Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on introductory modifications to my 00 TA

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking for advice on introductory modifications to my 00 TA

I purchased my TA back in june, and since then I have wanted to modify it, any advice would help, here is a list of the things i noticed it already had when i bought it at the dealership,

I am going to do some more research to see about what else might be lurking in there.

I own a 2000 TA with approx. 72,000 miles
5.7L LS1 6 spd.

stuff already on the car when bought at dealership,

BBK 80mm throttle body
SLP cold air intake with a Whisper lid and modified airbox

Personal Mods

K&N air filter (think the prior owner kept the one that was in there)
B&M short throw shifter kit w/ Hurst handle (looks like a lever handle silver in color)
Flowmaster 80 series crossflow muffler
Brand new Kumho 712 series tires 280 tread wear AAtraction and A temp

looking for other add-ons need direction

(I had her for about 3 wks and then was t-boned in a hit and run by an '03 mustang gt) She's repaired and actually rides better and drives tighter after that alignment, also had to get it painted twice the repair shop screwed it up the first time and it looked metallic purple, it's supposed to be the midnight blue it is now. Will try to get pics on here soon

Last edited by BlownAwayJoe; 01-06-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Launching!

what year TA did you buy? based on what has been done to it so far i would go with headers y pipe and catback, all depends on how much you want to spend, how much power you want to make, how fast you want to go, and basically any other preferences you might have in what your trying to get out of the car
Old 01-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your car equipped with an A4 (automatic 4L60E tranny) or a M6 (T-56 manual tranny)?

The first mods IMO for someone looking to do basics performance
upgrades should be intake & exhaust. Let that motor breathe.
Outside of that, you can't go wrong with some drag radials. The
next step would be heads & cam, or maybe a nitrous kit.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you are ready for a catback. Give us some more info on what you want to do to your car and how much money you want to spend and we will take it from there.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Cool Prices

I am in the navy E-4 lol so i don't make a whole lot, I am in prototype now and make about $400 extra a month, so i could save for a lil bit and splurge when i have enough. Plus I have to admit other than the minor mods and doing my own oil changes i don't really know jack about what i am getting myself into, I do want to learn though. I would like to get about 450 or more hp out of my car. My dream is to eventually get a Corvette.

Last edited by BlownAwayJoe; 01-06-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownAwayJoe
Plus I have to admit other than the minor mods and doing my own oil changes i don't really know jack about what i am getting myself into, I do want to learn though. I would like to get about 450 or more hp out of my car.
Headers/catback and intake manifold will be some of the best mods for just bolt ons. There are various headers and catback systems to suit your budget/preference. Once you read a few threads here, you'll be able to install them no problem. This is THE best place to learn. Plus I have no doubt that there will be some fellow LS1Tech-ers that are near where you at and could help you out.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

do the intake for sure, then your exhaust, and maybe doing a cam
Old 01-09-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For power I would do what is suggested above. For better handling I would do a 35mm front sway bar, rear lower control arms and rod ended panhard bar. If you have extra cash, upgrade the shocks.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Banned

The most basic mods IMO to do first are intake and exhaust. You want the engine to breathe. As far as intake a ported TB will work nicely with an ls6 intake manifold. ls1 motors really wake up with headers and true duals. Something like Pacesetter Headers, and Bassani True Dual exhaust (this TD kit is refined and stainless steel).

After intake and exhaust, look into suspension and chassis, then maybe a cam with supporting valvetrain components.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headers/ory/cutout (flowmaster muffler flows poorly), then id say some subframe connectors, lower control arms, and adjustable panhard rod, ls6 intake manifold, 25% pulley, new clutch (ls7/ls2 combo works well), cam and valvetrain upgrades, etc...