Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sell my GT or trade in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell my GT or trade in?

Well I have been trying to sell my 01GT for quite a while with no avail (I live in a small town). I have found a 2002 LS1 with 35000 miles at a dealer for 14500(before any haggling). My question is, how much money you think I would lose if I traded in my GT (which I still owe about $6k on) on this 2002 LS1? My car's blue book private party value is about $12,200, the trade in value is about $10000.

So where do you think I would land if I tried to do a trade-in? You think they would give me full trade in value minus what is still owed on my car? So that would mean I would owe about $9000 on the LS1 when all is said and done...

Or should I just try to sell my GT and then buy an LS1? The thing is that I am quite find of the Camaro I found. It is black, last year of production, manual, good condition, basically everything I would be looking for in an LS1....

I don't know though... It's a tough decision.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

id sell it...but if you want it bad...trade...you know what you want to do. do whatever you want. if you think it is worth it, trade it. i find an 02 for 14,5 though to be a low price, so id ask questions about it first, like condition, ever wrecked, etc...
Old 03-09-2006, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Swang
id sell it...but if you want it bad...trade...you know what you want to do. do whatever you want. if you think it is worth it, trade it. i find an 02 for 14,5 though to be a low price, so id ask questions about it first, like condition, ever wrecked, etc...
It is supposedly in perfect condition (I live kinda far away from the dealer so I havent seen it myself yet), but I should be getting some pics soon....
Old 03-09-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If i was you i would pay off what you owe on the stang or as much as you can then sell your car out right. Go find you a ls1 and you will have the cash from the stang you sold to play with the f-body.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can haggle em down to 13,000 thats a pretty good deal for low miles black M6 Camaro. The dealer will always screw you on trade ins, but if you can't sell it otherwise you don't have many options. If you haven't tried it yet you may want to consider selling it to someone out of the state and just meeting them halfway.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Can you do it financialy? Can you make the payments? Do you want THAT exact car that much? If yes, then I say do it. I no takeing advise from a 16 year old may be hard, but thats the way I see it. If you can do it, and want to, why not? Just b/c you MAY be able to get a better deal somewhere on something that might not be what you want? Clean your GT up, take it up to the dealership, and see what they will do for you, ya never know.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Just word to the wise, if you used KBB those figures are worthless. Nada is generally more around the field you want to be looking at. Personal I round them together. Any way you look at getting a vehicle from a dealer your going to get screwed, question is how screwed. I wouldn't do a trade-in unless you have someone that knows how to work a dealership. I know I did on my last one and I work the camaro down $3k, and jumped my vehicle up $1k.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll get screwed on the trade in at the dealer, if you absolutely can't sell it (I'd even try ebay before doing a trade) then I guess you haven't any choice but to trade it, but go prepared, know what the car is worth, and know what you need to have out of it to do the deal, and if they don't give it to you be ready to walk out without the ls1
Old 03-09-2006, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

Yea you always get screwed on the trades. Just have to make that decision if its worth the loss. And man definatly call to see if the car is still there before going if its a long drive. I drove 2 hours to go look at a lightning to find out it was sold 3 days before i got there. And i called the night before and that morning and was told it was still there!!!!!!! And they told me they took one in on trade but when i got there they told me that never happened either!!!! Watch the huge new car dealers that claim to have the lowest prices because they can move the most cars they are definatly one of the biggest scams.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:47 PM

Sell it.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

keep it and get the camaro.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

I'm thinking if I can work out most of the deal over the internet I can keep myself from wasting my time... The dealer where the Camaro is at is about 6 hours away from here so I would hate to waste 15 hours of my time and gas for nothing if it turns out they won't go as low as I want them to. If it was a local dealer I wouldn't care at all, I could go in there without a care in the world knowing I only wasted about 10 minutes if we can't work out a deal... However I live in a little town and I don't have that luxury..
Old 03-09-2006, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Also, is there any way to tell by the VIN which options it has? The vin is 2G1FP22G322168981X if it matters...
Old 03-10-2006, 12:20 AM
12 Second Club

I was in a similar situation when I was shopping for an LS1 Camaro last spring/summer. I found an immaculate 1999 Black Z28 with less than 10,000 mi. on it for $14,900, but it was in Michigan (about 8 hours one way from where I live). I called up, tried to deal, waited, called back, tried to haggle, etc. The lowest they would take was like $14,400. Screw that. I ended up finding the perfect car locally for much, much less than what they were asking.

Here's the thread from way back when w/ a few good bargaining strategies:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/323318-help-negotiating-dealer.html

When you're that far away, the dealer has the favor b/c they know you aren't traveling X amount of hours for nothing. I know it may suck, but just be patient and you'll find the right one.

Good Luck