Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked the Camaro tonight

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 01:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wrecked the Camaro tonight

Me and my friend decided to race from a role of about 20 since both of us just put headers. The temp was like 50 out and i had a lot of more power than usual plus my tires didnt hook at all. I punched it and when it shifted down to 2nd i started getting sideways and it just got bad from there on. I hit a sign messed up my hood , front bumper , and cracked my fender on one side and moved the other out of line. I just cant believe i could get control of it

Im so mad right now i just had to share.

Any idea of which is cheaper to try and find new parts or to fix the ones i have?
Old 08-14-2004, 01:54 AM
On The Tree

Unhappy

sorry to hear that, how many miles does your car have?, and do you think that insurance would cover anything, i know it would make the insurance rate go up but it could help with fixing the car
Old 08-14-2004, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

im sorry to hear about ur car but at least you and your friend weren't hurt at all. im NOT going to lecture you about street racing because i do it myself and im not going to be hypocritical. i know the risk and im sure you did too. in any case, don't worry the car can be brought back to life.

i wouldnt bother trying to fix cracked body panels. most of your car is fiberglass and body-filling cracked fiberglass usually won't be too sturdy. more than likely the body shop will just use new panels. if you only hit a sign, you probably didnt cause enough damage to actually bend the uni-body or shift any of the running gear so more than likely the damage is only cosmetic.

look at the bright side, you're going to have to paint the front of the car anyway, so now's your chance to add some flames or a new hood or something. good luck....
Old 08-14-2004, 02:00 AM
NKAWTG...N

well put deepbluez! he's an optmist! get some bad *** stripes or flames now since you gotta repaint it anyway. Hopefully there will be no chasis damage or anything major, a new front end, hood, and side panels are alot cheaper compared to a new car. and you can get an ultra z hood now too
Old 08-14-2004, 02:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Don't report it to your insurance company. You'll pay in the end. Just take it to a good body shop, it should cost to much. You should make a posting on this board to find a body shop in your area.

Good Luck.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:21 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yet another in a long list of reasons why you should TAKE IT TO THE TRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badjuju342
yet another in a long list of reasons why you should TAKE IT TO THE TRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
While I agree w/ you completely (I really do), the devils advocate inside of me wants to say that hitting the wall at the track would be worse than hitting the sign on the road-side.
Again though...... You are 110% right, and we all take risk's out there we don't have to. It just sucks when they don't pay out.
Good luck fixing your car man. That really blows. But DeepBlue was right, you're both okay, and that's what counts. And hey, you know your mods are taking well when the extra power surprises you enough to kick your *** off the road. How's that for a silver lineing? Fix her up right.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:02 AM
TECH Junkie

I know you're pissed, but take this opportunity to get a new hood, and if you've ever wanted a body kit, now is the time to get it, since some parts would replace the broken ones.

-Mike
Old 08-14-2004, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks, reading this really does make me feel better. I know it could have been worse at first i was headed toward a colum under a bridge and got it going the other way. I do know the dangers street racing; however the only danger i believe it that there wasnt imediate help. We take all of our racing raods that have no other cars. I am really glad i didnt hit the wall at the track i would be screwed i know this can be fixed i just dont have the money at this point and this takes away from or slows down new mods . Again i appreciate the comments.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear this, and I'm also not going to jump all over you and tell everyone else that street racing is wrong....etc. We all do it, even I.....just some of us has more ***** to fess up to it. Glad to hear you didnt get hurt also, it could have been worse. Now is the time you need to look at the what you want to do to your car as far as modifications. In my opnion i would say to turn it in the insurance, even though it would cost you more each month, you could shop around an maybe end up finding a cheaper rate. The only reason i say to turn it in is because you said you are a little low on cash and if you get a check from the insurance to get it fixed, you could take the cash and look aound for cheaper parts and maybe a few mods....if you could do this all your self
Old 08-14-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your M/T ET streets didn't hook at all?????
Old 08-14-2004, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

only if i had had them on. everything would be ok. i didnt put them on and we only wanted to see how it helped our top end so we decided to go from a roll. im still not sure what we were thinking going from a 20. I also shouldnt have left if shift down by itself. I made my tires that were already spinning horrible spin much worse and things got bad from there. I also tried to fight it for a minute and should have just let off as soon as it broke loose that bad.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

He was on his street tires.
Since I had my street tires on we thought it would be fun to play around a little bit.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

Hey T/a 02,
you still on? I have pics up on my site. It was kinda dark last night.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/619939/7

Any body shop guys out there know about how much this looks like. Considering i took out the sign and it went like 30 yards i think the car took it well. I cant believe the air bags didnt deploy.

Last edited by Tiger2o69; 08-14-2004 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck to ya man, but it doesnt look too bad IMO. Just looks like it needs a lil paint.

Good luck to ya again.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah hopfully it wont cost a lot but its still upsetting you know. In the pics you cant see the impact really good either. it shifted the bumper and fenders back about an inch. I dont know why but my door doesnt shut flush on the drivers side.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

The front end is tougher than i thought, that doesnt look as bad as i had expected. ---glad your ok. I nearly did the same thing last night, i hit it going about 28 they broke loose then the 1-2 shift threw me sideways with my buddies car beside me. It scared the crap out of me, I can only immagine how you felt.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Good luck with you car man, I hope you can get fixed as good as new. Try using some duck tape and a hammer it's all the rage with the ricers.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

the #1 sticky should be

LEARN TO COUNTERSTEER BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DRIVE THESE CARS
Old 08-15-2004, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate to admit it..but basically the same thing happened to me..

Check your diff..Is it nearly toast?
I knew I was getting bad when I ended up doing a one-legged burnout at the track..It only happened once, but I knew things were ready to go..

Since then, I've replaced the crappy stock torsen diff(98 formula) with an Auburn Pro, gears and TA cover. Downshifts scream, and the car stays on target.. (As long as you started straight.. )

If the shifts are throwing you off, you may want to look into your diff...

Good luck on the repairs! Its seems only cosmetic.