Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cats opinion

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cats opinion

Aright I live in Michigan. Im about to get to the part on my exhaust project where I decide to keep my cats (i baught aftermarket bullet cats) or just say screw it and leave them off. Im not worried about emmisions to much Im gonna decide on sound quality. What would you recomend for a better and deeper sound.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:32 PM
10 Second Club

What are you running for mufflers. Most true duals sound fine without cats. If you don't need them don't bother with them.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kkkevvvinnn
Aright I live in Michigan. Im about to get to the part on my exhaust project where I decide to keep my cats (i baught aftermarket bullet cats) or just say screw it and leave them off. Im not worried about emmisions to much Im gonna decide on sound quality. What would you recomend for a better and deeper sound.
Curious as to this myself. FWIW the catback I'm running is a Magnaflow.

(BTW kkkevvvinnn: A Fish Called Wanda Fan??)
Old 04-06-2005, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

bullet mufflers
Old 04-06-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah i am also interested in running my exhaust system with no cats. I am currently running the FLP header/ory system with the cats that came with it ( i would replace the cats with the off road pipes that came with the FLP system.) My exhaust is Borla with no plate.

I have heard that running no cats and and a free flowing exhaust = no back pressure. Ive also heard that on stock engines zero back pressure takes away from your low end power and maybe cause other problems with your engine. This is all what i have heard, im not sure how credible these stories are. I would appreciate any advice on this subject, thanks
Old 04-06-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put headers on my ride a couple of weeks ago. Went duals dumped before the axle without cats. It is a lot louder than the borla with the open plate for sure. Some people think it sounds like a truck, but only at low rpms. My opinion, even with the noise, the smell, and the vibratioin I could still go louder.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

smell and vibration???? is this a big problem with running no cats?
Old 04-07-2005, 05:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cats suck.... they rob hp and weight too much.... if you dont have to have them... then lose them...
Old 04-07-2005, 06:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kkkevvvinnn
bullet mufflers
I run 12" bullets on mine. It sounds good without cats but you'll probrably get sick of their tone after awhile (mainly at WOT). I'm switching to a dumped y-pipe with a flo pro twister.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:46 AM
On The Tree

There has been several issues about this on several boards. The decision to delete your cats have to be determined by, 1) Does your state have an emissions requirement? If so, use high flow cats. 2) Sound quality. Especially if you go with LT's. Some ppl can't stand the raspy sound usually found in the 2000 to 2500 RPM range. 3) SES light. When you delete your cats, you will get a "service engine soon" light blinding you on your dash cluster. You will have to reprogram your CPU by turning off the (4) O2 sensors to keep the SES light from coming back on. If you do this, it is recommended to use either a Granatelli Diablio type programmer or even better, HP tuner. And since you will have that done, you should go and tune other things like, !cags for M6'ers, rev limiter, lowering the stage I and II fans to turn on/off sooner, etc... And 4) Money. You can spend from $100 to $2000+ depending on the setup. I think there is a post at the beginning of this section that will give you great advice before you start modding your car.

As with most mods, some complement eachother and some conflict. You can go to the Ls1sounds site as shown in the previous post to know which sounds good to you. But I do suggest to check out cars of the same year with different exhaust systems and hear them for yourself. Of all the mods I did, the exhaust system was the most time consuming and I still ended upwasting $$$ changing it out. I ended up with Flowtech ceramic LT with no cats. A custom 3" y-pipe with a FlowMaster catback and a dynoMax ultraflow bullet race muffler with hidden turndowns for a sleeper look. Good Luck.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SilverZ
There has been several issues about this on several boards. The decision to delete your cats have to be determined by,
1) Does your state have an emissions requirement? If so, use high flow cats.

2) Sound quality. Especially if you go with LT's. Some ppl can't stand the raspy sound usually found in the 2000 to 2500 RPM range.

3) SES light. When you delete your cats, you will get a "service engine soon" light blinding you on your dash cluster. You will have to reprogram your CPU by turning off the (4) O2 sensors to keep the SES light from coming back on. If you do this, it is recommended to use either a Granatelli Diablio type programmer or even better, HP tuner. And since you will have that done, you should go and tune other things like, !cags for M6'ers, rev limiter, lowering the stage I and II fans to turn on/off sooner, etc... And

4) Money. You can spend from $100 to $2000+ depending on the setup. I think there is a post at the beginning of this section that will give you great advice before you start modding your car.
1) Check your local laws, and try to abide by that

2) That's a very personal opinion thing. Also, many people nowadays have moved away from the traditional "bullet' cheap muffler. If you got to a flo-pro, or especially a BorlaXR-1, that resonance is nearly impossibly to hear.

3) "blinding"???? It's a little annoying, but i've never had any trouble seeing at night....i would stay away from any hand held programmer, unless it was a last option. Really, I'd drive with the SES light before putting a hand held program on my cars tune. There are not 4 sensors to turn off. You only turn off the rear o2 sensors, as the front two are still needed. Doesn't matter anyways, he already bought o2 sims

4)Money has already been spent i believe. He is well past that point in his exhaust install. His setup is a very nice setup, and if i were in his shoes(LT's, and a Lanes TD kit), i would run w/o cats if it's leagal

Good luck with it Kevin!! Sorry i couldn't help you with your last problem! hope you figured it out! Me and you both had out problems last night...the damn locking pins to setup my new pistons/rods were giving me hell last night, so i know how you felt! i only have one more piston/rod setup to put together today, and then i'm ready to install! Hope you got the car finished, and got to drive it today! You better have at LEAST 3 numbers from the women at the ACT's, or else,
don't call