New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have taken my car to a gm goodwrench for a service engine light!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I have taken my car to a gm goodwrench for a service engine light!!

I got a p0430 service engine light code, catalytic defficincy or damaged, on my 2k2 ws6 about 3 weeks ago it went away by itself for a week than came back three days. Today I decided to take ws6 to the nearest GM Goodwrench dealer in the north side of Chicago, since I took your guys advice that all emission related parts have a longer warranty.
I told the representative that i had hooked it up to a OBD2 scanner four times along with getting two other mechanics to tell me that there was a catalytic defficincy. And I made him aware that I should not be liable for that charges, but GM should.
He told me that if it is that it is a BAD Catalytic Converter GM will pay for everything including the estimate. FREE
Here is the catch, He said that if some way or another something else is causing this defficincy or if it is another part that is damaged I am liable to pay $130.00 for the estimate along with the repairs of the Catalytic Converter and everything that is associated with it.

I ended up leaving the car hoping everything will be O.K.

What do you guys think from your own experience and knowledge???
Old 01-11-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you take most of your mods off?
Old 01-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Launching!

You are screwed. If they can find anything aftermarket to blame it on, they will. Sorry to say that dude, but it's the truth. They will say something like the aftermarket filter allowed bigger than normal particles to get in and that clogged up your cat.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I took off the MAF and smooth bellows and put back the stock throttle body that is all!!
Old 01-11-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

same thing happened with my car. they replaced it for free. they didn't tell me any specifics. my ses light came on, i brought it to the shop, they told me one of my cats went bad, and they replaced it and i was on my merry way. when i got home i put the car on the ramps to see what they did, and sure enough there was a new cat on my car. i'm surprised they didnt give me hell for it cause the other cat was scratched pretty bad from bottoming out. i guess this is a common problem if we both had the same problem and both our cars or 02s. i guess we'll see though.

jacob
Old 01-11-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Qwikz28 did they try to blame you for your LID?? Or Exhaust??
Old 01-11-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

get ready for a BIG bill
Old 01-11-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

they charged my friend $500 for a new cat with install
Old 01-11-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If that is the case than why is it that alot of people on this site had it fixed for FREE!! I only have 20k on the car!!
Old 01-11-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope they dont charge me!! I would rather put headers and a full Exhaust for that much.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:08 PM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

I didn't have a problem. I had a bad cat replaced and at the time I had a lid, K&N, and catback.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Junkie

goto a diff dealer. it is def. the cat gone bad. since the only mods you have, that could possibly blame it on are the maf, and tb...have since been swapped, make them fix it. the lid/filter cannot cause a cat to go bad, and when the dummy service tech tries to make you pay, goto his supervisor and if he tells you to pay, goto the service manager...and so on. once you get to the top guy, threaten legal action since gm is defaulting on warranty work. that will work. lol. trust me. you just need to stand you ground and not back down. or, you could always take them off and delete them with ls1edit or another programmer that will do it.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:12 PM
10 Second Club

My pick up is in the shop for that right now. The whole reason the cat died was because of a random mutiple misfire issue I was having, the dealer knows this and they are still replacing the whole Y-pipe and cats for free (it's all one piece on the pick ups). There is really no way a lid and cat back will kill the cats, so if you get a bill fight it all the way.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

still havent installed them actually. can they deny warranty coverage even if they covered it for me?
Old 01-11-2005, 08:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wo words "GOOD LUCK".
Old 01-11-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If they decide to bill me and I decide to not fix the cat and I get 02 sims will that take away the service engine light?
Does this damaged cat affect my performance at all?
Old 01-11-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MetallicBluews6
If they decide to bill me and I decide to not fix the cat and I get 02 sims will that take away the service engine light?
Does this damaged cat affect my performance at all?

Jeeezz they SHOULD call you if they expect you to foot the bill, if they do tell them to FO and of course you will still have to take it up the *** for the "estimate/diagnosis" welcolm to the "game" Go with headers and an ORY with edit/tuners and so long dealerships
Old 01-11-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

well whats going to happen is, theyre going to take your car in the back...and look it over, and find whats wrong. then decide if theyre going to charge you. so once its in there, its in there. but when they come back, and try and charge you, you have to fight them.

if you dont have emissions, just take off the cats. and if you do, i heard some places in Il only scan for codes. if youre going to get o2 sims you might as well take off the cats. having the cats taken off and a pipe welded in is really cheap, considering the price of sims.

if you do decide to remove the cats, dont buy o2 sims. just have some1 with ls1edit delete them. the rear o2's are only there to tell you when the cat goes bad...and if you dont have them...

i recommend no cats. it will only benefit you, IMO.

chris
Old 01-11-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1 edit? How do I do that?
Old 01-11-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

you dont 'do' it persay...ls1edit is a program. you either a) buy it and the supporting cables and such - which is a tad bit pricey, and if you dont know what youre doing...dont do it, youll mess things up. lol. b) find someone that has it, and ask polietly to have the delete the rear o2's. normally ls1edit is for tuning, so most poeple charge, but for something that simple, most people would do it for free.

Quick Reply: I have taken my car to a gm goodwrench for a service engine light!!