Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with building street car

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help with building street car

i looking for some help on building a nice streetable car but still have power, i have a problems to start i bought the car used and some of my friends think it is cammed and geared how do i find this out? i already started modding i have lid,bellow, ftra, lm, hurst billet with lous short stick, sfc,adj control arm and brackets bolt in (debating on puttin my weld in ones on) adj phr, 3 point stb, and global west lowering springs. (not in stalled) what should i do next im kinda stuck and im strapped for cash? im thinkin maybe some motor work and may be tru duals but i already only get less than 200 miles per tank so i dont want to go crazy. any help would be apprciated.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How to tell if you already have a cam and gears?

Gears: Lift only one rear wheel off the ground. Put a chalk mark on the driveshaft. Put the car in neutral and turn the rear wheel 2 turns. Count the number of times the driveshaft turns and this is your ratio. The reason you turn the rear tire 2 turns is that the summing differential needs to see 2 turns: 1 from each wheel, or 2 from just one wheel. To get a little more resolution, turn the one wheel 4 times and divide the driveshaft turns by 2. Or turn it 8 times and divide by 4, etc.

Cam: This one is a little harder. Pull the valve cover and put a dial indicator on one of the rockers at the valve. Turn the engine over by hand and measure how much the valve opens. The lift at the valve will be around .5" for a stock cam, where most aftermarket cams are .550" to .600" of lift.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

is it an A4 OR M6?

Whats ur budget?

Old 08-17-2004, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

m6 got some money just not enough for a 7.0l like i want and a 12 bolt can do like some more bolt ons
Old 08-17-2004, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by glennhl
How to tell if you already have a cam and gears?

Gears: Lift only one rear wheel off the groun.......... (cont.)

Cam: This one is a little harder. Pull the valve cover and..........(cont.)

Excellant info!! I've been wondering about the gearing thing forever now. I knew to lift the car, and turn the tire, and I knew to count..... lol problem was, I didn't know what the hell I was supposed to be counting. Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No problem. The rear end ratio is something we found out the hard way. The summing diff messes everything up. We used to have two guys turn each rear wheel one turn. Then we noticed with the driveshaft stationary when we turned one wheel the other went the other direction. Again, the summing diff was trying to keep the sum at zero because the driveshaft was not turning, therefore one wheel goes +1 revolution and the other goes -1 revolution. A little confusing, but not once you understand what's going on.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:16 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

You could fly by one of those radar things that tells you how fast you are going, then you could punch those numbers into a gear ratio calculator.

That's how I found out I had 3.73's. I noticed I was doing 80 mph @ 2000 rpm while my friends car was doing 90 @ 2000 rpm and I got curious.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

t t t