Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gears?

Do most 01/02 Z28 A4's come with the 3.23's or the 2.73's?
Old 09-01-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2.73s... 3.23s were at option, both are shitty for a auto...a stalled 3.73 for a dd would be really nice.... 4.120s ina strip car would be better, but sucky on the highway.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:14 AM
Banned

check on ur door gu5 i belive is 3.23 i cold be wrong u may wanna do a search
Old 09-03-2006, 04:53 AM
11 Second Club

Yes GU5 means that the gears are 3.23
It is on the inside of the door. Drivers side.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

he doesn't own a car yet, he is doing research.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have had 2.73 on both my T/A's and while there not great performance wise, I do get really good gas mileage with them especially when cruising on the highway at 80 at 2000 rpm's. But overall they suck
Old 09-03-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

The Z28 has 2.73s and the SS has 3.23s with the A4. All M6 are 3.42s. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

GU2=2.73 GU5=3.23 GU6=3.42 all M6 cars are 3.42 MOST cars were 3.23's but some were 2.73's
Old 09-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

how much of a difference would u feel if going from a 2.73 to a 3.73? as in bottom end pull, and 1/4 mile times
Old 09-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Tainted
GU2=2.73 GU5=3.23 GU6=3.42 all M6 cars are 3.42 MOST cars were 3.23's but some were 2.73's
other way around. most were 2.73 cars. they were standard. the optioned performance package gave 3.23's.

- most A4 formulas, Z28's and T/A's came with GU2 2.73 ration gears in A4 models

- A4 formulas, Z28's and T/A's with the optional performance package had GU5 3.23 gears

- all A4 SS's and WS6's had GU5 3.23's

- all M6's, no matter what model, had GU6 3.42's
Old 09-03-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
The Z28 has 2.73s and the SS has 3.23s with the A4. All M6 are 3.42s. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

wrong..z28 could be had with 3.23
Old 09-03-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

i thought that like after 98 or 99 most just came with the 3.23's
Old 09-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Tainted
i thought that like after 98 or 99 most just came with the 3.23's
my 2001 has 2.73's. read my post above. it's 100% accurate.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Banned

Yeah, I am just re-searching. I have decided I want an 01-02 car and I have until some stuff sells to buy it (probably around this coming summer sometime) and I am directly on the fence about T56 or A4 transmission. The car will be left almost bone stock, so no stalled-auto comments pls. I want durability first, speed second.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:30 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Yeah, I am just re-searching. I have decided I want an 01-02 car and I have until some stuff sells to buy it (probably around this coming summer sometime) and I am directly on the fence about T56 or A4 transmission. The car will be left almost bone stock, so no stalled-auto comments pls. I want durability first, speed second.
IMO, if you're on the shelf about wanting an M6 or A4, get the A4. reason being is manual transmissions are more for die hards. if you buy an A4, there will be some times you wish you could row through the gears. believe me, i do every now and then. however, if you get an M6, there will be far more times you wish you had an automatic. ever drive home from a party at 2am? you'll wish you had an auto. stop and go traffic? you'll wish you had an auto. work commute with a daily driver? you'll wish you had an auto. the only times i ever wish i had an M6 is crusing around on a sunny day during the weekend - and those days don't happen too often

my car is a daily driver. it takes me to work every day, and every commute i'm glad i went with an automatic. i'd go insane driving stick through that. if this car is your daily driver, you'll regret an M6 regularly.

i know you're scared of your A4 grenading, but i can assure you in a nearly stock car, they're a reliable transmission. go on autotrader and find 100,000 mile LS1 A4's. you'll find a lot of them all on their stock transmission. only when you throw in a cam and up the shift points will your trans see trouble. the 4L60E can handle bolt-ons for the most part as long as you maintain it with regular fluid and filter changes, keep it cool and drive like a normal person and not like you stole it - just like any other automatic transmission out there.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
IMO, if you're on the shelf about wanting an M6 or A4, get the A4. reason being is manual transmissions are more for die hards. if you buy an A4, there will be some times you wish you could row through the gears. believe me, i do every now and then. however, if you get an M6, there will be far more times you wish you had an automatic. ever drive home from a party at 2am? you'll wish you had an auto. stop and go traffic? you'll wish you had an auto. work commute with a daily driver? you'll wish you had an auto. the only times i ever wish i had an M6 is crusing around on a sunny day during the weekend - and those days don't happen too often

my car is a daily driver. it takes me to work every day, and every commute i'm glad i went with an automatic. i'd go insane driving stick through that. if this car is your daily driver, you'll regret an M6 regularly.

i know you're scared of your A4 grenading, but i can assure you in a nearly stock car, they're a reliable transmission. go on autotrader and find 100,000 mile LS1 A4's. you'll find a lot of them all on their stock transmission. only when you throw in a cam and up the shift points will your trans see trouble. the 4L60E can handle bolt-ons for the most part as long as you maintain it with regular fluid and filter changes, keep it cool and drive like a normal person and not like you stole it - just like any other automatic transmission out there.

I defy everything you thought you knew about college people. I have never been nor will I go to a 2AM party, I have found great pleasure in going through rush hour H-town in my 5.0 with a 3.27 first and 4.10's out back, and it has been my DD for about a year now, no issues. I am in OD by 40mph normally, 1 gear in under every 10mph of acceleration, I never skip any, although I could...

