Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to expect from these performance mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to expect from these performance mods

I've been considering purchasing a LSX intake manifold and a fast 90mm throttle body. what can i expect from these mods as far as horsepower goes? not only that, but if i done these mods would i have to do any other mod to accomodate these? all ya'll performance guru's chime in and help me out on this.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

What year is your z28? 01-02's already have the LS6 intake manifold. If you have a 98-2000 LS1 the LS6 intake manifold is a very good upgrade. should net you 10-20 to the rear? You don't HAVE to do other mods to accomidate those, but some long tube headers and a nice catback or true duals and a lid will really open up the airflow especially with the TB and intake. Get a plan together before you start modding, don't just start adding alot of random mods is the best thing i can say. Start out by getting the car to breath better ( like with the mods i said ) What are your goals for the car? Are you wanting to do a turbo setup, a blower, all motor? All of these are questions you need to answer before we can help you more. That a good explination?
Old 08-30-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

the 90 mm throttle body will not work with an LS1 or LS6 intake manifold, you would need to have the fast intake manifold with a 90mm throttle body opening. These set ups are very pricey and not that much better than an LS6 intake if you still have stock internals(stock cam and stock cylinder heads). I would suggest that you spend that money on an LS6 intake manifold and a set of long tube headers from Pace Setter, with an LS6 intake you will want to get the race version of these headers. As far as the throttle body is concerned, do a search in the external engine section on how to port it, or get one from thunder racing if you don't want to do it your self.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

DOH! haha totally didn't even realize that when i read his post about the 90mm TB not fitting!
Old 08-30-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ls6 intake is a really worthwhile mod, **** the FAST 90mm TB though. jsut let neweraperformance port and polish your stocker
Old 08-30-2006, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

thanks alot guys for the help. My car is a 98 ls1. My future goals for the car is to get 400-420 hp all motor. i don't want it to sound like a drag car, but i hear that a cam and heads package can produce some really good gains. I'm ready to order a set of LT headers and a magnaflow exhaust, but i not sure if i should get the catback or the cut-out or for that matter true duals? all opinions will be appreciated. as far as the 90mm TB should i even bother? if so should i get the ported version? if so can someone explain why the ported version is better. I'm sorry guys for all the questions but i'm sure ya'll won't mind helping me out on this.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Get true duals or a cutout. Sounds better, and makes more power. I wouldn't bother with a catback. I'm not going to.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

like what was stated, if you get a 90mm throttle body, you will need to buy a $900 intake, and a $400 throttle body that will net you only slight gains and isnt really nessesary unless your going radical H/c set-up or upping your cubes. id get a ls6 intake($400) and port your own throttle body. that would be almost $900 in your pocket. with the rest id get some headers, cutout, and an under drive pully.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by onebadZ28
thanks alot guys for the help. My car is a 98 ls1. My future goals for the car is to get 400-420 hp all motor. i don't want it to sound like a drag car, but i hear that a cam and heads package can produce some really good gains. I'm ready to order a set of LT headers and a magnaflow exhaust, but i not sure if i should get the catback or the cut-out or for that matter true duals? all opinions will be appreciated. as far as the 90mm TB should i even bother? if so should i get the ported version? if so can someone explain why the ported version is better. I'm sorry guys for all the questions but i'm sure ya'll won't mind helping me out on this.
So you're wanting 400-420 all motor and you want it to sound like a bad mother f*cker? PM me you're email and i'll send you some videos