Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One more round of pre-purchase questions, sorry lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One more round of pre-purchase questions, sorry lol

I mentioned i was looking at a couple Ls1 cars and you guys have been really helpful so far. I went down again today to take a good look at my number 1 choice in daylight and actually take it out on the road. It's the 00 TA with 19k certified from a GM dealer. I'm feeling it, but there were a couple issues. First it didn't start right away and they needed to jump it. They said it had been sitting for a while and I have seen it there for a few months so i know it probably hasnt been driven much. But when it started it puffed some smoke. It puffed for a couple revs and then went right away and that wasn't an issue for the test drive or at idle. Would it be fair to assume it was just carbon buildup from sitting so long or should I be worried oil is getting somewhere it shouldn't be??? The other thing I thought odd was that the panel with the traction control button seemed a bit loose and was held on with a screw. If anyone has a picture of what this panel should look like that would be awesome because it didn't look quite right. The t/c button was on the right, then there were 2 spots on the left of the panel that just had little round plastic covers like it was 2 holes that were plugged. I don't know if they leave space on the panel for options it didn't have or what. The salesguy said it was likely from aftermarket stereo equipment. I thought possibly an XM setup might have to have been wired up out of the stereo but my bigger fear was that it was a NOS switch or something lol. Another lesser issue was that the bird picture between the tail lites seemed really faded. Is this easily replaced? Other than that the car was aces and drove really well. It's super clean inside and out so I'm curious what everyone thinks about these issues I brought up. Thanx
Old 02-17-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

everything seems good to me ... i'd just get a 6month-1year full coverage warranty to make sure if anything did go wrong it'd be covered ... good luck with the car

the way i think of it, as long as the body is straight and rust free i could careless bout all the other things, warranty covers it or i'll be replacing it with go-fast parts anyway.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude there are so many ls-1's out there why get all worked up over one?????
If you have doubts, trust your instincts and let it go.
There is no doubt in my mind that you can find one that you feel completely great about.
Nothing worse then buying a POS and then regretting it.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:40 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
Dude there are so many ls-1's out there why get all worked up over one?????
If you have doubts, trust your instincts and let it go.
There is no doubt in my mind that you can find one that you feel completely great about.
Nothing worse then buying a POS and then regretting it.
absolutely 200% right. don't "settle" even if its just a hair off from what you want.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree, but it's actually the nicest one I've looked at and one of very few GM Certified ones I can find. I just finished college so it's actually the first "real" car I'd be buying and I've never been 100% satisfied with any of the f-bodys I've owned. It's making me really nervous about buying ANYTHING considering I'll be paying it off for a while and I really wanted one I can hold onto. The Carfax checks out, it's super clean, so I don't want to miss out because I'm reading too much into silly things like a broken panel and it not being driven for a while. At the same time I'd kick myself later if it where telltales of bigger issues. Part of me questions every little detail on the car and the other part asks "What could go wrong in less than 20K?"
Old 02-18-2005, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

When the instinct warning lights are buzzing, you need to be REALLY careful where you step. The car "could" blow a little smoke after sitting for awhile, but I can't think of a really good reason why. Start it again one morning and see if it does it again. The button being loose won't be a deal breaker for them. Just let them know that you want it fixed before you'll accept delivery. Fine tooth that SOB, and make sure it's a good fit for you.

Good luck!!
Old 02-18-2005, 04:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

"What could go wrong in less than 20K?"

A lot if it's been abused. Remember, it was traded in for a reason. Contrairy to popular salesman stories, not all sports cars were driven by sweet little old ladies that needed to get rid of it because her motorized cart was hard to get into the trunk.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:36 AM
Staging Lane

If you would like PM me or list the vin number here, and I will tell you the history of that vehicle that is on record with General motors,including warranty repair history,original selling dealer and original build content.

