Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Swap In Progress....

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap In Progress....

So i dropped my car off today to start getting worked on. The longblock only has 14k on it so im taking the accessories off of my old motor. Ill try and keep everyone posted on how everything goes through maybe with pictures. Im hoping to hit a high 12 at Englishtown with the mods i have in the signature when i get it all up and running again. I think thats a realistic time considering the mods.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:44 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

whats going in?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

just everything from my sig and a stock LS1 from a 98 with 14k on it. Just got all my parts in from Jegs today im bringing them over tonight to the garage...
Old 07-06-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea you should be able to hit high 12's with those mods, maybe throw in some good tires for insurance. What happened to your original engine?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

yea the tires are brand new on there i dont know what kind they are but they actually hook pretty good. My old motor was down like 2-3 quarts of oil and i was driving it around pretty hard for a month since i just got the car. I heard a clanking noise coming back from a trip to seaside and brought it back to my buddy thats putting in all this stuff. I wound up blowing a wrist pin and who knows what else. All i know is when i drove it to his house the other day the clanking was SOOO loud like someone playing kettle drums with a huge amp!!!! On top of that all the power seemed to have dissapeared. Dropping my stuff off tonight.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u should run high 12s pretty easy....i havent ran on the clock but i ran my cousins car, in which he ran 12.8s and 12.7s consistantly (02 camaro m6 with a few mods) i beat his car twice by at least a fender length....with the mods in my sig
Old 07-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

ok so i went over to the garage the other night. Trans and engine are completly out at this point and the new engine is ready to go in. Hopefully dont run into any trouble when putting everything back together. Headers are coming in on friday and the whole car should be complete by the end of next week. Still awaiting shipment of the throttle body so if it doesnt get here by next week then i will have to clean and reuse my old one.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Checked on the car again last night. New engine is mounted in the SS!!! Headers and exhaust are going in tonight. Then some wiring is being done after all thats finished. All thats left after that is the install of the Prolite shift light and hurst short throw. I should be back on the road by thursday i would think easily....
Old 07-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

ITS ALIVE!!!!! bolted the headers on while i was putting the shifter in last night. We gave it a crank to hopefully hear it rip and let me tell you that was REDICULOUS hahaha... I mean in a garage with the doors closed and open headers on the LS1 it was soo loud. Tonight it should be finished just gotta connect the front 02 sensors and the ypipe is fitted to the headers now. All the electric works. Just need to connect the ypipe to the back of the exhaust then crank it up and let the computer relearn everything. Finally it will be back on the road....
Old 07-20-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice, can't wait to see the times it puts down. Now just check your oil :-P

Just messin' with you.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coolest thing ever.. starting a car after a new motor!! The best sound though is starting it after a new cam with the headers open, it sounds like a beast.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

WOW... The torque is definitly more than it was before. Finished the car last night and took it for a test drive onto route 4 . from a 10 mph roll threw it into first annihilated the tires through 1st, spun into second pretty hard, spun 3rd briefly, and 4th still chirpped!!! Very loud with headers and ORY throught the loudmouth. It drives like a totally different car like its brand new hahaha. Also the Hurst shifter made a HUGE difference in quality and precise shifts i feel much safer driving it hard. This weekend just finishing up the little things charging the AC unit and wiring up the shift light then its good to go.. Im so happy to almost have my car back now!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Congrats, I just did a motor swap myself and it is great felling to hear ot start and then take it out and romp on it!