Sponsored by:

S/C'ing a stock LS1

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S/C'ing a stock LS1

Hey guys,

Well this is my first time posting on this forum. And I'm to be buying a 2002 SS in the next 2 months or so. Just depends. But I'm planning on putting a Vortech S/C with Aftercooler on the unmodified ram air LS1. And I was curious with anything would happen to it? Like any lagging, shorts, etc. I will be running it on 91 octane from the pump. So exactly how would mileage be on this after being equipped with the S/C. And how much would it be to install, tune, and dyno? If you guys can give me an estimate, and a local shop in Southern California to do so? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ship it to Bob at WWW.EXOTICPERFORMANCEPLUS.COM and get a Procharger. No one better in customer service than Bob Beam. Many will agree.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

get a ProCharger its worth the extra money. powerdyne & vortech arent worth it. i have a friend that works at WS-6Store and if you call about ordering a supercharger and don't want the ProCharger he tells people he rather not even sell them a supercharger because he can put money on it that you wont be happy.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marky Mark
Hey guys,

Well this is my first time posting on this forum. And I'm to be buying a 2002 SS in the next 2 months or so. Just depends. But I'm planning on putting a Vortech S/C with Aftercooler on the unmodified ram air LS1. And I was curious with anything would happen to it? Like any lagging, shorts, etc. I will be running it on 91 octane from the pump. So exactly how would mileage be on this after being equipped with the S/C. And how much would it be to install, tune, and dyno? If you guys can give me an estimate, and a local shop in Southern California to do so? Thanks.
To add a first point, the Vortech is fine. It's not any better/worse thn the ATI. Just different. Do a search. They're both good kits. Main difference is the ATI uses it's own oil + you'll lose a cooling fan. Vortech is harder to install + you have to tap the oil pan + it doesn't look as "nice" under the hood as the ATI.

Anyhow, installing on a STOCK car is easy. That's what the kits are origonally designed for. The Vortech has everything you need, to include the aftermarket tune in a Predator Programmer. Install isn't that hard for DIY. If you pay for install, you're looking over $1K.

The two things you'll notice is yes, your gas mileage will go down and yes, it will make more power.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Well at exotic performance plus....they install the Procharger with the purchase. But I'm kinda skeptical about shipping my vehicle out there. Unless I'm going to drive over there, and spend the time out there until its done. So I'm gunna do my research on the Vortech, and the Procharger, unless someone can link to a comparison page?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:11 PM

But I'm kinda skeptical about shipping my vehicle out there.

Don't be skeptical. EPP is the best. Hands down. I wish someone would have told me what I am telling you.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Teching In

How much exactly would it cost for a transport from where I live, to there, and back? Because I'm not really looking for it to be a bit pricey. Also off a stock, unmodified engine with the Procharger S/C, how much would I get off of the 2002 SS on 91 octane?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Plenty
+1 for ATI Procharger
Old 01-16-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

you cant run over 6 psi on a stock motor without having to tweak some stuff. or let me take that back, you can but youre gonna be asking for it
Old 01-16-2007, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tainted
you cant run over 6 psi on a stock motor without having to tweak some stuff. or let me take that back, you can but youre gonna be asking for it
Not the case. Intercooled can take 8-10 psi easily/safely.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Banned

Hey guys,

I say get the car first then worry about the procharger next
Old 01-16-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Go out to EPP with your car during the summer. Great turn around, and the best customer service in the LSX world. Bob is the man.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Teching In