HOWEVER, I am 100% function over form. I want the tranny that will get me there first (more on the street than the track) and will last the longest without major cash outlay (I expect to do a clutch every 75K miles or so).
Old 09-04-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I defy everything you thought you knew about college people. I have never been nor will I go to a 2AM party, I have found great pleasure in going through rush hour H-town in my 5.0 with a 3.27 first and 4.10's out back, and it has been my DD for about a year now, no issues. I am in OD by 40mph normally, 1 gear in under every 10mph of acceleration, I never skip any, although I could...

HOWEVER, I am 100% function over form. I want the tranny that will get me there first (more on the street than the track) and will last the longest without major cash outlay (I expect to do a clutch every 75K miles or so).
drive both and figure it out. I'd say a 6speed...its really easy to drive in dead stop traffic...I do it almost everyday. My stock clutch has 83k on it...and when it dies, I'm just gonna upgrade to a ls7 zo6 clutch becasue i have no major plans for the car. The t56 will outlast an auto too. Keep in mind..if your looking for a car with 60k..make sure the clutch is good...unless your willing to repalce it because not all people have the same luck that I do.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Tech Resident

lol i gotta admit you're a much different person than i am

well, a manual transmission should usually outlast an automatic transmission since there's less strain on the transmission comparatively (unless you're a T-5 guy ). the thing is, your clutch will definitely go and you may have some rear end troubles (no pun intended). i feel a stock car is less likely to break a 4L60E than a stock T-56 is to break a 10-bolt, and since a rear end and clutch is A LOT more expensive than a built 4L60E....

but like brandon said above, drive both. if you can handle stop and go driving and late night driving with an M6, consider it. one thing you should also consider is an automatic is going to be much more weather friendly. it's much harder to drive an M6 in the rain and forget driving it in the snow! let out the clutch a little too fast in the snow and you're in deep trouble whereas an auto (particularly a 2.73 car like mine) has a much more gentle shift resulting in less tire spin and an overall safer drive. consider your own safety also if you don't have a car for all weather conditions. if you have a truck or anoher car, this isn't an issue. i just thought i'd throw it out there.

stanger, you're so scared of the 4L60E it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, i'm sure it's stronger than the tranny you have now in your 5.0. notice the guys that go through 4L60E's are running big H/C setups. well no kidding a stock automatic grenades, show me a stock auto that'll take 450rwhp @ 7200rpm's
Old 09-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
lol i gotta admit you're a much different person than i am

well, a manual transmission should usually outlast an automatic transmission since there's less strain on the transmission comparatively (unless you're a T-5 guy ). the thing is, your clutch will definitely go and you may have some rear end troubles (no pun intended). i feel a stock car is less likely to break a 4L60E than a stock T-56 is to break a 10-bolt, and since a rear end and clutch is A LOT more expensive than a built 4L60E....

but like brandon said above, drive both. if you can handle stop and go driving and late night driving with an M6, consider it. one thing you should also consider is an automatic is going to be much more weather friendly. it's much harder to drive an M6 in the rain and forget driving it in the snow! let out the clutch a little too fast in the snow and you're in deep trouble whereas an auto (particularly a 2.73 car like mine) has a much more gentle shift resulting in less tire spin and an overall safer drive. consider your own safety also if you don't have a car for all weather conditions. if you have a truck or anoher car, this isn't an issue. i just thought i'd throw it out there.

stanger, you're so scared of the 4L60E it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, i'm sure it's stronger than the tranny you have now in your 5.0. notice the guys that go through 4L60E's are running big H/C setups. well no kidding a stock automatic grenades, show me a stock auto that'll take 450rwhp @ 7200rpm's

I ripped out my AOD and put in a TKO500 with a billet flywheel. I have less than 300whp. <----insight into my personality there

Yeah, I agree about the all weather driving. The final drive ratio in my 5.0 in first gear is something like 13:1 and my tires SUCK, so yeah, I have had to learn to be VERY CAREFUL in wet weather and if anyone but me drove the car it would prolly end up in a ditch.

I am beginning to be tempted to go auto, but I found another post of yours claiming the 4L60E is "A **** transmission" or something of the nature arg. Also I would require it have 3.23 gearing, is the 3.23 option very common on 01/02 cars?
Old 09-04-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ripped out my AOD and put in a TKO500 with a billet flywheel. I have less than 300whp. <----insight into my personality there

Yeah, I agree about the all weather driving. The final drive ratio in my 5.0 in first gear is something like 13:1 and my tires SUCK, so yeah, I have had to learn to be VERY CAREFUL in wet weather and if anyone but me drove the car it would prolly end up in a ditch.

I am beginning to be tempted to go auto, but I found another post of yours claiming the 4L60E is "A **** transmission" or something of the nature arg. Also I would require it have 3.23 gearing, is the 3.23 option very common on 01/02 cars?

its hard to say how common that they are, there is build numbers somewhere on this site. 6speed in the snow isn't that bad, i drove my car through 2 winters with high performance summer tires and I haven't crashed my car. Also, unless your tires are really bald..the rain isn't a big deal either...i've never learned why peopel have an issue, of course you can't go full throttle, but normal driving is affected, atleast for me. Once there is snow on the ground..if you try to go up a hill you'll have a problem, but if the roads are flat..it isn't an issue cause you need a lil spin to get going. I remember last year, he really bad rain when it was like 25-30 degrees outside. so the rain hit the ground and froze leaving about 1 inch of ice all over the place, i drove fine on it if you use caution, like in any other car. if your not planning on modding the car a 6speed is the way to go because it'll let you enjoy your car to the fullest stock.

also..another recommendation, if you can avoid it, don't drive in snow, you can get around..you just have to be really cafeful, snow tires may make a difference, i'm gonna try them this year.