Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning off automatic headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turning off automatic headlights

I tried following a mod on my 01 Z28 for disabling the automatic headlights and it worked except my turn signals wouldn't flash. I tried searching the forums here and came up empty. Anyone fixed this situation before?
Old 03-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Which way did you do it? The easiest way to do it is to pull up the dash and take the sensor out and put a resistor of some sort in there ( used a paper clip) takes not more than 3 minutes and have done it to 10+ LS1's never had a problem with any of them.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do all four not flash, or just one side?
Old 03-06-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sweet Cheeks
Which way did you do it? The easiest way to do it is to pull up the dash and take the sensor out and put a resistor of some sort in there ( used a paper clip) takes not more than 3 minutes and have done it to 10+ LS1's never had a problem with any of them.

3 minutes beat you buy one it should be simple, just jump the conector.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I went the soldering route. Piece of cake. No issues what-so-ever afterwards.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss rally red
3 minutes beat you buy one it should be simple, just jump the conector.

I've never pulled the dash before or have I seen the resistor. Any site that has pics?
Old 03-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Teching In

I did it the hard way lol.... In my old camaro
I made a fuse w/ wires gong to my asr button which doesnt work since I dont have asr... i just flip the button...

That way its still automatic all other times...
Old 03-07-2005, 03:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just take out the t-top, remove the 2 phillips screws from the A-pillar next to the locating hole for the t-top, remove the plastic pillar cover or whatever it's called. Then the dash has clips and you just pry it up with your fingers enough to get to the sensor. Cut the wires and splice them together. It'll complete the circuit and you will now be able to have manual control. Once you see under the dash it's a no brainer. I did this on my old car and my buddies camaro, works perfect. My new car wasn't like that, something about whether or not a car was meant to be sold in Canada or not. US cars don't have auto headlights, Canadian ones do. I read it in the owners manual.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
My new car wasn't like that, something about whether or not a car was meant to be sold in Canada or not. US cars don't have auto headlights, Canadian ones do. I read it in the owners manual.
That's just the TA, I think all the Camaros use the auto headlights. The TA's have the wires looped together, but no sensor added. If you have no intention of ever using them, then pull the sensor out of the dash and short the wires together. Or, you could fish some wires down from that location and attach a toggle switch to short the wires together.

On my TA, I added a sensor from the junkyard to make my TA have auto lights. It was cool for about one day then got annoying. Luckily I added a toggle switch to control it as well as the DRL. SO 2 toggle switches for me. Everything worked fine.

You can find more info here:
http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html
Old 03-09-2005, 08:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW

You can find more info here:
http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html
This is the mod I used. Worked great.

I hate DRLs and auto headlights.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is the mod I used. Worked great.

I hate DRLs and auto headlights.

Did it kill your brake light on the dash? It did mine, but I don't care much.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98Z-6Speed
Did it kill your brake light on the dash? It did mine, but I don't care much.
You'll have to go into more detail because I have no idea what you mean.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You'll have to go into more detail because I have no idea what you mean.

You know, the idiot light on the dash board that says "brake". It comes on if you have a brake system failure or if you pull up on the E brake handle. When i removed the DRL, auto headlights box, it also disabled this light on my car.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've never had a brake system failure, but I do use the parking brake everytime I park (6 speed), so I know what light you mean. It shouldn't have anything to do with the DRL/autoheadlights mod.

BTW, what do you mean you removed the auto headlights box?
Did you remove this module?

Your not supposed to, you can just add a toggle switch and wire it into this box to control the DRL's. If you removed it completely, that may have effected your dash light.

Or else the dash LED just burned out.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've never had a brake system failure, but I do use the parking brake everytime I park (6 speed), so I know what light you mean. It shouldn't have anything to do with the DRL/autoheadlights mod.

BTW, what do you mean you removed the auto headlights box?
Did you remove this module?

Your not supposed to, you can just add a toggle switch and wire it into this box to control the DRL's. If you removed it completely, that may have effected your dash light.

Or else the dash LED just burned out.

Yes, I removed the box completely. He gives a warning on that site that it may take out your dash brake light, and it did. He also said for some people it made their hatch button stop working, but it did not affect mine.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here's a few pics of the sensor. This is my 98 Z28. I DID NOT have to pull off the drivers side a-pillar cover to get to it, only removee the passenger side and popped up the dash panel from that side, you'll be able to get your hand under there very easily to turn it 1/4 turn and pull it out. As you can see in the second pic, plenty of slack! This doesn't affect the headlight usage via the headlight switch in any way! Basically, the auto headlights are now disabled because the pcm will now think that it's bright outside and never turns them on. I don't know exactly what mod you did, but this is the easiest way to disable the auto headlights as was mentioned above. If your blinkers don't flash, odds are the bulbs are burnt. Remember, if the DRL bulbs are out, the blinkers still won't blink. Blinkers and DRLs are not the same. Hopefully this helps...

Old 03-11-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

On my TA I added that light sensor (the dash has a hole for it) then wired a toggle to short the wires out on either side of the switch. That way you can turn it on or off easily. That is very cool to do. I can now wink my DRL lights during the day when another F-body or vette goes by in the other direction. I'm sure they are thinking, "What the Fu??".

While I had the dash pad up I replaced the red LED with a blue one. Looks pretty cool.

You could leave the sensor in place and add a wire tap to short the wires together. Like this style: Then you wouldn't lose the sensor and it is reversable.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Whoops, forgot to mention that in my post. All I did was snip the wires (leave about 2" on each wire from the sensor in case you want to go back to stock). I basically removed the sensor from the circuit and just hardwired the wires together with a butt connector!
Old 03-11-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

connecting these 2 wires together on a camaro, will it disable the headlights from comming on automatically and still have the amber front bumper bulbs lit. or will turn those lights off also.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

DRL (amber lights) will still remain lit! That's the beauty of it, disables the headlights and enables the DRLs FULLTIME!

Quick Reply: Turning off automatic headlights