Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gonna sound lame but.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gonna sound lame but.....

What is the firebird SLP? I assume it's just a package like the WS6, but has the SLP exhaust. Is that right? What are the specs? What years were they made and in what numbers? Just curious on them since I have only seen one.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check for jrp's sticky and/or his signature at the bottom of his name (search for it) it will tell you what you need to know plus a lot of other stuff i'm sure you don't know. but to answer your question slp makes the firehawk and the ss...so a "firebird slp" is aka a pontiac firehawk...it has a 345hp rating from the factory and 17" specific wheels along with appearance and some suspension upgrades...and it is a "collectors" car as there weren't a whole lot made i don't think
Old 04-20-2005, 06:35 AM
Launching!

Thanks for answering. I didn't think much of searching since it was a simple question. Didn't mean to make it so lame.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:09 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its all good. for a long time I thought the STi logo was actually an STX at a really weird angle.

Brad
Old 04-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Launching!

That's pretty funny STX. There's a small difference between the two. Mostly the hp ratings and 1/4 mi times.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:41 AM
Launching!

So let me get this strait..... the firehawk is the same as the SLP? Is that right? I know the firehawk has those stickers on the door pannels, but on the back bumper it said "SLP" instead of the WS6/SS/Z28.

Maybe I'm just confused. What are the differences between firehawk,formula,and WS6? I'm assuming it's just like the RS/Z28/SS packages is that right?
Old 04-20-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The SLP badge was added by the owner. SLP did not label the car.

The Pontiac Firebird came in two trim levels known as Formula and Trans Am.

One optional upgrade was WS.6. depending on the year it could be added to the Formula or the Trans Am. Therefore you can have either a Formula WS.6 ot a T/A WS.6. Option content was mostly the Ram Air Hood made by ASCD for GM.

Another optional upgrade was the Firehawk. It also could be added to the Formula or the Trans Am. Therefore you can have either a Formula Firehawk ot a T/A Firehawk. The Firehawk upgrade was done by SLP for GM. It included optional content for different years, but always included hood, exhaust, wheels.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Launching!

thanks blasst. I knew I was getting them confused. Now between the formula and trans am, what is the difference? I alwasy thought the formula was a step up over the TA. Is there a web site I can check out to a "history of" f-bodies?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya got that back asswards MaSTi. T/A is over formula. A formula would be (and don't take this personal Z/28 guys, nor formula guys) but like a Z/28. Plain body with an awesome drivetrain, could be had in a "base model" like hard top, cloth, cassette, no power anything. dont get me wrong there are loaded ones. but the trans ams had a different rear spoiler, different front bumper, came only in leather (98 up for sure, not certain on 97) and only in ttop or vert. if you find a hardtop 98 up t/a, thats a fubared car. basically the T/A has a few more bells and whistles, but a non schilant, go fast and kick your *** car and not care how it looks is a formula.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey MaSTi i thought the suby's were boxer 4cyl. (2 cyl. on each side).

i just noticed that u say ur car has 1 header. They should have 2 headers just correcting u bud by the way i luv sti's
Old 04-21-2005, 06:52 AM
Launching!

Nope. It is a one piece header. It look kind like a Y-pipe, so it is one and not two. It is a unequal legnth header where the side to the turbo is shorter. Keeping a unequal legnth header keeps the boxer rumble.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:53 AM
Launching!

Thanks Swang for clarifying the models and stuff. I understand the camaro examples since I have owned one. I just don't know the differences between the firebirds.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a formula, at base model, is a v6 firebird with a different engine and tranny if you are a m6...you can never get a trans am less than a leather, t-toped car...personally i like the formula front end better and the trans am rear spoiler better...