Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to get a good launch???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to get a good launch???

I have a m6, and I am having difficulty understanding how to get a good launch from a stop!!! Everyone who is teaching me how is telling me from a a4 standpoint, and I am a m6. Anyone with a m6, what do I do i order to get off the line with a hard or good launch??? Also what is needed to get a good launch, bot a "off the ground" launch, but just a solid one???
Old 03-08-2005, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Depends on your set-up. It all depends on the tires you have, suspension mods and the rear end you have. If you have a stock 10 bolt, street tires along with stock suspension and a stock clutch, you will not want to rev it up that high. I have an A4 but have had 4 stick shift cars back in the past. It depends again on your setup but I would try reving it to about 1500-2000 rpm's and try feathering the clutch. Then again try doing the same rpm's and try a light dump...do whatever works.
Good luck and don't break anything...

TJ
Old 03-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

my set up right now is all stock, I have nitto drags coming, so I know its gonna be easier to launch, but what do you mean by feathering and or dump??? I am new to this, hey I also have som pacesetters in the mail as we speak, I got them off ebay for $390 what a deal brother!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's easy to break stuff with stock suspension/rear end/clutch and sticky tires...first thing that will go is the rear then the clutch...but i'd try revving to 2000 and slip the clutch...like normal driving just a little faster...but not actually dumping it...i usually try doing that and getting on the throttle part way...then when it catches you go 100% throttle...you can't come off the line at 100% throttle and expect to get a good 60' unless you have sticky tires...which you will need a 12-bolt/9" and a clutch
Old 03-08-2005, 04:54 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 777
it's easy to break stuff with stock suspension/rear end/clutch and sticky tires...first thing that will go is the rear then the clutch...but i'd try revving to 2000 and slip the clutch...like normal driving just a little faster...but not actually dumping it...i usually try doing that and getting on the throttle part way...then when it catches you go 100% throttle...you can't come off the line at 100% throttle and expect to get a good 60' unless you have sticky tires...which you will need a 12-bolt/9" and a clutch
exactly what i was gonna say
Old 03-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

DAMN!!! So if I run once or twice a week on the streets, with the stock suspension/rear end/clutch with the nitto drags, I can wave goodbye to me rear and clutch in about how long??? And both you guys suggest I get me a clutch and 12-bolt/9"??? Thats gonna be my next project, so what are the best brands for the 12-bolt/9" and a clutch??? And whats that going to run me???
Old 03-08-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00SUPERSPORT
DAMN!!! So if I run once or twice a week on the streets, with the stock suspension/rear end/clutch with the nitto drags, I can wave goodbye to me rear and clutch in about how long??? And both you guys suggest I get me a clutch and 12-bolt/9"??? Thats gonna be my next project, so what are the best brands for the 12-bolt/9" and a clutch??? And whats that going to run me???
Alot of money! I know 12 bolts are about 2k I believe, correct me if I am wrong. Do some research first and you will see what people run and what they buy...
Old 03-09-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep...12 bolt(strange or moser) is about 2k. If lucky can find a used one for around 1500. Clutch will be around $400 for a good one.(spec stage 3) gets my vote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:37 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 00SUPERSPORT
i paid ~1k for my spec 3 clutch, aluminum fly wheel, new master/slave/pilot bearing, and mac girdle w/ ARP studs.

a moser or strange 12 will be over 2k as stated.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrp
i paid ~1k for my spec 3 clutch, aluminum fly wheel, new master/slave/pilot bearing, and mac girdle w/ ARP studs.

a moser or strange 12 will be over 2k as stated.
You paid over 1k for your spec stage 3? Im getting everything you listed except mac girdle w/arp studs for $750 installed at a local shop, guess im getting a better deal than I thought