New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can a clutch thats in good shape still slip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default can a clutch thats in good shape still slip?

i think my clutch is fine, i only have 50k miles on my car and i havent abused it at all.

just yesterday, some kid outside a record store wanted me to light them up when i took off, and since i havent done a burnout in awhile i figured 'why not'? (only the second time i've ever done one in this car btw..)

anyway, i reved it up to about 4k or so, then dropped the clutch and floored it. i didnt really drop the clutch as i like to keep my rear end somewhat happy, but i thought i got off it quick enough. it didnt light them up at all, it just slipped all the way thru first. i didnt realize it was slipping until i looked in the rear view and then smelled that gawd awefull stink... i dont know if the smell tends to linger for awhile or not, but it smelled for hours after that...

anyway, my question is, can a stock clutch thats in good shape still slip like a **** if not launched correctly? i dont notice any slipping at all, but if its gonna lunch out on me soon i'd like to go ahead and take care of it before i end up stranded someplace.

thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it's prolly on it's downhill road...but they can still do that...my boss's friend has a viper truck and with only 1000miles on it he smoked the clutch...not tires spinning just the clutch
Old 04-04-2005, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by badhoopty
i think my clutch is fine, i only have 50k miles on my car and i havent abused it at all.

just yesterday, some kid outside a record store wanted me to light them up when i took off, and since i havent done a burnout in awhile i figured 'why not'? (only the second time i've ever done one in this car btw..)

anyway, i reved it up to about 4k or so, then dropped the clutch and floored it. i didnt really drop the clutch as i like to keep my rear end somewhat happy, but i thought i got off it quick enough. it didnt light them up at all, it just slipped all the way thru first. i didnt realize it was slipping until i looked in the rear view and then smelled that gawd awefull stink... i dont know if the smell tends to linger for awhile or not, but it smelled for hours after that...

anyway, my question is, can a stock clutch thats in good shape still slip like a **** if not launched correctly? i dont notice any slipping at all, but if its gonna lunch out on me soon i'd like to go ahead and take care of it before i end up stranded someplace.

thanks in advance.
How do you know that your clutch is in good shape? A stock clutch can slip with 1000 miles on it. You must have laid on the clutch too long during the burnout. Best thing to do is just dump it completely.

What kind of tires do you have? If they are regular street tires, I wouldn't worry too much about hurting the rear, especially on a 4k dump.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

regular street tires, the street i was on was pretty freshly paved so there was a decent amount of traction.

i just assume the clutch is in good shape since it hasnt given me any trouble and hasnt slipped at all up to this point. i dont thrash on it, but i do drive with some gusto and havent had a problem prior to this.

i suppose i could try it again, see if it will do it a second time...
Old 04-04-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keenov- is your car tuned or why did it only do 367? Looks like you have full boltons and your a M6 so i would expect more like 380-90 w/ that cam. Was it a Mustang dyno or something other than a dynojet?

Anyways, back on topic. Your clutch will still be ok for awhile. You took some life off of it obviously but it will still last awhile.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by luv2spd
Keenov- is your car tuned or why did it only do 367? Looks like you have full boltons and your a M6 so i would expect more like 380-90 w/ that cam. Was it a Mustang dyno or something other than a dynojet?

Anyways, back on topic. Your clutch will still be ok for awhile. You took some life off of it obviously but it will still last awhile.
It was dyno tuned by a respectible tuner on a dynojet. I was thinking it should be more after looking at all of the numbers on this site, but whatever. It pulls hard and the track will tell me my real gains

Here is the graph though. Red is untuned. The car was running damn good without a tune and all of my mods
Attached Thumbnails can a clutch thats in good shape still slip?-robertbunch2.jpg  
Old 04-04-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow that peaks pretty early but hold nice and flat. Looks like it would be fun on the street! How was your car's dyno in relation to others that dyno'd on that dyno?
Old 04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Old 04-04-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry man! To help get back on topic again: I wouldn't worry about replacing it yet. Stock clutches can't really take any slipping at higher rpms so next time you do it, its better to just dump it as previously mentioned. When I was a rookie M6 driver I smoked my clutch.....that was almost two years ago and I'm still running it although I doubt it will last too terribly long since i put a cam in.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Sounds like your clutch is ******* shot....

But in rare cases a rear main seal will leak oil onto the clutch surface it sounds like that may be the case given that it just reved out like that ... either way best of luck.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tcarswell
Sounds like your clutch is ******* shot....

But in rare cases a rear main seal will leak oil onto the clutch surface it sounds like that may be the case given that it just reved out like that ... either way best of luck.
its the only time its ever done it, and my car is wicked clean, no rear main leakin, never had to add any oil between changes and i've never smelled any oil since i got it almost 25k miles ago. no drips or messiness underneath at all besides the typical road grime.

after my first post on this, i was toolin around and while i didnt drop the clutch from a dig i did drop it into first from second and broke them loose like nothin'

a new clutch is now definitely on the list, but i really think i just launched it like a retard...

Old 04-07-2005, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Smile

I have smoked mine twice trying to do them burnouts. I started in 1st got them spinning and then slammed it into 2nd. I apparently didn't release the clutch fast enough and was quick on the gas.....smoked it all the way to 6000 RPM. Stunk all the way home and my gargage smelled for a week!!
I only have 13,000 miles on my car! I have been driving it "nice" and it seems okay. Did try another burnout and it still slipped when I shifted it into second. I need to go to a driving school and get schooled on hoe to shift this damn thing. New clutch on the brain just not sure which clutch to buy....Spec 3, Mcloed single disc, double disc, Ram Clutch, or go back to the stock Z06...the z06 is a lot cheaper but really would like to spin them wheels in 2nd or 3rd gear and the stock zo6 didn't really hold up to my bad driving.