Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

someone give me an estimate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default someone give me an estimate?

how long whould it take for a dealer to pull the T-56 from a Camaro and tear it down. Not replace or repair anything but tear it down like it was going to be rebuilt but stopping there. The reason I ask is because the stealership that the car is ar right now is telling me that they have already got 700 - 750 bucks worth of labor tied up by just doing that. I give them 1 hour tops to take it out on the lift and hell, I will be generous and give them 4 hours to disassemble it. Thats 5 hours. Labor is usually 60 bucks an hour maybe a little more, but even at 100 dollars an hour that means they would have had to take 7 hours to do this. I looked at the transmission and its not completely tore apart. The 3-4 section is out of it but large sections of it are still together.

Im gonna go off on somebody when I pick it up. I wanted the car like it was so I could fix it myself but they had already torn it down.

What is wrong is it needs a 3-4 synchro hub and 3-4 blocker rings. The cockholes wanted $480 ust for the synchro hub while I bought the entire synchro assembly from the gear box for 107.95. They wanted 120 bucks just for the 3-4 blocker rings while I got the entire rebuild kit with carbon fiber/kevlar blocker rings, seals and all for 155 bucks

this is a repost from the trans section but it more of a labor dispute im having rather than a tech question about the tranny ... thanks
Old 09-08-2004, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does the dealer have it? WWas this supposed to be a warranty job?

Brad
Old 09-08-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

It doesn't matter how long it actually took them to pull is and disassemble it, they have a "manual" that states how many hours a certian job will take, and they charge based on that.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:47 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

took me a day to remove my tranny the first time out. but with a lift and all the tools they have at there disposal it shouldnt take them long at all.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

well this is just bullshit ....

it is at Mitsubishi dealership

i dont even own the car yet, i should have been driving it 2 weeks ago but it was grinding going into 3rd and 4th so they were supposed to fix it and they have been dragging their asses

im going tomorrow and starting some **** with the service manager

i bought the parts myself and took them down there today myself, so they are supposed to do it tomorrow ... thing is to hear them tell it the labor is gonna be 1000 bucks because he said already 750 with just a teardown and stopping at that ... by the time they put it back together and reinstall the tranny i may be looking at 1000 bucks just for the labor to replace a damn 3-4 synchro ... damn that pisses me off
Old 09-08-2004, 11:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i pulled my tranny on my back with jackstands and removed the console and shifter by myself in a hour. so they are screwin it to ya.
id say that if you know how to raise hell like i do they youll get out of there with a few hours labor, especiall if you never told them to tear it down.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

if you dont own it yet, why are you going to pay to fix it?
Old 09-08-2004, 11:38 PM
TECH Junkie

well, im buying the car at cost because i happen to be very good friends with the guy that OWNS the dealership ... it is a 99 Z28 T-Tops, 6 speed, 80k miles, has a Borla cat back on it that i can tell, and the car seems solid and is in overall good shape .... how does 6100 bucks sound?

since he is letting me have it for what he has in it, then i have to pay any extra that goes into it so he doesnt loose money on it

i bought the parts out of my pocket because if they bought the parts then they would come from GM and they would be high as a camel ****! $$$ which would just add more money to the price of the car for me
Old 09-08-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

So if your friend owns the dealerhsip why don't you just ask him if he can ask his service manager to stop screwing you?
Old 09-09-2004, 05:09 AM
TECH Junkie

thats on the menu today ..... i thought the labor would be free but the service department has to charge the dealership for work it does .... me and him are gonna have a little about the the ludicrous charges