Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Too Long?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Running Too Long?

This may sound like a dumb question, but I started my car to warm up before I left work. Well, i got stuck talking for awhlie nd before you know it, 40 min. have passed. The question is can letting the car warm up for that long hurt anything?
Besides gas! I usually don't let warm up for more than 15 min.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

just watch the temps... as long as it doesnt over heat or for whatever reason lose oil pressure you are just fine. this girl i know left her car on all day while she was at work. i am talking over 6 hours straight running in the parking lot. no lie and hers was just fine.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

Oil pressure was on the low side after I got in and took off, but stayed in the middle of my gauge as I was cruisin.' At idle it stayed over the red.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Is this thread a joke?????
Old 01-18-2007, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

No. Just wanna take care of my baby.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are TONS of threads discussing this very topic. The conclusion has been made that it's better to go ahead and drive your vehicle right away, but accelerate slowly and keep the revs down til warm. I would never let anything I have sit and idle for 40 mins
Old 01-18-2007, 07:28 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

It won’t hurt anything once in a while, so long as the motor doesn’t overheat. I wouldn’t do it every day just due to the waste of gas and probable carbon build up on the plugs, etc., but it’s not a big deal on occasion.

Example:

I’ve been storing LS1 cars every winter now for the last 8+ years. Usually once a month during the winter months, I start the motor and let it run for a total of about 30-45 mins. Once the coolant is warm, I’ll bring the rpms up to about 2000 (no more than 2500) and hold it for a few mins just to heat the oil further. I also run the A/C system to lubricate the seals, preventing leakage of the freon. After all these years, it’s never caused a problem. In addition, I usually try to heat the garage up to 40 degrees or so before starting the motor, that way it warms up quicker.

I know some people prefer to let the motor sit unstarted during storage because they are concerned about moisture in the oil, but I’m from the other school of thought. I don’t like the idea of the rings sitting on the same spot on the cylinder walls for 4-5 months during storage. Also I like to get a fresh coating of oil across the internals and run the A/C system. Starting once a month with a 30-45 min run time has been working great for many years of storage now. And I never have any signs of moisture build up on the underside of the oil fill cap either, nor does the oil ever have that milky white cream that usually comes with moisture contamination. I use good quality synthetic oil and change it often.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input fellas.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by knight rider WS6
This may sound like a dumb question, but I started my car to warm up before I left work. Well, i got stuck talking for awhlie nd before you know it, 40 min. have passed. The question is can letting the car warm up for that long hurt anything?
Besides gas! I usually don't let warm up for more than 15 min.
Idling a car to warm it up is a waste. Just take it easy until it is up to temp. It's not especially bad for it, but it is better to just drive it...and take it easy. Also, remember that driving it warms everything up. Transmission, brakes, engine, rear end/diff fluid...

And yes, this is a topic that comes up a LOT.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I remember one time I came home from work and had a hand full of things to carry so I brought them inside well I forgot to go back outside and turn of the car and left it on all night till the next morning when I was running around the house looking for my keys. When I went outside the car was on. The only thing it did was burn a shitload of gas. That was when I first bought my T/A.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:49 AM
Teching In

I started up my Civic the other afternoon to warm it up and forgot all about it and it ran the next morning till 6 am. 15 hours it ran with the heater cranked on high. Used almost 1/2 a tank of gas. Checked all the fluids, drove it and it was fine. Hope I never do that again.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Our cars are capable of going WELL over 150,000 miles I'm sure sitting at idle did little to your car and probably not going to overheat in this **** cold weather we are having now. Gm puts them on a dyno forever testing them before they even put them in cars and some they run till fail for hours at full throttle. Hell I bet 20 minutes in stop and go is worse on your car then letting it idle for 40 min. Your fine.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 hour of idling is 26 miles driven as far as wear-tear according to FoMoCo. You also foul plugs easier and could get fuel dilution.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marblehead
I started up my Civic the other afternoon to warm it up and forgot all about it and it ran the next morning till 6 am. 15 hours it ran with the heater cranked on high. Used almost 1/2 a tank of gas. Checked all the fluids, drove it and it was fine. Hope I never do that again.
Heater on full for 15 hours straight? It must have been hot as **** inside that car. I'm surprised you didn't melt anything.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The answer to your question is NO. Letting it warm up that long won't hurt anything. Even in the summer on the hottest day in Death Valley.

Lots of cars get stolen that way though!
Old 01-24-2007, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by knight rider WS6
before you know it, 40 min. have passed. The question is can letting the car warm up for that long hurt anything?
Yeah I bet GM never thought to test a car ticking over for 40 mins
Old 01-24-2007, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Hey now, take it easy on the guy. No need to get worked up. It's a valid question...and the fact is that it isn't a great idea to leave your car idling. How is one to know what will be bad for the car? There are plenty of things you could easily do that are definately not good for a vehicle.

This IS the newbie section...I suggest you only post if you have something even remotely helpfull.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Yeah we cant know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING like you

On the other hand this thread has come up alot and no it will not hurt anything but like other members said watch your temperature, etc.

I understand your car is your most prized possesion and you want to take care of it, but the search engine will help you alot and will protect you before all the bench racers come here to scorn you.

Next time .....or just PM me if ya need ANY help

Thanks
Ls1tech.com Staff