New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some last advice (exhaust system)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question some last advice (exhaust system)

Before I do just go ahead and get the flowmaster exhaust system for my 01 z28....

Can anybody else tell me what they think of it?

Ive been told it is BARELY better than stock as far as flow goes, and not worth the money since it is only a pinch better. Ive found it online for $360. I like the sound of it too from LS1sounds.com

Ive also been told to just takeout the catalytic converters, and get two dynomax mufflers, that go straight through which makes better flow..But ive got dual outlet..of course.

Any other exhaust system suggestions instead?
Old 08-27-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

DO NOT GO WITH THE SLOWMASTER!!! It is the worst flowing exhaust for an LS1. If you are looking for a good price, go with the TSP Rumbler. Its like a loudmouth for around $225 without tips, much better flow and in my personal opinion much better sound.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you going to do headers? If you are, save your money and buy it all at once. Get a true dual set up for around $450-500 i think, and get a set of LT's.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Okay thanks for the replies, what is a set of LT's?

Yeah, I don't think I will be going with the flowmaster, everyone seems to not like it lol....Its either no its a slow master or no its a flowblocker...lol so I won't go with that.

Oh yeah, I don't think I am going to do headers....Do I have to?

I want a low toned sound from the car, and nothing overbearingly loud. And definitly not something that will rasp...

Can I get the TSP rumbler with tips??...I don't like the stock ones.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by myz28sLS1

Yeah, I don't think I will be going with the flowmaster, everyone seems to not like it lol....Its either no its a slow master or no its a flowblocker...lol so I won't go with that.

I want a low toned sound from the car, and nothing overbearingly loud. And definitly not something that will rasp...

Lt's = Long Tubes as in headers
Also if you don't plan on going with LT's in the future then I would go with the SLP Loudmouth or the TSP Rumbler. Both of them sound the best when you have stock manifolds and cats. But if you do get one of those two and then decide to get LT's it will sound real raspy.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:32 AM
Teching In

http://www.texas-speed.com/item_deta...ProductID=1241

Okay, I found this...Is this going to be everything I need fully, I noticed the other options don't have the mufflers.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

That is the X-pipe and exhaust for LT's (Long Tube Headers). Basically if you chose this system you would just need a set LT;s and you would have a full exhaust, though it will be LOUD, but it will sound good. If you dont want too loud you might want just a catback kit such as TSP rumbler, Magnaflow, or SLP loudmouth, though the TSP and the SLP kits are one of the loudest catback kits with some rasp. Check out www.ls1sounds.com that will help you the most.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myz28sLS1

If your not doing headers for whatever reason, I would consider the GMMG. It's expensive, but it sounds awesome.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Magnaflow and Hooker are other options if you want something a little quiter, especialy with the Hooker. Hooker is also the cheapest set-up you can go with. I have a magnaflow and I would never get any other cat-back for an LS1 if I ever have to get one again. The sound is magnificent.

The true duals will be extremly loud, but will outflow both the magnaflow and the hooker, but don't expect anything huge. With a full exhaust, expect about 20-40 horsespower depending on your tune!

-Todd