Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need good advice re-building LS1

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need good advice re-building LS1

I have logged many hours reading, searching and still have some unanswered questions. Here are My plans.
I have purchased a high mileage LS1 engine to put in My 03 S10 with plans to freshen the engine before installing. I want a smooth idle and no lope or loud exhaust but want all the power I can muster, money provided!
Currently My plans are to use LS6 intake,heads, cam, and pushrods. Katech rod bolts, custom built headers and dual exhaust with out cats.
Also I plan to use a 160 degree thermostat and port the throttle body.
My questions revolve around what brand rod and main bearings to use and what head gaskets to use. I have heard about the cometics but am un-certain if I will benefit from them.
If the best parts for My application are GM I can get them locally, if not GM please tell Me where You would suggest buying.
Thank You in advance for any and all help! Carl.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

H/C/LT's/No cats and you want it quiet and with no lope? You'll be hauling *** in that little S10 but I think youre plans for a sleeper aren't going to work.

and I think your sig should be changed to If it has **** or tires, its a waste if damn money.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

go to www.zr2.com

There is a guy on there with the name either LS1ZR2 or ZR2LS1, one of those two. But he can answer alot of your questions as he dropped an LS1 in a ZR2 as you can tell buy is name. And I believe he is an engineer at GM, if I remember correctly. Its been awhile sence I been on there.

There are times I wished I'd kept my ZR2 and done the same, I just needed alittle more truck for towing.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Currently My plans are to use LS6 intake,heads, cam, and pushrods. Katech rod bolts, custom built headers and dual exhaust with out cats.
That is going to be pretty durn loud. I would say forget the sleeper image and let em know what it's got
Old 03-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehatcher
That is going to be pretty durn loud. I would say forget the sleeper image and let em know what it's got
why will it be loud? this is a common misconception that true duals have to be loud. corvettes and mustangs come with true duals from the factory and they're as quiet as a civic. this is an S10, not an f-body. there is plenty of room for larger mufflers.

when you make your true duals, just feed them into something like stock C6 corvette mufflers. corvettes are as quiet as quiet can be and apparently it's still enough to flow 400hp at the crank. they may be a tad restrictive, but you'll easily be able to flow over 400rwhp out of that setup. it won't be as quiet as a cadillac due to the LTs and no cats, but it'll be as close as you can get. btw, i recommend cats on your setup. they're not gonna cost you much hp at all (get the magnaflow metal brick ones) but they'll ensure that you are as quiet as possible. as for not having any lope, putting a cam on a 114 LSA will get rid of most of the lope, and through stock corvette mufflers, you won't even know it's there. get something like a cheaTR cam. they don't have much more lope than stock but still make great power. you don't HAVE to be loud and lopey to make a lot of power. most people just chose to be loud when they have a lot of power because they want to drive a race car.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

i think the issue here is that your contradicting yourself....
you want a cam, but no lope?
you want duals with no cats?
something else is traction...your not going to be able to use that stock s10 rear for long...so youll need a bigger badder rear, which will be loud in itself

look, in a typical s10 build your looking a maybe some firewall cutting, no ac, and a bitch at the passanger header...your going to make plenty of power with just putting a ls1 into the truck....close to 2/3s more power...

if you wanna get such a small cam im not sure its worth it....you can get close to 400rwhp out of a full bolt on ls1....id save the money instead of H/C and make sure you can put that power down, by having a good rear
Old 03-11-2007, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Sorry for the confusion guys,
I will try to ask My question again. What brand of bearings work best in the LS engine in street conditions. Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming. Carl.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Oh, I should have added...Iam a newbie here at LS 1 tech, not the case with building chassis, back halving, narrowing rear ends, building headers/ exhaust, engine swaps, four link suspensions and on and on.
Iam a newbie to the LS engine!
Why anyone would cut the firewall to put a small block in an s 10 is beyond Me? I havent seen that before and hope I don't. Air conditioning is something You can keep or delete with this swap.
A small cam is what I chose to use, I have heard the LS 6 run and it suits Me fine. I cannot find in My post where I contradicted Myself, sorry You found it that way. Thanks again, Carl.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

ive just seen the firewall cut before on a 350 install....i said ac delete is typical...not the must...and if you do know about suspensions and the like...then will you will know what im talking about when i refer to traction of s10s when you drop a v8 in....

you want the car very quiet...but your not wanting the things to help keep it quiet...a ls6 cam im not sure i would even bother with...do you know the difference's in lift between a ls6 and a ls1 cam?...you'd be better off just paying for a better intake manifold...

clevite/mogul bearings work fine....
Old 03-11-2007, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

How many miles and what kind of driving was done on the engine You used the clevites in? How about the federal mogul's? Thanks, Carl.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

my personal motor doesnt have either.....in motor rebuilds however most people who are beating on there lower end usually use the clevites...some others out there might be different...

the moguls are good replacements after the stocks, they wear ok and theyd be fine for your street application
Old 03-11-2007, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

my personal motor doesnt have either.....in motor rebuilds however most people who are beating on there lower end usually use the clevites...some others out there might be different...
^^Quote from staringback05^^
mmmmmm...ok, what are You basing Your answer on? Have You used these brands in an LS engine? Carl.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

based off working for a gm tech for 4 years, (speiler,nashville tn) in his shop when he rebuilt motors....we usually would build back to OEM specs...but once in a while someone would come in with a performance request...