Originally Posted by GoldenBird
I mentioned i was looking at a couple Ls1 cars and you guys have been really helpful so far. I went down again today to take a good look at my number 1 choice in daylight and actually take it out on the road. It's the 00 TA with 19k certified from a GM dealer. I'm feeling it, but there were a couple issues. First it didn't start right away and they needed to jump it. They said it had been sitting for a while and I have seen it there for a few months so i know it probably hasnt been driven much. But when it started it puffed some smoke. It puffed for a couple revs and then went right away and that wasn't an issue for the test drive or at idle. Would it be fair to assume it was just carbon buildup from sitting so long or should I be worried oil is getting somewhere it shouldn't be??? The other thing I thought odd was that the panel with the traction control button seemed a bit loose and was held on with a screw. If anyone has a picture of what this panel should look like that would be awesome because it didn't look quite right. The t/c button was on the right, then there were 2 spots on the left of the panel that just had little round plastic covers like it was 2 holes that were plugged. I don't know if they leave space on the panel for options it didn't have or what. The salesguy said it was likely from aftermarket stereo equipment. I thought possibly an XM setup might have to have been wired up out of the stereo but my bigger fear was that it was a NOS switch or something lol. Another lesser issue was that the bird picture between the tail lites seemed really faded. Is this easily replaced? Other than that the car was aces and drove really well. It's super clean inside and out so I'm curious what everyone thinks about these issues I brought up. Thanx
Old 02-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Run your hands around the rear wheel wells. If the car's been hot rodded much, you're likely to find rubber remnants from smokey burnouts. But you really ought to be able to tell a lot from the looks of the interior. With that low mileage, it ought to look pretty darn nice. Almost new. Does it have an aftermarket air lid? Any loose wires hanging around? Look closely for signs that the previous owner removed hot rod equipment.

But seeing as it's GM Certified, that means that the dealer feels comfortable saying it's in top condition. If they thought it was a POS, they'd probably have wholesaled it. No reputable business wants to sell distressed merchandise that they certify as "good".
Old 02-18-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

well, since no one answered the original questions...i will. the panel with the tcs button only has the tcs button, nothing else. the other side of that plastic piece is blank. the tailight bird does fade over time. my car is a 99, and my bird is looking as red as ever...but theyre different cars. thats not an issue. do like the other guys said. look it over for loose wires and stuff like that and anything else outta the ordinairy
Old 02-19-2005, 03:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99BlackWS6
If you would like PM me or list the vin number here, and I will tell you the history of that vehicle that is on record with General motors,including warranty repair history,original selling dealer and original build content.
Thanks, you've got mail.
Originally Posted by gwcrim
Run your hands around the rear wheel wells. If the car's been hot rodded much, you're likely to find rubber remnants from smokey burnouts. But you really ought to be able to tell a lot from the looks of the interior. With that low mileage, it ought to look pretty darn nice. Almost new. Does it have an aftermarket air lid? Any loose wires hanging around? Look closely for signs that the previous owner removed hot rod equipment.

But seeing as it's GM Certified, that means that the dealer feels comfortable saying it's in top condition. If they thought it was a POS, they'd probably have wholesaled it. No reputable business wants to sell distressed merchandise that they certify as "good".
Yeah, I checked the back and the wheel wells, no real signs of abuse. As for the interior, it could pass as brand new. It's a light color too (tan) and there's not a stain to be found on the carpet.
As for the the dealer, it was always my impression that the dealerships kept/certified/resold cars in top notch condition and the ones that didn't make the cut where the ones that ended up at the average car lots. The problem I'm finding is that most of the F-Bodys still at GM dealers are SS's, WS6s, Verts, etc that are not what I'm looking to spend. After shopping around for months now and passing on a lot of deals at various used car dealers I feel like this one could be what I've been waiting for. The holes drilled into the TCS panel were a bit odd, but I suppose that would be the place to do it if you needed to wire out an XM unit or GPS. I'd be curious to see what 99BlackWS6 comes back with.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:18 AM
TECH Resident

Most of the time dealerships are pretty good about replacing stuff... if the TCS pannel makes you nervious have them order and install a new one ( cheap piece of plastic )... bring the car to a shop you trust and ask them to give it a quick once-over and get cyl pressure tested..

Don't GM Certified cars have the options of getting better warranties than others? I know how you feel GoldenBird, I have been looking for a NBM TA ( ws6 ) but I found one that's close to me with only 19k miles on it and it's been garaged... it's got the ram air hood, it's just not the color I want but there is something about it that I love.. just remember that the car is already 5 ( or 6 ) years old already so it's going to have SOME flaws... just go back everyday and have them start it to see if it happens... I wouldn't be worried about the carbon though, the SRT-4 I was looking at ( before I test drove a TA ) when we started it up it had also sat for a while and gave it some gas and the black puffs came out but after it was cleared up not a problem.

Well hope all goes good and take care man!
Old 02-19-2005, 06:13 AM
TECH Junkie

i will just say that i doubt it was for a xm radio. i have one and the wires go nowhere near that panel...more likely some kind of toggle switch. could be something simple, like a switch to turn off that annoying 'ding' the door makes if you leave it open when the key in the ignition. or it was for a nitrous system, or an electric cutout or something. that is just a really common place to put a switch