easy bolt on part, and I only have one other mod, which is the lid. Stock my car felt stronger than it does now, after 3 mods.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:25 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that's why you don't buy a BBK throttle body. You could have got a ported one from Jantzer for half the price and noticed an improvment.

Research my friend. That's what we're here for!
Old 07-22-2004, 02:15 AM
Staging Lane

yeah well*kicking self*, I wasn't thinking. I read on LS1.com that some people have had issues with these tb's and A4's. Same sort of deal as the ported MAF. too much air causes a stall and bad shifts, which is roughly what i am seeing. I suppose a tune would fix this, but those ******** at BBK should specify that when buying thier **** if this is the case.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

there is no way in the world that if the TB is hooked up correctly, that you are getting enough air to cause it to stall.

get a digital pic of how it's set up so we can see exactly how it is put on.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Never had a problem out of mine. Kind of a waste of money though..