Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

I'm looking for advice or info. I have a stock '00 Z28 vert, (just got it about a month ago). The first thing I wanna do is let it breathe. I would prefer some headers, dual cats xpipe with dual mufflers straight out. Anyone have a similiar setup? What are some different opinions on headers as far as shorty's vs longtube? Per the US gov. I can't have the cats taken out and most muffler guys won't touch them so I am a great welder so can i do all this myself? And what are some of y'all's opinions on different brand mufflers? I'm leaning toward magnaflow for the straight thru design and borla is way out of my price range.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:52 AM
12 Second Club

LONGTUBES or mac's no shorter...get carsounds or random tech cats...not sure what X-pipe mayb a cusotm betn one will do it....whats very popular are the Dynomax Bullet 18" mufflers...or Borla XR1 roudn mufflers.....if your looking for loud and screaming go Flowmaster 1 or 2 chamber....

Kooks or QTP LT's are stainless steel best quality and very great flow...expensive however
Pacesetters are the cheapest...flow good...and well are very populay....jsut my 2 cents
Old 08-01-2004, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As per the federal goverment you cannot have long nor mid lengths. They both relocate the cats from their stock location thus changing the heat up time and efficiency of them. Now that is clear, if you are going to do either do the long tubes. Can't argue with the QTP' or Kooks above but if you want stainless I advise to get them coated too in order to prevent discolorization. They will turn gold on you eventually. As for muffler, the GMMG is the best sounding thing going bar none. If you don't want to spend the money for it make your own chambered system.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:14 AM
12 Second Club

well it is legal to replace your stock cats....if they have a poble...so i would think you can just F*ck em up and get LT's yeha they arent Smog Legal...well Hooker LT's and Edlebrock LT's are form what ive been told byy frens...and Edlebrocks are for sure...most polaces just need cats...and they plug you in if your SES lights on you fail if its off yoll then liklely pass! here in IL they do an OBDII scan for codes

if your looking into true duals just go for them...you wont regret it
GMMG is the best bar none...but ture duals will prolyl be cheaper...and well they are mayb morde likely to give you the old classic muscle car osund...nice NICE loping tone form the camshaft
Old 08-01-2004, 02:02 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sig
Old 08-01-2004, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is legal to replace the stock cats if 1) they malfunction or 2) have over 50k miles. Only then can you replace them with like type in the stock location. Just having cats and LTs do not make you legal. If they do a visual inspection and know how our cars came equipped then your screwed. Chances are they will not know and see a cat and pass you. Just because you have an SES light on does not automatically fail you. It depends on what set it off. If its emissions related then yes you fail. Our cars do an OBDII inspection first which if the computer reads fine to them then you'll pass. IF they get suspect readings from the computer then you get a tail pipe sniff. After that its either pass/fail.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:33 AM

Kooks Stainless Steel Long tube headers, Magnaflow (Crasound) Cats.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

02WS6Bird, would you mind trying to spell correctly from time to time, or maybe use punctuation? I know people who were educated on the back of a John Deer trailer their entire life who speak better english. No offense, but after reading a few dozen posts of yours the past few days its really gotten unbearable.