Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Help

I have heard of a "cheater" cam alot and was wondering is this commonly used on a stock ls1 or is there some modifications that are needed for it to work... Also does this cam have the lopey effect to it. If so i have also heard stories of upwards to 420hp from this cam, has anyone used this with pretty much a stock set up and if so, what did you get power gain wise...

thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SmokinU
I have heard of a "cheater" cam alot and was wondering is this commonly used on a stock ls1 or is there some modifications that are needed for it to work... Also does this cam have the lopey effect to it. If so i have also heard stories of upwards to 420hp from this cam, has anyone used this with pretty much a stock set up and if so, what did you get power gain wise...

thanks
Thunder Racing makes the Cheater cam if that is what you are refering too, its supposed to idle exactly like a stock cam though i have heard slightly different stories. you would be lucky if the H/C cheater package netted you those kind of power numbers. to get 420 out of just a cam swap would be tough to do even with a VERY aggressive cam
Old 01-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks alot on that info.. I figured to get 420hp would be crazy out of just a cam swap... Is there a specific cam that you would recommend besides the cheater cam? Also, I really love the lopey sound of the older generation street drags.... Is there a more aggressive cam that helps with achieving this without getting to crazy... What spec should I be looking for.... I will be getting headers soon as well so not all stock. lol
Old 01-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Thanks alot on that info.. I figured to get 420hp would be crazy out of just a cam swap... Is there a specific cam that you would recommend besides the cheater cam? Also, I really love the lopey sound of the older generation street drags.... Is there a more aggressive cam that helps with achieving this without getting to crazy... What spec should I be looking for.... I will be getting headers soon as well so not all stock. lol
Ide go with a 224/224 cam, people have been bashing them saying they are too small but they seem to be putting down great numbers all over the place. You'll notice a difference over a stock cam. Check out Texas speed on the sponser listing you could go with their Torquer v.2 cam or go higher from them. i would highly recommend purchasing the cam package though as you would need to upgrade the valve springs to take a higher lift.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Why not Magic Stick 4?
Old 01-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BAD WS6
Why not Magic Stick 4?
That is a VERY aggressive cam, makes very decent power, but only when combined with other mods like heads, intake and headers along with valvetrain upgrades. Its not very streetable either, all depends on what you want to do with the car.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

So you're saying it's too lopey for the average daily driver who wants to gain 80 HP from the cam and tune and still race around on the streets?
Old 01-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BAD WS6
So you're saying it's too lopey for the average daily driver who wants to gain 80 HP from the cam and tune and still race around on the streets?

Its really a matter of opinion, what may be too lopey for me may be perfectly acceptable to you. With that size of a cam you need to do more work then simply changing the cam. The entire valve train needs to be replaced, headers, converter, gears or else you probably wont even see half of that advertized rating. Its not a sleeper cam, it makes some noise, personally i dont like "sounding" like i have something under the hood. In my opinion its too big, but it sure is possible
Old 01-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

I do appreciate all the info guys... I am also trying to get my hands on Stainless works headers, from what I have heard they are on par with QTP/KOOKS... Has anyone used these headers before? I know to stay away from the SLP headers because of ground clearance.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Also the 02's have the LS6 intake if im not mistaking so I wouldnt need to go to FAST intake i dont believe....
Old 01-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Also the 02's have the LS6 intake if im not mistaking so I wouldnt need to go to FAST intake i dont believe....
Kooks, QTP, stainless works all make very good headers. i would definitly go with them if you can fit them in your budget, otherwise go with coated pacesetters. Yes your 02 has the LS6 intake manifold, the fast 90 intake does flow better but you wont see much of a gain till you get over 500 horsepower
Old 01-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

I might be picking up the headers for 400 bucks that pretty good right.. I have a crappy flowmaster cat back system on it now(previous owner's idea) but I believe i shouldnt have any trouble connecting the two... I think Im gonna wait on the cam till i get the headers installed then move on from there... Dont want to get ahead of myself... Still very new to fuel injected cars lol.... Also had carbs...
Old 01-02-2007, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

I love noise.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

good choice on headers and waiting for the cam. might want to think about getting a cutout since it will have way more flow then the flowmaster- thats if you dont mind the loudness.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah that is what i was thinking of doing.. Besides louder the better to me... Never gets old
Old 01-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Although Ive been going to the track since a small child (no ear protection) so that might account for the loudness not bothering me
Old 01-02-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cutouts don't seem that loud to me
Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Cut-outs are louder but only work better with LT's I think. Running open headers is fun!