I was talking to a guy who knows a lot about cars saying that the Procharger S/C on the SS will put in the high 11's on the quarter mile.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it! It is approx $600 to $800 dollars each way from Ca. to Indiana. Sending the car to me means you don't pay state sales tax, which would probably cover one way of the shipping. I had a customer from Ca. ship me his new '06 CTS-V for an ATI ProCharger install.
You can purchase just the ProCharger kit from me, and have someone else install it as well. You will need to use the P-1SC-1 ProCharger, such as this one. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...x.html?item=34
The P-1SC-1 kit is 50 state legal, where the D-1SC is not. The tune that comes with the P-1SC-1 is the reason it is 50 state certified. The D-1SC is not offered from ATI with a tune, which is why it is not legal in Ca. I do offer the D-1SC's with a tune, from us, but of course it would not be legal in Ca. I would opt for the thicker 4.5" intercoolers that can be purchased with this kit.
We typically see an increase of 140 rwhp with 8 psi of boost, and at normal driving speeds, we don't see a decrease in fuel mileage.
Check out the 740 rwhp '04 C5 Corvette in the project car section of my website. The customer of this C5 took it on a vacation with his daughter from Illinois to Virginia, and got 28 mpg!!! Bob
Old 01-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Yeah I'm interested in the D-1SC for my soon to be LS1 SS. I would like to get it tuned if I bring my vehicle down there. But how is it not legal in California? Just curious on why it isn't? What exactly is the difference between just the D-1SC and the P-1SC-1 with 4.5 Intercooler, and 8 Rib Drive System?What would be the RWHP, and RWTQ on a un-modified LS1 engine? Also long would it take for in the installation if I drive my vehicle?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:47 PM

Yeah I'm interested in the D-1SC for my soon to be LS1 SS. I would like to get it tuned if I bring my vehicle down there. But how is it not legal in California? Just curious on why it isn't? What exactly is the difference between just the D-1SC and the P-1SC-1 with 4.5 Intercooler, and 8 Rib Drive System?What would be the RWHP, and RWTQ on a un-modified LS1 engine? Also long would it take for in the installation if I drive my vehicle?

Call Bob. It is time well spent. He will not be in a hurry either.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Teching In

do the heads and cam 1st??...just a thought
Old 01-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Launching!

Get the car and see how you like it and how it feels before planning the blower. Think about the other things you might need to replace when you bolt on +140 HP without changing anything else. You said money is a factor...do you have money to pay for a new clutch,wear and tear on the rear end and tranny, etc? Going to upgrade the suspension to help put down all that power? How about a set of good tires?

Get the car and see what you think first...a tragic mistake is to make plans for so far in the future with the car when you dont even have it yet.

Ohh, and if your deadset on having a blown one, why not try and buy one already blown with other supporting mods? It will be way cheaper in the long run.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Tech Resident

to the OP: a supercharger installation should run you over $10,000. it'll be roughly $7,000 to get that supercharger system installed and tuned, plus another $3,000 for a new rear end and clutch, installed, which you WILL need, and another $1,000 for a fuel system upgrade. you're gonna need a new high output fuel pump and new injectors, don't forget. since you're going to drive an M6, you could PROBABLY get away with the stock transmission as they're pretty tough, assuming you know how to drive it. if you were driving an A4, you'd have to buy a new tranny, but you'd probably be okay with the stock rear, so that's a tradeoff. don't forget another $1,000 for suspension mods and new tires.

expect to pay $10,000 - $12,000 if you want to properly supercharge your car. if you leave out any of these steps, you'll regret it when you find yourself stranded somewhere. make no mistake about it, if you supercharge your car and see another 140rwhp out of it, you WILL break your rear end. a stock M6 can break the stock 10-bolt, so do you have any idea how easy it will be when you're putting down 450rwhp? that's right, VERY easy. the spider gears in your torsen will turn to dust, you'll chip your pinions and you will snap your axles. it's not a matter of if, but when. invest in a nice 9" rear end and never worry about it again.

actually, i think bob at EPP can hook you up with a new rear end, too. you could probably schedule the supercharger install, fuel system upgrade, tune and rear end swap all at the same time if you want. who knows, maybe he'll even cut you a deal as you'll be giving him one hell of a sale. i hear nothing but good things about bob, and if i were ever going to supercharge my car (i'd love a D-1SC kit ), i think it would be worth it to take a week off from work and see him.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the input guys. Ill be looking into all of this, this follow week to see where I'm headed. I've been searching for a blown SS or even a WS6 and there's no good news in finding any anywhere. Unless one of you guys can link me to a autotrader or recycler ad?